Coaching Carousel

slu72

Was looking at the coaching changes on ESPN. I always worry this time of year as I figure schools are on the look for an up and comer, read UB. The only opening I can see that might sway UB would be Utah. And since Majeurus has some ties to the state of Wisconsin, I wonder if he might not toss out his name as his replacement. SLU right now should do the right thing...give UB a good raise and a long term deal. The only constant to College hoops success is having a long term coach...just look at the top tier teams for proof of this. If admin is serious about a top 25-50 program then prove it by redoing UB's deal right now.

Butch I have to disagree. We can't take the attitude anymore of "well, he'll leave anyway." We have to be proactive with UB. If we keep having a revolving coaches door, we're never going anywhere. Oh, we might sneak in every few years but nothing on a regular basis. Also, it sends the wrong message to area kids that the guy who recruited you is only there until something better comes along. Look at two of our fellow Jesuit institutions Gonzaga and Marquette, (granted Crean didn't have a stellar year this year but if SLU ever goes to a final 4 they'd have to put us all on respirators) both schools have had success by keeping the good ones at home. We've got to find a way to do this with UB. As I understand it, we matched Washington's deal for 'Zo, so why wait until UB is tempted? Make him secure, make him feel appreciated, make him an offer he can't refuse so he's SLU's coach for many years to come. With a new arena on the boards, a good class coming in, guys returning who know the system, two post season bids, at last some exciting basketball...well, you get the picture. I will grant you there is nothing we can do if a job comes along that really tugs at his heartstrings like Washington did for 'Zo. But when you look at UB's resume what would that job be? Wisconsin? Not likely to be an opening there any time soon, so it would most likely boil down to "the deal" in his case. Make him the deal.

I am all for appreciating what he has done...but I am also sure he is paid quite well at this time. Up to now I see no justification for us to dramatically raise his salary or locking him into a long term contract.

He has done some good things as coach and I do not want to diminish these accomplishments. That said...

1. We are an NIT team, a stature that few of us, including Coach, aspire to.

2. He has yet to bring to campus an impact player (OK I don't remember if he signed Bryant...if he did that counts as impact.) Morris could have been that type of player. Lidell certainly seems to be that type of player (but he hasn't qualified yet)

3. We are in a good conference, yet we have not fininshed in the Top 3.

4. At this time, he is not a top draw as a coach. People don't buy tickets to see him coach. If Pitino came to coach here what do you think the season tickets renewals would do?

5. Probably the most important...say you give him now a big raise and a long term contract, what do you do in four years after he has a Sweet 16 and a Final 8 appearance under his belt with 2 conference championships? How do you reward that? You have to reward that performance. And it will have to be larger than what he got for the NIT appearances. So you will have given him 2 large raises (and I am sure we are talking in the $X00,000's).

As much as I like Coach Soderberg and want him to stay...I kind of go along with Butch's points. He's done a nice job with somewhat limited talent. If Tommie can get in school then he has a nice recruiting class and certainly the best since the Legend's. I don't really know how hot a commodity he would be in the college basketball marketplace. Most of the U's hiring are looking at resumes of HC's with the Big Dance appearances. The Not Important Tourney is only fun for the few wannabe Big Dance rejects.

I know Coach Soderberg wants to reach the NCAA and hopefully we will get to the promised land soon (hopefully next year). I don't know how many years he has on his contract nor how much he is making. No question that if, and when, we do get into the NCAA Tourney that he would become a hot item for job openings...I'm just not convinced that he has reached that status yet, so I'd be willing to roll the dice another year. Of course, then again, I was born and raised in Missouri...the Show Me State.

Soderberg isnt going anywhere I mean he can stay at slu as long as he wants I mean he could lose 4 years straight and he will not be fired,look at Pizzotti she loses year in and year out except for 2 seasons and she still has a job. SO SOdaberg will stay. Woolard wont fire a coach if he or she loses alot

I too want Uncle Brad to stay a long time, but he hasn't reached the stage where he has come become indispensable. I'm sure the coach at Wichita St. or Kent St. could do just as good a job. Woolard would give up a lot of his leverage if he gave Brad a raise right now. If we make the Dance next year, then give him a raise.