RPI Games

slufan13

2 games tonight that could have an effect on our RPI.

St. Mary's @ Loyola Marymount.

LMU has an RPI of 120 and they have a chance to upset St. Mary's who has an RPI of 22.

Boston College @ Virginia

Boston College's RPI is 203 but it should go up against Virginia who has an RPI of 19.

I don't understand. If Loyola Marymount beats St. Mary's, their RPI will go up. Won't that help us or does it not work like that?

This is what I found about it.

"In its current formulation, the index comprises a team's winning percentage (25%), its opponents' winning percentage (50%), and the winning percentage of those opponents' opponents (25%). The opponents' winning percentage and the winning percentage of those opponents' opponents both comprise the strength of schedule (SOS). Thus, the SOS accounts for 75% of the RPI calculation and is 2/3 its opponents' winning percentage and 1/3 times its opponents' opponents' winning percentage."

I don't understand. If Loyola Marymount beats St. Mary's, their RPI will go up. Won't that help us or does it not work like that?

If LMU beats St. Mary's, it will improve their RPI, but LMU's RPI plays no part in SLU's RPI. It's only LMU's winning percentage which is factored into SLU's RPI. The fact that they're playing St. Mary's helps SLU's opponents' opponents' winning percentage part of the formula, but the outcome of the game makes no difference.

If LMU beats St. Mary's, it will improve their RPI, but LMU's RPI plays no part in SLU's RPI. It's only LMU's winning percentage which is factored into SLU's RPI. The fact that they're playing St. Mary's helps SLU's opponents' opponents' winning percentage part of the formula, but the outcome of the game makes no difference.

Ok I see. It would just be nice to see Loyola Marymount keep winning so they can get a top 100 RPI. Then our loss to them will just be a top 100 loss.

25% your record, 50% your opponent's records (who you play), 25% your opponent's opponent's records (who your opponents play).

LMU playing St Mary's improves our opponent's opponent's record, LMU beating St Mary's would also improve our opponent's record.

I also don't see how the outcome of the game has no impact on our RPI.

25% your record, 50% your opponent's records (who you play), 25% your opponent's opponent's records (who your opponents play).

LMU playing St Mary's improves our opponent's opponent's record, LMU beating St Mary's would also improve our opponent's record.

I also don't see how the outcome of the game has no impact on our RPI.

Yeah it would help slightly because it would improve LMU's winning % which would boost our RPI. St. Mary's winning % would go slightly down, but LMU's is weighted heavier for us. Maybe not enough to make a difference though.

Thicks is right for the most part.

For example, LMU will get a bump in their SOS from simply playing Saint Marys tonight and that will effect our RPI in the 25% that is our opponents oppoents winning percentage. We will get that bump no matter what happens in the game. Similarly, Tennessee St. plays a crap team tonight and our RPI will modeslty go down simply because of Tenn st. playing that team.

The important thing to realize is that if you can only get one win from those two games from a purely RPI perspective it doesn't matter if LMU wins or Tenn. St. wins tonight, it will have the same effect on our RPI. Now, if they both win, that would be an advantage and if the both lose that would hurt, but WHO wins or loses is not really important when looking at the bottom line number.

For that reason, other games Billiken fans should care about tonight are Arkansas St at Denver, Washington at Arizona St., in addition to the BC, Tenn St. and LMU games. All you really need to know is how many wins we get out of those 5 games to know if it was a good night or a bad night.

LMU cant hit anything against the gaels.......We'd DESTROY LMU today..........

Spoken like a true loser! I guess we'll never know since your recent losses have lowered yours and our RPI to the point where neither of us will be in a tournament. I can only refer to the LMU/Billikens final score to see who is the winner.

Spoken like a true loser! I guess we'll never know since your recent losses have lowered yours and our RPI to the point where neither of us will be in a tournament. I can only refer to the LMU/Billikens final score to see who is the winner.

Always have to like the troll who comes on and resurrects a thread that hadn't been posted on for five days. <_<