Gordon......again

I have to agree w/ you on this point. Folks, let's not be so sensitive or critical of good press just because of this "little engine" stuff. We ARE the "little engine", but that's not the end of the world, just reality. Based on many really good years, State U is a bigger and better program-I don't like that fact but it is a fact. They recruit big-time players nationally, and we don't (yet). They draw better than us, especially with their students and they get more exposure and respect nationally than us. Hopefully all that will change with the job BS is doing, but it will take time. Let's enjoy the transformation into a major program that the next few years will bring us!

I don' know how you can say this. Nationally, Missouri is refered to as the team with many problems, potential sanctions, questionable coaching and the most underachieving team in the entire nation--maybe one of the most underachieving teams of all time. I am ok with the notion that we are achieving success through hustle and hard work and we are not as talented as MU in terms of athletic ability but do not tell me that ur program does not have "respect" because I think you are wrong!!!

I think that our program is more "feared," but in a completely different sense that Duke is feared.

Teams hate playing us. ... you should have heard the Cinci play by play guys ..

And I think that because of this .. we do have the respect of knowledgeable fans, players, and coaches ..

We don't have ESPN's eye on us normally .. I think that relates to our location and style of play ..

I think Gordon respects the SLU program ..

we played four guards all of last night .. they were the "little team that kicked ass" ..

Billikan, a couple of points. You pulled two words out of my post and treat it like I'm nuts. Did you disagree with anything else? Also, I didn't say SLU doesn't get respect as you say in your last sentence. At least don't misquote me, please.

With regard to your nitpicking point about UM getting more respect than SLU, I was referring to over the last 10-15 year period not just this year!!! Agreed, UM has their troubles this year, but over the most recent past decade or two, if you can't agree that UM gets more respect from the national media and sports fans, then we shouldn't even be holding this exchange. It's not even close. That's the task Brad has is front of him and I think he is up to it.

Why get over it? Gordon writes a condescending article about my favorite team college or pro. I'm going to get pissed when anybody, let alone Gordon, writes that stuff. He says we are happy to get to the NIT, but Mizzou is pissed because there ultimate goal is to win a national championship. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't some of Soderbergs first words as coach "my ultimate goal is to win a national championship"?

Sure we're not the best team, we're not athletic, whatever the case may be. But we strive to be the best and we have made the financial commitments to take us there. And unlike you're favarite team, cheesy, we have done it in a respectable manner and one the entire city of St. Louis should take pride in. We are have almost won 20 games and finished in the top half of one of the best conferences in the country. How can we still be this little team that could? THAT is what pissed me off.

>Why get over it? Gordon writes a condescending article about

>my favorite team college or pro. I'm going to get pissed

>when anybody, let alone Gordon, writes that stuff. He says

>we are happy to get to the NIT, but Mizzou is pissed because

>there ultimate goal is to win a national championship.

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't some of Soderbergs

>first words as coach "my ultimate goal is to win a national

>championship"?

But the difference is, preseason, Mizzou's goal seemed more feasible than Soderberg's goal. No one expected SLU to go to the final four this year, whereas Mizzou was ranked #3 in the nation at some point. Missouri fans are justifiably angry as a result.

My point is this: so what. Jeff Gordon wrote another idiotic article. The world still spins, the sun still rises, and everything is alright with the world. No one ever mistook Jeff Gordon for a Rhodes Scholar, or even someone who wasn't an idiot wearing a press pass. Perhaps instead of worrying about being seen as "the little engine that could" more energy could be spent being happy about the direction the bills are headed in.

>Sure we're not the best team, we're not athletic, whatever

>the case may be. But we strive to be the best and we have

>made the financial commitments to take us there. And unlike

>you're favarite team, cheesy, we have done it in a

>respectable manner and one the entire city of St. Louis

>should take pride in. We are have almost won 20 games and

>finished in the top half of one of the best conferences in

>the country. How can we still be this little team that

>could? THAT is what pissed me off.

Billikens fans like to thump their chests a lot about the "respectable manner" in which they've become the 6th best team in Conference USA, but I would call it more of an "ambiguous manner." Private Schools don't need to divulge their records to Jeff Gordon and the Post Dispatch. You must admit, even as a bills fan, that some sketchy academic resumes have come through the hallowed halls of Saint Louis university. Justin Tatum, Randy Pulley, and others come to mind. A 2.72 average GPA for the basketball team is hardly sparkling.

And don't get complacent with a 6th place finish in Conference USA. 6th place is where Mizzou has finished 4 out of the past 5 years in the big 12, and many fans are calling for Snyder's head. The fact is, SLU IS the "pesky" team in the eyes of more than just the st. louis media. Wait a couple years until Brad really gets some work done, and then complain if people are calling you pesky.

Why spend time thinking about the direction the Bills are heading in? It is obviously UP. We've made a post season tournament 2 years in a row...when's the last time that happpened? We have argueably the best recruiting class in our history coming in next year. Our coach has been called a great coach by many.

I'm am well aware the world keeps spinning regardless of Jeff Gordon. I probably won't even remember this article in two days (i didn't even remember I started this thread until an hour ago). But the fact remains that, IMO, he is putting out false information and casting his home town team in a condesending light. I don't like that and I never will.

I don't think anybody on this board is happy with our sixth place finish. But the fact remains that if we hit 2 more free throws at Arizona and get a few more buckets to fall elsewhere; we're at 20 wins. We've made it to the second round of the NIT after beating the top team not to make the NCAA out of the Big Ten. This is hardly some sort of miracle run. That article annoyed me and I posted about it. At least it wasn't a Tiger post...

I don't know that I could say best recruiting class in history even if we get Tommie and a good 4 to supplement. I would rate the Legends class above this one regardless if Tommie gets in school. I would sure say it is a solid class and certainly has the potential to be the best since the Larry Hughes recruiting class.