Cotton signs with NY Yankees

My first encounter with him was in the BSC. I opened a door and it accidentally hit him on his back (gently) and he threw me against the wall and wanted to fight me. I said "Sorry I didn't know you were on the other side of the door." He said "Get the F*** out of my way and watch the F*** where you are going next time or I'll F***ing knock you to the ground." I think he was texting on his phone and not paying attention. To see a "sturdy" athlete react to a slight nudge from a door like that speaks for itself. I've heard from someone else that this kind of reaction is just his personality.

I'm not jealous at all... Nothing to be jealous of.

I judge atheles more by their character than accomplishments. I admit my comments on him were not classy at all. But its my 2 cents and its just a blog.

Can I be first to call BS on this story.

Just to note, Cotton is African-American. Please watch your comments. I understand it's your two cents and thank you for admitting your lack of class, but some might regard them as racially-driven. Let's not let that happen. You seem like a good poster, and btw, this is more than a blog.

STROZIER:

Thanks for making something that has nothing to do with race, about race. Totally inappropriate for you to accuse me of being potentially racist and even bringing up his race. You have no reason to even suspect that these are racially driven comments.

If you look at my profile, you will see that my two favorite players are of the exact same race as Cotton.

If you think I made this up, I'm not. I wouldn't have wasted my time calling him a dbag if this story were not true. Before this comment, I never said anything negative about a billiken athete's character.

An exerpt from a post dispatch comment of mine: "These players are great kids. They have pretty good high school resumes, but more than that: these are top character athletes who want to work hard develop into the best they can be. This is hard to come across these days. It will pay off in a year or two. I have heard that the team chemistry is outstanding and that is going to take this team far."

Just to note, Cotton is African-American. Please watch your comments. I understand it's your two cents and thank you for admitting your lack of class, but some might regard them as racially-driven. Let's not let that happen. You seem like a good poster, and btw, this is more than a blog.

I don't know Cotton or BK18, but to accuse someone of making "racially-driven" comments in this day and age is EXTREMELY serious and, if wrong, EXTREMELY offensive. You darn well better KNOW the comments are "racially-driven" before making the accusation, and, yes, regardless of what you want to say, it was an accusation. This is NOT something to be thrown around lightly.

I don't know Cotton or BK18, but to accuse someone of making "racially-driven" comments in this day and age is EXTREMELY serious and, if wrong, EXTREMELY offensive. You darn well better KNOW the comments are "racially-driven" before making the accusation, and, yes, regardless of what you want to say, it was an accusation. This is NOT something to be thrown around lightly.

I just said that I hope these comments aren't racially motivated. There was no accusation. I feel bad that the poster's run-in with Cotton was unpleasant. My sister had him as a SLU 101 leader and said he was very nice, but then again, I don't know him personally.

I just said that I hope these comments aren't racially motivated. There was no accusation. I feel bad that the poster's run-in with Cotton was unpleasant. My sister had him as a SLU 101 leader and said he was very nice, but then again, I don't know him personally.

No where did you say that you hope that they weren't racially driven. And no one was talking about race until you brought it up.

Do you expect anything less from Metz? He's no stranger to racially driven comments.

I am not this Metz person. My name is Ted Wagnon. I have seen several people on here criticized for racial comments and this poster was getting a free pass calling him out for a single incident. That's not right.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I thought strozier definitely unfairly accused me of being a racist when no mention of race was even brought up. Although he may say the comments "could be racially driven", the mere speculation that my motivation was racist without any evidence I felt was inappropriate and I wanted to try to clear things up a little and maybe explain MY comments a little more.

I'm a passionate Billiken basketball fan. My favorite players, KM and JS, happen to be black. My idol growing up was Dorsey Levens a black athlete. I don't like these athletes because they are black, white, blue, or red. I like them because I admire their character. But I can tell you that there is nothing worse than a classless and cocky athlete. I admit the way I described Cotton was classless to some extent and if I knew people would have reacted the way they did, I maybe would have used the word "classless" or "jerk" instead of dbag. But at the same time athletes bear a greater level of responsibility to act as role models than nameless bloggers. Kids look up to athletes. They are their heroes and kids try to imitate their every move. This isn't the same for bloggers.

I can tell you that Cotton definitely made a strong and negative impression on me in my encounter with him. Some of you may not believe me, but I don't have evidence to back that up.

But looking at what Cotton chooses to share as public information about himself, I think many may see that he isn't a very classy and respectful individual.

In defense of those who think I am lying about my encounter and those who think that I am judging his character by his skin color, I have included some of Cotton's publicly available/shared FAVORITE quotations below. I'll let you decide if you think he is a classy athlete or not. I think they affirm what I first thought of him when I pushed a door against him in the BSC.

1 "F##K tha Police"

2 "weezy F baby tha mutha F####N carter, ******* on my stick but my name aint harry potter"

3 "I do know one thing though, BI###ES, they come they go

Saturday through Sunday, Monday, Monday through Sunday yo'

Maybe i'll love you one day, maybe we'll someday grow

Till then just sit your drunk ass on that ######in' runway ho'"

Although I don't consider it a huge deal if someone says these things. But if they are listed as FAVORITE quotations, I think it reflects the kind of character of Cotton and its not something a Jesuit institution would consider a proud product.

• 1 month later...