Lessons learned thru 4 games

slu72

1.) Our FR do have skills and talents. Also, like their resilience, ie they don't fold under pressure. They all have had their shining moments, but none like MR had last night.

2.) Our FR are subject to make FR mistakes both on D and O. At times they're thinking too much. This was expected.

3.) Our SOPH's have been somewhat of a disappointment. MC has had his moments. RA can rebound but can't score. TL doesn't look like the same player he did late last year.

4.) MCB is about as expected, but he shouldn't be the PG. But he can score when he's hot. He's had way too many TO's for a JR.

5.) AY certainly has moments where he's shown us what he's capable of. Maybe he should be more of a leader/assertive out there? He plays good D. Did expect him to be more of a 3 pt threat.

6.) Overall team play on offense has been inconsistent at best. There seems to be little flow to the offense that we all came accustomed to the last 3 years. Don't know if this is because JC's offense is that different from RM's, and face it he didn't need to coach offense the last two years those guys had it down pat, or it's just the natural learning process of a young team. Too much standing around. And we're getting little inside scoring except from our guards.

7.) Overall team play on defense is ahead of where I thought it would be. Yes, still mistakes, no rotating down to provided help for example, but we've been rather stingy. Now that could be due to the competition, and TXCC showed we might not have shut down guys for a team's top players. We had them in JJ and MM.

8.) Overall, a W-L better than I expected which was 2-2. The ISU win on the road was very promising. ISU may not be that good but every road game is tough. The resilience of this team is promising. They've come back in every win. Very good sign that they are a competitive bunch.

9.) Going forward- Still a magical mystery tour bus ride since we're now going to be facing some D1 teams from power conferences and a very good squad in WSU.

I would disagree with #4...Sure, McBroom is leading the team in turnovers, but he's also playing the most minutes. His 2.5 Turnovers Per Game (in 30 Minutes Per) is comparable to Jett's 2.9 (in 32 Minutes Per) last season. I think he's doing 'okay' in that department. He certainly can improve though, as can the entire team. I think part of the problem is that a lot of our guards look lost on offense, which results in passing the ball around and then have to force it at some point (out of frustration or shot clock). In that respect, McBroom often gets stuck having to blindly drive the lane, which is definitely not his forte.

I would also add that McBroom's defense has improved by far...which is surprising.

I would disagree with #4...Sure, McBroom is leading the team in turnovers, but he's also playing the most minutes. His 2.5 Turnovers Per Game (in 30 Minutes Per) is comparable to Jett's 2.9 (in 32 Minutes Per) last season. I think he's doing 'okay' in that department. He certainly can improve though, as can the entire team. I think part of the problem is that a lot of our guards look lost on offense, which results in passing the ball around and then have to force it at some point (out of frustration or shot clock). In that respect, McBroom often gets stuck having to blindly drive the lane, which is definitely not his forte.

I would also add that McBroom's defense has improved by far...which is surprising.

Good points. McBroom has played well and having to play with an inexperienced surrounding cast makes his job even more difficult. Sometimes he is just scrambling to make something happen late in the shot clock because nobody else has been able to get open to get a shot. He is never going to be KM or JJ, so that will frustrate some people, but he is pretty darn good. Our best shooter, defense is improving and he should become more effective as a playmaker as those around him gain experience. I also feel like as Ash gets more comfortable, they will get better playing together. Now, they often don't seem to be on the same page.

6.) Overall team play on offense has been inconsistent at best. There seems to be little flow to the offense that we all came accustomed to the last 3 years. Don't know if this is because JC's offense is that different from RM's, and face it he didn't need to coach offense the last two years those guys had it down pat, or it's just the natural learning process of a young team. Too much standing around. And we're getting little inside scoring except from our guards.

I'd have to disagree with this point. I thought in the second half of the Indiana State game we were seeing an offensive flow we had never seen before. The driving to the hoop, then dishing to a cutting teammate was very refreshing to see. In that game, I thought this new wave of Billikens looked to be more aggressive and willing to take a few more calculated chances within the structure of the offense.

What I saw in this game against NCAT was just an inexperienced team getting overwhelmed by a zone defense. Just some growing pains, they'll get used to the zone and learn how attack it. And Crews is still founding out what guys to use in general, let alone a good five to put out there against a zone. The team energy just wasn't there until Miles and Manning broke out. I think that was partially due to the frustration of the zone defense NCAT was using.

10) None of our post players, Gillmann, Jolly, or Manning, have risen above the other two. Collectively they are at 39.8 minutes per game, 8.1 points per game, and 6.1 rebounds per game. You would like to see one of them step up, but if it is going to be post by committee, so be it. Getting 8 points and 6 boards out of the five spot isn't bad; it isn't great, but I can live with it. To me Manning's slight advantage is that he protects the rim better than the other two.

1.) Our FR do have skills and talents. Also, like their resilience, ie they don't fold under pressure. They all have had their shining moments, but none like MR had last night.

2.) Our FR are subject to make FR mistakes both on D and O. At times they're thinking too much. This was expected.

3.) Our SOPH's have been somewhat of a disappointment. MC has had his moments. RA can rebound but can't score. TL doesn't look like the same player he did late last year.

4.) MCB is about as expected, but he shouldn't be the PG. But he can score when he's hot. He's had way too many TO's for a JR.

5.) AY certainly has moments where he's shown us what he's capable of. Maybe he should be more of a leader/assertive out there? He plays good D. Did expect him to be more of a 3 pt threat.

7.) Overall team play on defense is ahead of where I thought it would be. Yes, still mistakes, no rotating down to provided help for example, but we've been rather stingy. Now that could be due to the competition, and TXCC showed we might not have shut down guys for a team's top players. We had them in JJ and MM.

8.) Overall, a W-L better than I expected which was 2-2. The ISU win on the road was very promising. ISU may not be that good but every road game is tough. The resilience of this team is promising. They've come back in every win. Very good sign that they are a competitive bunch.

9.) Going forward- Still a magical mystery tour bus ride since we're now going to be facing some D1 teams from power conferences and a very good squad in WSU.

Excellent summary. And I agree that the Sophs have had every chance to prove themselves... and while none are playing bad, and while baby steps are being taken, it is clear that none have really seized the opportunity either. Personally, I am most disappointed in them in that I did figure they would be carrying us early in the season based upon TL's play the end of last year, MC's development and maturity along with positive pre-season comments by JC and RA now that he is healthy and has year under his belt. Instead, McBroom and Ash have probably the been the best but both will hopefully play better and more consistently. As a result, we have had to turn to the Frosh for assistance/leadership in winning. Over the past 4 games, Reynolds seized the opportunity last night and showed flashes in other games. And didn't he score the first basket to end the 0-10 drought to start the road game and Indiana State?. MY showed flashes in what, the ISU game as well. DR was very impressive in the first game against SIUC. MB has had his moments in several games. AG was very impressive in the SIUC game and must have done well in practice to earn the right to start last night's game. And I personally have not seen enough of Jolly to give an accurate opinion. In short, the Freshmen has exceeded my expectations for their early season contributions. I do remember that Dwayne Evans really didn't get much playing time his Freshman year until conference play.

I remain hopeful, though, that all of our kids are either inexperienced and/or rusty and that what they really need is playing time in real games. If and when the turnovers decrease and the easy baskets are made, we should be a much improved team.