Billiken Basketball Camp

My son will be going to camp Monday. Anyone else sending their son? I saw a different thread where folks were wondering which players were on campus. That should be answered tomorrow because the players are usually coaches/counselors at the camp.

My son will be going to camp Monday. Anyone else sending their son? I saw a different thread where folks were wondering which players were on campus. That should be answered tomorrow because the players are usually coaches/counselors at the camp.

tell him to not let rickma sit on him.

That's still every bit as funny as the first time you used that line. Nice job, Roy.

i suspect from your reply you dont know the story behind it. google "rick majerus sitting on campers".

Here are some comments from the Deadspin article. From those who have been through it, sounds pretty funny and effective...

Dominic:

I grew up in the Milwaukee area and attended the Rick Majerus Basketball camp twice at Cardinal Stritch University. My dad used to drink and eat pizza w/ Majerus while he coached at Marquette and he told me the camp would be "good for me" since nobody in Wisconsin gives a camp worth a damn (This was pre Bo Ryan era). My first year Rick did "sit on my back" in an effort to teach me how low one should stay in their defensive stance. The guy who emailed you was spot on, about Majerus showing up post workout, sweat dripping from all sorts of places that it can only sweat on middle-aged obese men. He was right about his lathering, giddy speeches about Keith Van Horn. He also lectured for what seemed like hours on the triple-threat position and how God like Malone/Stockton were. Overall, he was a pretty nice guy and most have kept his "######" vocabulary for the college aged dudes. For a D-1 coach I thought he was easy to talk to, and would discuss basketball and food with just about anybody.

The thing about this odd technique of his.....it works. I came back the next year and my defensive stance was ###### perfect. There was no way I was going to let that whale and his sweaty nuts come anywhere near my back. I stayed so low, that I made the camp All-Star team.

Jordan:

I can 100% confirm what your other reader said about Majerus sitting on kids at basketball camps. I went to the University of Utah basketball camp for two summers when I was 11 and 12 (I am now 23) with a Mormon friend of mine, and I witnessed Majerus do the exact same thing to a a couple kids each summer. During camp each day, in the morning, there would be camp-wide defensive slide drills. For maybe two of the days each year Majerus would show up, do some speaking, go from drill to drill, and walk around yelling at kids to get low during the defensive slides. Just like the other reader said, sometimes he would find a kid not getting low enough and sit on his back as the embarrased, shocked camper would try to continue until Majerus would move on to yelling at more kids; luckily, it was never me.

I also agree that it was nothing creepy or anything. In fact, I recall the kids thinking it was pretty funny, but everyone was kinda shocked and petirifed it might happen to them. We all thought Majerus was funny and cool, actually. Everyone got really good at defensive slides, at least. The whole sitting on camper thing became legend, as you would here kids talk about how they had heard about these things happening from an older relative or whatever, so I think he is pretty reknowned for that stunt, and now I know the legend lives all the way from Salt Lake to Milwaukee.

i suspect from your reply you dont know the story behind it. google "rick majerus sitting on campers".

Perhaps Majic should look up some other instances of Majerus's behavior as well, like:

• Pulling out his c*ck when teaching defense in practice
  • sh!tting in a towel
  • calling a player during practice 'a disgrace to cripples'

Because, you know, obviously the child-sitting story or those above haven't been brought up dozens, if not hundreds, of times on this board since Majerus was hired. <_<