Semi-OT: Curious Case of Curt Flood

bonwich

Those of you who are also of a certain age (say, perhaps, who also had their third-grade hearts stomped upon by the last game of the '68 Series) should definitely check out "The Curious Case of Curt Flood" currently airing on HBO. Not just lots of Brock-Flood-Maxvill-McCarver etc. clips and memories, but also some interesting shots of the periphery of the SLU campus in those days (Flood lived in the penthouse at 4466 W. Pine).

But it's "semi-"OT because there's about a minute of Flood being interviewed by a really tall 40-something former-professional-athlete guy with a great announcer's voice. I'm thinking he was working for Channel 2 at the time.

Those of you who are also of a certain age (say, perhaps, who also had their third-grade hearts stomped upon by the last game of the '68 Series) should definitely check out "The Curious Case of Curt Flood" currently airing on HBO. Not just lots of Brock-Flood-Maxvill-McCarver etc. clips and memories, but also some interesting shots of the periphery of the SLU campus in those days (Flood lived in the penthouse at 4466 W. Pine).

But it's "semi-"OT because there's about a minute of Flood being interviewed by a really tall 40-something former-professional-athlete guy with a great announcer's voice. I'm thinking he was working for Channel 2 at the time.

For those of us who don't have HBO and weren't born until 1969 or later, who might you be referring to? Ed Macauley (sorry if I spelled that wrong)?

I caught the documentary when it premiered. Like most HBO sports docs, it is excellent and provides a lot of information that might not have been known about the subject. I would recommend it to anyone who is a sports fan, and especially to those who are Cards fans.

I was sitting in the right center field bleachers for game 7 against Detroit. To this day, I can remember seeing a very high fly come out of the gray stadium backdrop, then looking down at Curt Flood who seemed to be frozen in place, but who all of a sudden twisted and turned with big divots coming out of the turf. It was too late of course, and two runs scored. The batter, I think Northrup, later scored and we ended up losing 4-1 after Shannon homered with two outs in the ninth. And it WAS a punch in the gut and a VERY long sad walk back to my Dad's car. My only consolation was that I was also at game 1 where Gibson set the strikeout record at 17. Those two were the only World Series games I ever attended.

I was sitting in the right center field bleachers for game 7 against Detroit. To this day, I can remember seeing a very high fly come out of the gray stadium backdrop, then looking down at Curt Flood who seemed to be frozen in place, but who all of a sudden twisted and turned with big divots coming out of the turf. It was too late of course, and two runs scored. The batter, I think Northrup, later scored and we ended up losing 4-1 after Shannon homered with two outs in the ninth. And it WAS a punch in the gut and a VERY long sad walk back to my Dad's car. My only consolation was that I was also at game 1 where Gibson set the strikeout record at 17. Those two were the only World Series games I ever attended.

I was in section 252, loge (remember that word?) section slightly off center behind home plate. The old man had got tickets from D'Arcy MacManus Masius and Bowles (remember that name?) I sat with my mom; he got to sit in the auxiliary press box.

It was the last time I got to a post-season game until I went to the very last game in Busch Stadium. (Nice bookend: The first game I attended was the very first game in Busch II, Mother's Day, 1966.)

I was in section 252, loge (remember that word?) section slightly off center behind home plate. The old man had got tickets from D'Arcy MacManus Masius and Bowles (remember that name?) I sat with my mom; he got to sit in the auxiliary press box.

It was the last time I got to a post-season game until I went to the very last game in Busch Stadium. (Nice bookend: The first game I attended was the very first game in Busch II, Mother's Day, 1966.)

I certainly remember the loge section and D'arcy. I think they were one of several ad agencies here when we were still a "big city". To get that big city feel now, I go to Chicago.

I'm a bit older than you, I was in high school in the late 60s. My Dad was an equipment mechanic for the main post office downtown. After the Card's went up 3-1 in the series, he went down to the ballpark after work and got in the ticket lines for games 6 and 7. No one thought those games would be played so he bought bleacher seats for both games and just kept going back to the windows until he had enough for my brothers, cousins and some classmates. I still have the ticket for game 7 and I think it was a whopping four dollars!

Some buddies and I were "snuck in" to Game 1 so I don't have a ticket for that one. But that's another story.

That's cool that you were at the start and finish for Busch II. I know I'm in the minority, but I miss that ballpark and I really don't like the new one.

I certainly remember the loge section and D'arcy. I think they were one of several ad agencies here when we were still a "big city". To get that big city feel now, I go to Chicago.

I'm a bit older than you, I was in high school in the late 60s. My Dad was an equipment mechanic for the main post office downtown. After the Card's went up 3-1 in the series, he went down to the ballpark after work and got in the ticket lines for games 6 and 7. No one thought those games would be played so he bought bleacher seats for both games and just kept going back to the windows until he had enough for my brothers, cousins and some classmates. I still have the ticket for game 7 and I think it was a whopping four dollars!

Some buddies and I were "snuck in" to Game 1 so I don't have a ticket for that one. But that's another story.

That's cool that you were at the start and finish for Busch II. I know I'm in the minority, but I miss that ballpark and I really don't like the new one.

Do you collect any other Cardinals or baseball memorabilia?

Do you collect any other Cardinals or baseball memorabilia?

No, not as such. I have to think. I have an unopened bottle of Coke with the '82 WS Champs and logo on it, a certificate from Lou Brock's 3000th hit. (My Dad and I were there.) and a foul ball off the bat of Joe Morgan from 1980 that I caught on one hop in the "loge" section. There's that word again. I have a cousin in Oklahoma who is the big fan in the family and I usually give him the handouts and trinkets from the stadium.

I'm not the fan I was when I was younger and I don't go to many games anymore either.

Joe, brings back a couple of memories.

First, your dad was a great guy. Was my promotional marketing prof and helped inspire my career. One of the two best classes I had in the biz school. Lots of great insights. Plus, he always wore great ad-guy sport coats and pants to class. Definitely stood out from the rest of the marketing dept!

Second, he organized a tour of D'Arcy for the SLU class. The tour was hosted by one of his former D'Arcy co-workers who many years later became one of my best friends in the business. So whenever I think of him -- I always think of your dad who introduced us.

Finally, while the ad biz in this town is dramatically different than when I was in college (no D'Arcy, no Gardner,) and many corporate headquarters have moved, there is still a very vibrant community -- particularly in non-traditional/new mediums.

Anyway, really enjoyed your dad. Always gave me my best grades, too!

I loved the shots of his condo in the Executive House - seemed perfect for that era.

Do you have any idea where his art studio was?

Finally, while the ad biz in this town is dramatically different than when I was in college (no D'Arcy, no Gardner,) and many corporate headquarters have moved, there is still a very vibrant community -- particularly in non-traditional/new mediums.

So true. Rodgers Townsend was founded by a couple of D'Arcy alums, and it's become a real powerhouse. STL has a wealth of smaller creative firms doing excellent work right now, and the vast majority of them are located either downtown or in the Midtown Alley district adjacent to SLU. It's great to see.

So true. Rodgers Townsend was founded by a couple of D'Arcy alums, and it's become a real powerhouse. STL has a wealth of smaller creative firms doing excellent work right now, and the vast majority of them are located either downtown or in the Midtown Alley district adjacent to SLU. It's great to see.

So true.

The one thing people forget is that while some of the corporate headquarters have moved, many of the operational bases are still here. That means the work stays here. For example, Ralston was bought by Nestle. But the dog/cat food biz is still here as is the marketing.

Ditto with Anheuser-Busch. While Belgians own the company and budget cutting has brought a shock to the local ad community, a huge chunk of the ad/promo biz is still here.

Reshaped.

Liked the references to the "68 Series. I was a sophomore at SLU then and was given two tickets to game 7, hoping that the Series lasted that long. What a sickening feeling when Flood slipped out in center. I think I had an upper deck box seat out in right field, ticket price $8.00 as I recall. Wish I had known St. Louis history a bit better then. Did Flood have a studio on the north side of Lindell, east of Grand ? That seems to ring a bell with me.

Did Flood have a studio on the north side of Lindell, east of Grand ? That seems to ring a bell with me.

3543 Lindell. (I managed to verify that with this book, which is heavily excerpted in Google books form.)

It would have been in a building between old Vito's and new Vito's that was torn down to build the brick government offices that are there now (although I'm not sure what's in that new building these days).

And thanks for the nice words about my dad, Adman. I used to be able to wear his old jackets before restaurant criticism ruined my boyish figure. He got me an interview at D'Arcy with Carl Klinghammer, but I don't think I impressed Carl. That was OK, because D'Arcy started to fade away soon thereafter and I managed to do A-B work for Zipatoni and Frank James -- and ultimately my own small studio -- "sales promotion" firms that helped nudge D'Arcy into irrelevancy when it concentrated too long on the 15% commission ad agency format.

BTW, I didn't get a chance to introduce myself to you, but I was the guy with the baby sitting behind you at practice a week ago.

See you in 108 this year. Sorry scoop you are on your own...