Exempt Tourny in Virgin Islands

According to Rammer SLU will start next season in a pre-season exempt tourney in the Virgin Islands. He mentioned to Soderberg "see you in the Virgin Islands." Then in the wrap up he mentioned the season opener there. Generally you will get one or two good match ups in that type of tourny.

Congrats to SLU fans on a fine season. I have a healthy amount of respect for the Billikens and Coach S.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in on the preseason tourney speculation. I have no idea what the situation is for SLU but this past year ND traveled to Barbados for some preseason games. Non of them counted on ND's record and allowed them to start early for practice time.

NCAA rules permit college athletic teams a trip outside of the United States every four years. Additionally, the team is allowed 10 practices prior to competition.

Like I said I don't know the specifics with your case but this could be similar.

Good luck in the future and kudos to such classy fans.

Link to ND trip to Barbados info.

The Billikens apparently will be taking part in an exempt tournament (involving D-1 schools in games that COUNT), not an overseas tour. Teams can take one overseas trip (and get 10 extra days of practice) to play games against foreign teams every four years, and SLU took a trip before last season (the 2002-03 season). Therefore, SLU's trip to the Virgin Islands will NOT be an overseas trip. Schools can participate in two exempt tournaments every four years, and the games in such tournaments, whether two, three, or four in all, count as just one against the limit of 28 regular season games (and the conference tournament counts as one game).

Some people say "preseason" because they are often played before the last weekend of November, when the regular season starts, but they are not exhibitions and they do count towards the teams' records.

Thank you for the nice post. Also, much thanks for defending my post which was put up on NDnation by another member of that board. You reminded everyone that it was in response to another post, not an instigating post. I would have defended myself, but the registration takes a week for that board, and by that time, it would have been forgotten. Very classy move, and much appreciated.

Anyways, best of luck to your team thru the rest of the NIT.