Potential Big East Football Move

Taj79

This from here on the Least Coast:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100911_Villanova_weighs_offer_to_play_Big_East_football.html?nlid=3221802

Yeah, yeah ... Nova is already in the Big Least, a onference in which "it dominates" in all other sports. But its football is that old "Division 1AA" or whatever. So they would have to upgrade which, as it stands now, is a good time considering they won last year's D-1AA title and are flying high.Strike when the iron is hot.

What do we care? Well, the fall back posiiton is that if Nova declines, the next choice is Temple. One but not both. Temple was throen out a while back but some now believe Temple football, because it is winning in the MAC, is a viable option for Big Least contention. In that case, I think the question becomes what about the rest of Temple sports? What about the basketball team, which anyone would have to pick as a plum. But again, the issue becomes will the Big Least want two basketball playing members in Philly when it obviouly doesn't want two football playig members.

Nova will decide end of this year.

If Villinova declines the option to move up to the BE for football, then the rest of the league will ignore Villinova's plea to keep Temple out of the BE as I see it. It would hurt to lose Temple but I'd be fine with it if the replacement were Butler. Geographically, having Butler is a plus for SLU and you lose nothing bball wise exchanging Temple for Butler. One would think Butler would be open to such a move but perhaps the economics of it would not be attractive for them (don't really know). If the BE just poaches one team, the A10 can deal with it. A major realignment is a different issue.

This could be the move to split the Big East football and basketball. I say let`s talk to Marquette,DePaul,Seton Hall,Providence, and St.John`s. Wonder if they want Georgetown to move up as well.

Butler also plays football ----- believe they might be in the same football conference as Dayton. As for Temple football, winning in the MAC is one thing; Temple would be crap if they weren't there already. Thinking this "adds" to Big Least football is a mistake.

Butler also plays football ----- believe they might be in the same football conference as Dayton. As for Temple football, winning in the MAC is one thing; Temple would be crap if they weren't there already. Thinking this "adds" to Big Least football is a mistake.

After watching several ACC teams play today.............. I think Temple could hang in that league.

Villanova is a long way off from playing BCS football. Their current stadium isn't any bigger than Hermann Field and they have no place to put a new one and there is no available stadiums in Philly.

Just because of the money issue I don't see any private school from the BE being able to move up. UConn did it because the state supported them with funds. It won't happen with the private schools unless a billionaire donor leaves the school their fortune.

This could be the move to split the Big East football and basketball. I say let`s talk to Marquette,DePaul,Seton Hall,Providence, and St.John`s. Wonder if they want Georgetown to move up as well.

I would think GTown is not nearly as attractive. The Philly TV market and recruiting base overwhelms that of DC/Northern VA. Univ of Maryland is already the "home" team for DC - basically the DC suburbs.