Hoopmasters adds another name to 2005 list

BLIKNS

They now have Ryan Tillema a wf from Randolph,WI listing the Bills.However,went to www.bluechiphoops.com,and they list Ryan as a 6-8 pf.

The Badgermaniac board has been covering this player for some time. He's got a very good stroke for a 6'7 player and decent athleticism but he's basically a spot up shooter at this point. The prevailing thought on the Badger board is that he's not quick enough to guard his position in the Big 10. I haven't seen him play myself. Here's his profile from the Journal Sentinel:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/prep/mar04/216154.asp

A 6-7 junior who expanded his game after teammate Greg Stiemsma was sidelined with an injury. Kept Randolph on track as it compiled a 26-0 record, won the Trailways Conference Northern Division title and won the Division 4 state championship. Scored 496 points in 26 games, a 19.1 average.

"He had to play a whole different game," said John Nedelcoff, the coach at Mayville. "He had to play inside for two-thirds of the year. He shoots it a lot better than he did last year. He's as good, if not better than (Steve) Novak at this stage. He could put the ball on the floor. He's a good passer and he can score."

Here's a pic:

http://www.citizenol.com/content/articles/...sports/sp01.jpg

Here's another article with more complete stats:

http://www.citizenol.com/articles/2004/03/...sports/sp01.txt

The junior finished the season with an average of 19.1 points, 8.3 rebounds, 4 assists, two steals and two blocks a contest while shooting 62.1 percent from the field and 44.2 percent from beyond the arc. Tillema didn't hurt the Rockets from the line either, tossing in 77.3 percent of his attempts while eclipsing the 1,000-point plateau in the state final game against Hilbert.

"Ryan really stepped up with Greg out and then when Marcus went down, especially on both ends of the court. He became our defensive presence inside," Haffele said. "He's tougher than most people give him credit for."

I'm sure it's wrong to render opinion based upon reading a few paragraphs but that has never stopped us in the pastt--this guy sounds like an inch taller and slower Luke Meyer. I think we need a true athletic slasher at 3, not a spot-up shooter with limited mobility. Unless the coaching staff thinks this guy is going to grow into a PF, I don't see how he fits.

Hoopmasters is in love with Tillema -- they've moved him into the Top 100 -- much to the surprise of Badger posters:

http://pub104.ezboard.com/fbadgermaniacsba...cID=15497.topic

I really want to see him play -- 8 rebounds and 2 blocks per game is not consistent with the Badger fans' description that he is a step slow and can't defend his position.

My high school competed at the now Wisconsin Div. 4 level and way back then (80-82) our best players went D-III generally (although we did play against UNC's Joe Wolff in a non-conf but he was at a higher level in Oshkosh). We played against Mayville and Hilbert (mentioned in the articles about Tillema). This is not to suggest a good player cannot come from that level, it is just that his stats and abilities have to be evaluated in a different way. I would guess that you (3-star) and the staff would have a better impression after seeing him play.

As I have mentioned before, our best player went to Stevens Point to play with Brad and Terry Porter (he did leave school due to grades before basketball started though).

Also, as Taj79 has said a few times, SLU recruited Florida small school sensation Tony Brown in the mid-eighties. he averaged 34 a game in high school and was a non-factor for the Billikens.

jjray, i pretty much echo your thoughts. in fact he sounds like local junior, kevin kellerman to me. and i dont think kevin kellerman is billiken material either. however, if we are going to take a player like this, let's take the local equivilent.

if they've moved him into the top 100 ... couldn't he be similar to the Carrol brothers from Notre Dame and St Josephs ..?

I don't think you pass up on a 6'7 pure shooter .. if you have a bullet of a point guard like Polk .. and had a guy like lisch running around side of him ...

one pure stationary shooter wouldn't be that bad of a thing ..

>I've seen Chris Kellerman play several times. Nobody would

>confuse him with a top 400 player, let alone a top 100

>player. The Tillema kid leads his team in scoring,

>rebounding, assistsa and steals despite having a 6'11 top 50

>teammate that is going to Wisconsin.

The 6-11 teammate blew out his ACL and was limited when he did come back this season.

I've seen Tillima play - went to a game up at Randolph, his HS. It was like a scene out of Hoosiers. Stands all one one side of the gym, school in the middle of nowhere, most kids barely reaching 6-0 tall on the other team. At 6-7 he's by far the tallest person on the court, except for his teammate, Steisma, who everyone else is concerned with so Tillima can dominate. The competition level is very poor. I know Keady has been watching Tillima since his freshman year.