Burwell's Article Today

I remember in a radio interview when RM was asked about the local recruit thing. He made it clear that in addition to signing Femi, they had offered several local recruits - Biedschied, Suggs, Beal, etc. Then RM got into the case of Connell Crossland. A local juco player and I think he was even related to Larry Hughes. RM thought they had the kid and it turned it that the kid chose TCU because he wanted to play one year in the Big East, which later turned out to be the Big 12. It was funny that RM basically made fun of the kid for wanting to go to a program that was going to be a doormat in a BCS conference. RM was proven correct. Crossland could have played in two NCAA tournaments for his hometown team. Instead, he chose to play for a sh!tty program like TCU. I wish the local media would report that kind of story. Recruiting is a two-way street and it is not always the local schools fault a local kid doesn't want to play for them. Some were given opportunities and turned them down.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The need to draw local recruits is way overblown, if not fabricated entirely. Hell, I think it's kinda cool to have a few Aussies/New Zealanders on the team. The thing that will boost attendance/ratings is playing in meaningful games. And you're not gonna be playing in many meaningful games if you aren't 1) winning and 2) playing decent opponents. So I don't care about a game against Georgetown if we're sub-.500. And if we have a great team, I'm still not gonna care about a game against Savannah State.