January Turns Into February ....

Taj79

.. and the A10 marches on.

Currently we sit tied for the #9 spot at 3 and 6 with Fordham but hold the tiebreaker beating two higher ranked opponents in GeeDubya (#4) and Davidson (#7), Fordham has only beaten the three teams lower than us in the conference in Mason, La Salle and Umass. The first tiebreaker is head-to-head so that game against Fordham on February 20 could loom large. A nine seed finish gets us out of the first games at the Barclays in March. Some minor achievement there. Although no matter, I think we are one and done when its allover.

Problem is, other than that Fordham game, I don't see another win available on the schedule unless the trend changes soon. So 4 and 12 might be it in conference. Other than us, Fordham has a winnable game at Rose Hill in a rematch against Umass, a team they have already beaten. But given I've done these projection looks over the years, the only thing I know is strange things always happen in the A10. Teams beat who they shouldn't, lose where they shouldn't and so on.

Got to watch two more A10 battles yesterday in Dubya at Mason and Richmond at the Bonnies. Dubya prevailed 76 to 70, but they do not look good at all in my opinion. They are still a 4 to 4.5 man team in McDonald, Garino, Larsen and Cavanaugh. The half player seems to be Watanabe who, despite still shooting like crap at 1-for-7, hit double figures due to free throws down the stretch. Mason did not have the senior leadership to play with the Colonials down the stretch -- lots of young players making mistakes.

The Bonnies, on the other hand, dismantled Richmond 84 to 68 in Otterville. Third smallest school in terms of enrollment in Division 1 basketball and apparently every student was in the stands (what else are you going to do there, right brownie?). And the Bonnies were down six at half. Richmond has just beaten GeeDubya in DC in two overtimes so the announcers were talking tired legs but c'mon man. They're kids. Dion Wright (he's like 35 by now, right) had 19, Marcus Posely 26 and Jaylen Adams 18. Those three were pretty damn good last night. How come they are in Otterville? And the freshman big, Jordan Tyson, showed some developmental promise as well. Richmond is weird --- how they win in Foggy Bottom and lose in Otterville, no clue. So maybe there is hope to steal a fifth win when they visit Chaifetz in February.

Can anybody explain Yarbrough Saturday night? Dressed but never got off bench. Benching? Still concussion protocol? Seems like a long time for someone who just ran into a shoulder in practice. Not making light of concussions --- just seems an extremely long wait period.

If our guards can't match up and slow down Posely and Adams, take the Otters big time. Might be the best backcourt from "bad" A10 teams -- even above Mason and Coulter. How does Schmidt do it?

-I watched quite a bit of GW/Mason and given that we beat GW I was surprised about all the talk of GW in the Tourney, if we beat a team they should not be dancing

-watched some other games over the weekend and saw freshmen bigs helping their teams, I don't know if they went to prep school or not, I just know we don't have 'em and rarely have

-hopefully if we play on Thursday that is not taken as a big step forward by the Admin/decision makers

I think MY was just cleared to play on Sat morning and Fri was his first practice back. Not sure I'd read much into not playing on Saturday. It'll be interesting to see how much time he gets on Sun.

-so there is a separate clearance for practice and another for games? he got hurt in practice, as did AG and EW, not sure that makes sense

As for the Bills , they have slipped back to D+ (where they were at the beginnibg of conference play)...with 1 more projected win on the schedule

I guess we will see how the next few weeks play out, but what an odd month with our offense (currently rated 298th by Pomeroy) catching fire for that short stretch. Definitely makes things difficult for the Wiz, but it looks like we may be back to where we were before that offensive explosion.