I used to like Notre Dame

kshoe

I think that if ND went from the Big East it's going to be to the Big Ten, not the ACC....and I don't think any dominoes will fall after that

ND sees the writing on the wall, they aren't going to get special treatment if the BCS is renewed, so they're looking to get stronger through affiliation.

if notre dame leaves the big east, the basketball schools no longer have an equal voice. in light that most believe the ncaa is moving towards a mandatory conference championship football game and having 12 teams in the conference, what better time than this to flex their majority muscle and take another football school rather than xavier. in fact, it conceivably could get wild and they decide, no we dont want any of the 8 basketball schools, instead we are going to add 5 more football schools. and there would be nothing the basketball schools could do. that is the scenario i am hoping for. but realistically doubting.

I know some people here are counting on the instability of the Big East to work somehow to SLU's advantage in the long term but I can't quite see it.

I do think 16 teams is inherently unstable for a lot small reasons rather than one big one (tourney sites, scheduling conflicts, bad meals at meetings, etc.). The Bigger East as a 2nd rate BCS player (if they continue to be at all) will likely make more money as a "6/7-bid" conference from basketball than football. I do not see this in any way for football teams to have too much power--they will get their "extra" football payments but incur significantly more costs. Even in the future Big East most football programs will lose money (still true even with the big BCS payouts because the rewards are so unevenly distributed).

Having played at ND too many years ago; Don't mistake a sorry football team with a team that is going though a year of rebirth...come on 5 new starting down offensive linemen with a true freshman quarterback. Give them a break! As for the ACC or Big 10, from conversations in and around South Bend, I would put my money on the Big 10 if for any reason, travel expense would be much cheaper for all sports.

Based on the bad blood between ND & U of Miami, I find it very hard seeing ND playing Miami every year. Notre Dame has too much more in common with the Big 10 than the ACC. Big 10 basketball ain't all bad either!

Remember there is always the dance before contracts are negotiated. By the time the NBC contract is up (2 years I believe) Notre Dame could be in the hunt for a 10th National Championship. I don't believe NBC would want to miss out!

I agree with Roy. If ND leaves the Big East, then the balance of power in that conference will have shifted to the football schools and one would expect the addition of another football school when ND leaves. In my mind, the football / basketball marriage does not work long-term and the Big East will have to eventually go through the same adjustment that CUSA did--i.e., shift from being a conglomeration of all sports and basketball schools to that of a purely all sports conference. That would mean, eventually, the b-ball schools would be ejected from the Big East.

NEW2SLU,

Good post and I agree that those looking at this year as being the demise of ND are very shortsighted indeed. I still think that Ty Willingham was an excellent higher by the Irish and he will get them back on track.

The ACC makes little to no sense for ND and I would lay money that if they do move to a conference for all sports that it will be the Big 10. Heck, they already play several of the teams already, so it set up as a natural for them. They only play basketball in the Big (L)East so I'm not sure how them leaving really tips any scale one way or another.

i just think it would be ironic and somewhat fulfilling to see the bottom drop out of the basketball teams for the big east. i agree it isnt likely to happen, but if there is a "what if" that might make the dominos take a strange turn, notre dame is it.