GDT: How low can you go (crowd)?

bonwich

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Welmer ties Big Chill and Remekun for single game blocks with 6 swats tonight.  Hines has a very solid game at PG, 37 minutes, with 3 assists and only one TO.  His 8 points were a nice add on.  Of course, some MBM's say assists don't mean much. 

This team cannot shoot FT's.  They are on pace to be the second worst SLU FT team in the past 20 years.  Who would have thought that Welmer is turning out to be one of our better FT shooters on the team.

Attendance was the lowest ever at Chaifetz.

Speaking of Welmer, his uncle, retired ref Steve Welmer was in the house to see him play. I couldn't make the game but listened on the radio. Earl had a nice interview with him at halftime. It was his first time ever in Chaifetz and he was very impressed. Said it's nice and big but not too big that a small crowd can't make noise.  I believe he said he goes back to the old Kiel and he reffed at KielvastradeWhatever many times. Earl spotted him talking to Anthony Bonner before the interview, said they were just catching up. Said he loves to run into old players from the games and years he worked. Mentioned Scott Highmark who I guess was there doing TV.

He said he thinks the top three teams (most games) he worked were Kansas, Indiana and SLU.

I always thought he was one of the best referees in the midwest, if not the country. Another was Tom O'Neal. I didn't realize how spoiled we were til we left CUSA and hardly ever saw guys of their caliber again.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

Speaking of Welmer, his uncle, retired ref Steve Welmer was in the house to see him play. I couldn't make the game but listened on the radio. Earl had a nice interview with him at halftime. It was his first time ever in Chaifetz and he was very impressed. Said it's nice and big but not too big that a small crowd can't make noise.  I believe he said he goes back to the old Kiel and he reffed at KielvastradeWhatever many times. Earl spotted him talking to Anthony Bonner before the interview, said they were just catching up. Said he loves to run into old players from the games and years he worked. Mentioned Scott Highmark who I guess was there doing TV.

He said he thinks the top three teams (most games) he worked were Kansas, Indiana and SLU.

I always thought he was one of the best referees in the midwest, if not the country. Another was Tom O'Neal. I didn't realize how spoiled we were til we left CUSA and hardly ever saw guys of their caliber again.

Welmer reffed constantly in the CUSA days.. CUSA had some of the best officiating in the country, guys were Final Four regulars.

I had a nice quick conversation with Steve after the game. Told him I missed yelling at him. He laughed. My favorite Welmer  story was back in the day someone in my group yelled at him that he looked a lot thinner in the movie Blue Chips. He stopped,turned around and said you really know how to hurt a guy.  He and Tom O'Neil were really good at talking to the crowd. Speaking of O'Neil I saw him working a game on TV. Still plugging along.