Brad Davis

SLUBALLS

I still can't believe this guy left college early to go pro. He can't even coach high school soccer without a degree of some type.

Does anyone know if he has taken classes at all since leaving after two years?

People take the time to cry about Maurice Clarett wanting to go pro. Clarett is going to make more money than Davis in one NFL season than Davis will make in 5-8 years playing in the MLS. That is, if there is an MLS in 5 years.

Oh well, I hope his career swings up. Hopefully he'll become an MLS all star .. and try and sneak onto a world cup team in 8 years or so playing along side the likes of Landon Donovan, Freddy Adu, and Taylor Twellman.

Go MCC!

Keep in mind that Brad can go oversees and make much more than Clarett could dream of over the course of a career. He is no Beckham, but he is still quite good. Davis is one of the best soccer players I have ever seen and I had the priveledge of working with the team during the Davis/Jewsbury/Selowane era. They were all scoring machines and a great joy to watch.

In the two full years that Davis has been in the MLS, he is slowly becoming one of the better players in the MLS. He led Dallas in points last year. He also had one of the most unbelievable goals I have ever seen last year....takes a 35 yd cross out of the air on the run through the left side of the eighteen, volleys to himself, and then hammers the ball into the upper right hand corner...all without the ball hitting the ground and a defender on him. Amazing concentration and skill. Anyway, he has finally moved to the cental midfield for Dallas where he played primarily at SLU. Hopefully his smoothness on the ball and playmaking ability we saw at SLU will translate out on the MLS pitch.

Another former player, Dipsy Selowane, is getting playing time now with the Chicago Fire. There is a debate among the Chicago fans as to whether he should start or remain a second half sub.

In response to the statement of why did he leave early ... It has nothing to do with Maurice Clarrett or what he can make. BD wasn't going to play in the NFL. He was one of the top 5 players in the NCAA and felt he needed to continue to challenge himself. His career is as a soccer player and he can finish college at any time if he chooses and he isn't eating at the DFW soup kitchen.

The questions about early entry in the NFL have more to do with maturity ... both mentally and physically. Clarrett has played 9 or 10 college games and didn't hold up so well through those games. I also beleive the NFL should have every right to set rules on who is eligible to be drafted. Sorry but our government is involved in too much as it is. All companies should be free to hire and fire as they please. If a company is discriminating let the court of public opinion and the accompanying dollar decide it's fate.

Soccer is not dominated by big bodies anywhere ... some leagues are a little more physical than others ... but speed kills. I do not follow european soccer much in the last 10 years ... so I will defer to someone who knows more to provide more insight than that. SLUBALLS ?

I am in agreement with sluballs that BD is coming into his own and is finally playing at midfield where he should be. He is a great distributor with outstanding vision and above average ball skills. He is fast ... but not exceptionally so. At center midfield he doesn't need to be. He does need people with skill around him ... think of a great point grd on a lousy team. The US National team has not ever had a consistent center midfielder who can dominate play and the pace of a game. Reyna has had his moments but is too injury prone and inconsistent while occasionally showing flashes of brilliance. In time I think BD could be this guy ... he is only 22?. The talent level in the US has increased so drastically the last few years that it is hard to break onto the Nat'l team roster. So don't think because you haven't seen him there he is not successful. BD is one of the best players on the U23 team and will continue to move up ... he will be a star and he will be playing in world cup matches ...

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Little blurb on Davis in the MLSNET preview for the Burn's 4/24 game:

"A real bright spot in for the Burn in their first two matches has been the central midfield pairing of Brad Davis and Simo Valakari. Davis had been mostly used in a wide midfield after his arrival in Dallas until this year, but the addition of the Finnish international has brought real dividends to the attack.

• "A lot of his job now is just getting up and down the field, going box to box, and I believe he is physically capable of it," Clarke said of Davis. Burn captain Jason Kreis said Valakari’s experience makes all the difference: "What Simo's shown is he's a guy that loves to get into hard tackles and then make simple passes, which is exactly what we need," Kreis said."

Brad is a nice guy he hooked me and my family up with tix to a Burn Game a few years ago when he played for the Metrostars. He had a great assist in that game. I know that the loss to Mexico for the U23 team was hard on them. I don't understand how that knocks us out of Olympic Competition (wierd Intl Soccer rules) or else I think he would have been on that team. It would be nice to have BD and Brian McBride both playing together good publicity for the school.

Oh yeah, US v. Mexico 28 April in Dallas.

I see one difference between Davis and Clarett. Both want to be challenged at a higher level. Both have the opportunity to return and complete their education. The difference is that Davis is allowed to play professionally in the US and Clarett is not.

I have seen no compelling evidence that three years post high school is enough maturity to join the NFL. The number of teams that were salivating for Williams from USC show that age has no bearing on talent or the potential to succeed in the NFL.

The NFL like all other employers is free to accept anyone as an employee, but the standard for excluding candidates is a very slippery slope.

I would like to see another league created to prepare players, in football and basketball, for professional playing opportunities. Some of these kids do not belong at the University. I encourage anyone to take advantage of academic opportunities, but if those opportunities have no meaning the student, then they should go elsewhere to play. Look at the graduation rates of some programs, they are an embarrassment to academics.

I agree 100%. I am surprised when some of the lower basketball leagues such as the USBL when they began said they were not going to go after high school players ... I don't understand why not. There are so many players who do not want to go to college but are not good enough for the NBA. Some of them with experience may develop into NBA players ... if not they can play basketball for a living and make a little money ... probably more than they would make with only a high school diploma anyway. As they mature they can still go to college if they choose. Those type players get lost in the shuffle. Ricky Clemens is an example ... if there was an alternate route to the NBA ... would he have been attempting to go the college route? Our own Jeremy Biles from a few years ago ... I'm sure there are many more instances.

I for one paid to see the Swarm and will pay to see minor league basketball again.

>I know

>that the loss to Mexico for the U23 team was hard on them.

>I don't understand how that knocks us out of Olympic

>Competition (wierd Intl Soccer rules) or else I think he

>would have been on that team.

The U.S. had to beat Mexico to get to Greece and they lost. There is nothing weird about it. It was unlucky to draw Mexico who had finished 2nd in their group in the previous round (and maybe a bit unfair to have to play the game in Mexico).

Also, in case you are not aware the Olympics are essentially the U-23 world championship. That is how they deal with pro/amateur issues in that sport. There is no desire to play another World Cup. Every 4 years is enough and this summer there are regional international Cups (like EURO 2004 in Portugal) which much more important than the Olympics.

As far as Brad being able to make more in Europe, I do not know. It is true that some American players are able to make more money in Europe (McBride, Friedel, Ranieri) but some can make a lot more money in the U. S. If you are really good (like the above 3) you can probably do a bit better in Europe (unless some MLS team decides to make a splashy deal to keep you around) but Brad is not at that level yet. I am sure he is doing the best he can. If he really wanted to make more money the Mexican pro leagues are generally considered to have a bit higher $/talent ratio (quite possibly in the world). If I remember correctly, the Eastern European leagues have the lowest $/talent ratios which is why so many Eastern Europeans play in Italy, Germany, Spain, and even Turkey.

I'm not sure if it is fact ... but I read or heard somewhere that Freddie Adu is the highest paid player in the MLS at 500k ... My understanding is that he could have made much more in Europe. Any one know if that is true?

The MLS has a league maximum (around $300,000) which should properly be considered collusion. A lot of US players play in Europe because the MLS is pretty "take it or leave it" about salaries. This can work for the MLS stars who can supplement their salary with endorsements but not so well for others. The bottom line is the United States is producing more talent than the MLS can accomodate and the MLS maximums are restricting the ability of keeping some top talent.

Also remember that the European season is much longer (10-11 months) than the US so that would be a factor in evaluating salaries as well.

I am sure Freddie makes the MLS maximum but he also gets $1million from Nike. I doubt that he could make that kind of money right away in Europe but because he is so talented so young undoubtedly he could get a nice signing bonus. In a few years he will have to play in Europe as he will be worth millions. The MLS wanted him into the league (and Nike was happy to accomodate) mainly because they would benefit ultimately by the sale of the player later (in soccer TEAMS are paid for the rights to sign the player--the player's actual compensation is usually not announced to the public). That is why it was so important to get him into the league (also it is less personally disruptive for so young a kid).

The signing of free agents in Europe are called FREE TRANSFERS (as opposed to in the US where they refer to them by the millions of dollars the PLAYER gets for signing) and do not happen much to young quality players.

Thanks for the info ... With no MLS team in Stl and just less time overall I do not follow Pro soccer as much as I used to or would like to. I try to stay current with the US National team and the younger squads but that is about it.