Somber Majok Majok Update

NH

NH

Wow!! Don't know where to start. Yes, foreign born kids probably don't have the image/BCS attitude that American kids have (I said the same at the beginning of this thread) but I hope you are not saying CE and RL are that dumb that they don't figure things out a little bit. If RM made the statement you indicate, it had to be as a joke. RL and CE were looking at Pitt, Wake Forest, CO, Arizona, etc. Just b/c they chose to follow RM to an A10 school instead of another coach to a BCS school does NOT mean they foreign kids don't care which school they choose -- Austrailian kids don't understand and choose Fairfield over Pitt, Wake.... These kids could go anywhere. They came to SLU for a reason - that reason, I say, is RM. First, in earlier threads, you refuse to give foreign kids proper credit and now you explain away RM's huge recruiting coups by saying they are "foreign players (who) do not know the difference between UCLA and SLU." Amazing!!

Not to be mean or insensitive, but you're 15 years old, you are so young that you cannot drive a car, none of the players whose opinions matter go to your school or are even from the State of Missouri, and we are to believe you have time, between high school Algebra and Biology homework, to speak with SLU's recruits and how they don't hold RM is such high regard among coaches. MM and DE are from Chicago, RL from New Zealand, CE from Austrailia, Jett from MN, KM from WI, BC from OR. Unbelievable. Then, the only player you mention you have talked with is the disgruntled BT (not RM's best recruit) who is now bouncing basketballs for NAIA Lindenwood. Why do you ignore the other top recruits: BC (based only upon a letter - no visit), WR, KM, CR, MM and DE - and (RC, JJ and JS even though they left).

Fact: RM is recruiting circles around Spoon (who was our best coach in years and who benefitted from playing in the good Conf USA), Romar (who obviously can recruit and coach even though proven not to recruit here -- people talk about his "in roads" and "groundwork" Romar was making whereas RM is getting them from Day 1), Brad who never got anyone other than locals TL and KL. All of this is going on here at SLU - the little engine that never could, the program still hurting by the loss of Craig Upchurch and the jump shots of Byron Larkin. And for all those ready to give full credit the facilities, let me assure you that there are many schools with equal or better facilities, better conferences, better recent histories, better student and city support. None of that matters. RM has brought in 3 awesome recruiting classes - each one possibly better than the prior one - and yet we have only made it to the CBI finals so far. When we not only make it to the Tourney but then argue among ourselves over our seedings, I will remember the RPI rankings of SLU and Fairfield which you and Skip feel are so persuasive. :lol:

Keep in mind. Many questioned if RM had "lost his ability to coach/recruit" with time out of coaching, his health issues... I would argue that RM has to be held in high regard to the elite coaches in that his first class of recruits committed before RM even coached a single game and that his second class of recruits committed after a very average season in which we were barely over .500. Instead of getting a few kids to commit, then winning with them before the floodgates of recruiting came, RM has signed up kids from the very beginning. Romar is a good coach/recruiter but no where near the level of Coach K, Self, Calipari, etc. and we have seen how Romar did here -- Romar had a better conference to work with but worse facilities. RM would not have come to SLU w/o Chafeitz and assurances from Fr. Biondi, but if he did, there is not a doubt in my mind that RM would still have brought the talent into West Pine Gym.

Wow is right.

I never said RM wasn't doing a great job recruiting. My only point this entire time was that to make the assumption that Majok will not be good due to the fact he chose Fairfield is silly .... and I'm correct on this. If you disagree, you're just flat out wrong.

You find it easy to discount the diference between the A10 and the Big East and can easily justify why a kid would choose to play in the A10 instead of the Big East, but want to harp on the difference between the A10 and the MAAC and think choosing the MAAC makes a kid less talented. It's laughable.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You really are a dumb a$$, even for a Mizloser... http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/...26season%3d2010

In addition to ESPN, Nate also said Loe had OFFERS from those schools. Are Nate and ESPN lying? Also, scroll down further to read the write-up on Ellis. You should probably quit while you are behind.

Well, Nate may confirm this but Scout and Rivals show nothing from the "big schools". Biancardi. aka the tOSU bag man, is indebted to Majerus so I wouldn't give his comments or embellishments any credence. As far as a dumba*s, you've been made fun of and ridiculed before for your foul mouth which is about as revolting and childish as one can be. now that's being a dumba$s.

Well, Nate may confirm this but Scout and Rivals show nothing from the "big schools". Biancardi. aka the tOSU bag man, is indebted to Majerus so I wouldn't give his comments or embellishments any credence. As far as a dumba*s, you've been made fun of and ridiculed before for your foul mouth which is about as revolting and childish as one can be. now that's being a dumba$s.

What in the world are you talking about? A few Mizlosers don't like me, big deal. I've helped clean this place up from your Mizzou trolls. I haven't been ridiculed by Billiken fans. I wear the fact that trolls like you and MUTGR don't like me, like a badge of honor. We saw what kind of character MUTGR is with his Jennifer Joyce comment.

Why can't you come to grips with the fact that Loe was offered by Pitt and Georgia Tech? A University of Arizona source also mentions it. Ellis was OFFERED by Wake Forest. Why does that bother you so much?

Here are a couple more that you will have difficulty getting your mind around. Mitchell was OFFERED by Minnesota. Cassity was OFFERED by Michigan.

I never said RM wasn't doing a great job recruiting.

Nor did I

My only point this entire time was that to make the assumption that Majok will not be good due to the fact he chose Fairfield is silly .... and I'm correct on this. If you disagree, you're just flat out wrong.

Agreed

You find it easy to discount the diference between the A10 and the Big East and can easily justify why a kid would choose to play in the A10 instead of the Big East, but want to harp on the difference between the A10 and the MAAC and think choosing the MAAC makes a kid less talented. It's laughable.

I think Clock_Tower thinks that a recruit would look at SLU and Fairfield and say "Wow, SLU is at a much higher level because of their coach." And look at a BCS program and say "SLU is close to them because of their coach."

Well kids don't look at it that way. The kids SLU is recruiting were in 1st grade when Majerus went to the championship. They mostly know him as the fat guy who was on ESPN. Now, they will surely learn about his history somewhat. But still, in their eyes he is not on that level, and until we get back to the tourney (which will be soon) he won't be.

Majerus has done a very good job recruiting players to come to an A-10 school that hasn't made the tournament in a while. He is doing a good job recruiting and an outstanding job evaluating talent. But, it is not like he is beating out all sorts of top flight schools for these recruits.

Let's look at the 2010 class

McCall: Picked SLU over Northern Illinois and Illinois State

Evans: Picked SLU over Toledo, Drake, Kent State, Western Michigan, Northern Illinois

Jett: Picked SLU over UNI, Bradley and Providence

Loe: Picked LSU over Pitt, Colorado, St. Mary's and GT. (But again, too european players that is not too big of a deal. Imagine if you were going to play some sport overseas and the teams you were choosing were never on TV)

Nor did I

Agreed

I think Clock_Tower thinks that a recruit would look at SLU and Fairfield and say "Wow, SLU is at a much higher level because of their coach." And look at a BCS program and say "SLU is close to them because of their coach."

Well kids don't look at it that way. The kids SLU is recruiting were in 1st grade when Majerus went to the championship. They mostly know him as the fat guy who was on ESPN. Now, they will surely learn about his history somewhat. But still, in their eyes he is not on that level, and until we get back to the tourney (which will be soon) he won't be.

Majerus has done a very good job recruiting players to come to an A-10 school that hasn't made the tournament in a while. He is doing a good job recruiting and an outstanding job evaluating talent. But, it is not like he is beating out all sorts of top flight schools for these recruits.

Evans: Picked SLU over Toledo, Drake, Kent State, Western Michigan, Northern Illinois

Loe: Picked LSU over Pitt, Colorado, St. Mary's and GT. (But again, too european players that is not too big of a deal. Imagine if you were going to play some sport overseas and the teams you were choosing were never on TV)

Stanford and Northwestern offered Evans.

Nor did I

Agreed

Baylor offered Jet. I'm pretty sure I've already pointed this out to you. And McCall had a lot more schools after him than that.

Baylor offered Jet. I'm pretty sure I've already pointed this out to you. And McCall had a lot more schools after him than that.

Jett's final four were SLU, UNI, Providence and Bradley

McCall's final three were ISU, NIU and SLU

it was according to Evans and the coaching staff, unless Evans lied to the staff

Well, Evans said he was expecting to make a visit to Northwestern and they might offer him there, but he never made the visit because he committed to SLU.

I am only going by what recruits said when they commited.

Well, Evans said he was expecting to make a visit to Northwestern and they might offer him there, but he never made the visit because he committed to SLU.

I am only going by what recruits said when they commited.

Im just going by what the kids told the staff. Jett was offered by Baylor and Marquette was very interested.

Im just going by what the kids told the staff. Jett was offered by Baylor and Marquette was very interested.

I have an exact quote from Jett that said his final four were UNI, Providence, Bradley and SLU when he committed. I cannot speak to whoever else was recruiting him. It would seem to me that if Baylor offered he would have considered them, but I do not why he chose the schools he didi. All I know is that those were his final four.

Wow is right.

I never said RM wasn't doing a great job recruiting. My only point this entire time was that to make the assumption that Majok will not be good due to the fact he chose Fairfield is silly .... and I'm correct on this. If you disagree, you're just flat out wrong.

Skip. Again, I never said Majok "will not be good" ... Why you keep thinking that is absurd. I did say, and repeat, that recruits (whether from this country or another country) who choose to play at low levels D1 says alot, IMO, about the quality of the kid. Fact: Fairfield does not play BCS and/or Top 50 programs!! They played ONE last year and lost by 30 to Maryland. My premise: the best players want to play the best competition and be coached by the best. Those that shy away don't. Really quite simple. If you disagree with this, then fine.

I am not the least bit "somber" as NH apparently is, that we lost out on this foreign born, prep school kid, whose cousin left UConn, to a school like Fairfield. My best guess, based upon observations of RM, is that RM thought the kid has some talent, that he might fill a need at SLU now that JS left, that he might be worth our unused 13th scholarship but I am not about to be "somber", that we are lost out on a kid to Fairfield. The lower levels of D1 are FULL of kids who received interest and even some scholarships from some of the big boys. Big difference between offers from the BCS schools to kids in the Fall v. the Spring.

Hey, if you and NH want to salivate on his 16 ppg in high school, his offers from a few BCS schools in the Spring and even RM's interest in him in the Spring and think he is some really great kid we Billiken fans should be "somber" about not getting or even, as NH mentioned, that he might be the next Stephen Curry, then go for it.

I am not the least bit "somber" as NH apparently is, that we lost out on this foreign born, prep school kid, whose cousin left UConn, to a school like Fairfield. My best guess, based upon observations of RM, is that RM thought the kid has some talent, that he might fill a need at SLU now that JS left, that he might be worth our unused 13th scholarship but I am not about to be "somber", that we are lost out on a kid to Fairfield. The lower levels of D1 are FULL of kids who received interest and even some scholarships from some of the big boys. Big difference between offers from the BCS schools to kids in the Fall v. the Spring.

Hey, if you and NH want to salivate on his 16 ppg in high school, his offers from a few BCS schools in the Spring and even RM's interest in him in the Spring and think he is some really great kid we Billiken fans should be "somber" about not getting or even, as NH mentioned, that he might be the next Stephen Curry, then go for it.

I agree with you that "somber" was a poor choice of words. In fact, I don't really care too much and I don't think MM would have fit that well on our team.

Do you even read my posts Clock or just look at the first couple of words?

But, please show me where I "salivated". I simply, in an attempt to combat your ignorance on this issue, posted facts which you were so over-anxiously willing to ignore.

I think that it is funny that you accuse me of a foreign bias, when you completely unnecessarily add in that Majok is "foreign born." What does that add to your post? If anything it hurts your post, because as you admitted, foreign players are not as familiar with which American programs are more highly regarded.

I am still waiting for you to show me where I called Majok the next Curry. I never did and if you think that I did then your reading comprehension level is vastly below what I would have assumed it was.

Clock, First you said this.

Exactly!! High school means NOTHING. Many high school guys who cannot make the jump to D-1. If he were so good, he'd be at a better college. Really quite simple.

All we said was him choosing Fairfield didn't mean he wasn't good or wasn't going to be good. Nothing more, nothing less.

Then you added this, which seems to be a complete contradiction to what you said above.

No. I did not say or intend to say that there are no good players at the lesser name schools.

Well, how could they be good at a lower school if they wouldn't have went there in the 1st place if they were good? Isn't that what you said? I'll quote it again for you. "If he were so good, he'd be at a better college. Really quite simple" That's what you said.

So if Majok would have chosen BC would he instantly be better? Would Rob Loe be better if he had chosen Pitt? They are the same players the day after they make their decision as they were they day before. There is no majic spell that immediately makes your skills diminish when you say Fairfield.

You have a serious reading comprehension issue. You pick and choose what you want to debate and ignore any good rebuttal if it doesn't fit your agenda.

So you have it straight.

I have no idea whether Majok will be good or not and have said that numerous times. I know he was recruited by some pretty damn good schools and I don't think that him choosing Faifield means he isn't good or won't be good. And .... if it does, it also means Rob Loe is not Big East good as he chose SLU over Big East schools. Again, let me be really really clear for you. I don't believe Loe is less good because he chose SLU, and I don't believe Majok is less good because he chose Fairfield.

Yes, I believe there are less good players at Fairfield than at SLU or Pitt.

The A10 is better than the MAAC.

The Big East is better than the A10.

Faifield's RPI has been better than SLU's on average the last 2 years. That statement doesn't imply Fairfield will be better next year, but in regards to the last 2 years, it is fact. Stating it, doesn't mean I like SLU any less. I can still love SLU and be objective.

Nor did I

Agreed

NH.

You are totally missing the big picture. Instead of talking with these recruits, you are reading their quotes online. No disputing that you are spending ALOT of time reading everything you can find about these kids online. I fully concede that you have read, and that you will read, much more than me about these kids. Where I say you are missing the big picture is:

1. McCall and Evans signed with SLU in the Fall signing period. McCall is shorter than the some of the BCS schools wanted and therefore he was picked over by some of them in the Fall. Some kids should be picked over so that they can go after other targets while they let the picked over kid play their Senior year. If he has a good Senior year, then they will try to get him in the Spring. You fail to really give RM credit. RM is commiting to these guys in the Fall (KM, MM, DE) and THEN when these guys turn out to have really special Senior years, we are so thankful that RM's judgment was right on and that we had locked him up earlier. Because of the Letters of Intent, the big schools cannot offer these kids during the Winter and Spring. Some try (as teams tried to get KM to change his mind) but cannot. You therefore don't read about these would-be offers on Scout and Rival. Instead, you diminish the quality of these kids and RM's successful recruiting by saying these kids only had offers from the above schools -- that was in the Fall -- not now.

IMO, YOU, are the one who is judging who can play and who cannot play based upon the offers of other schools. Maybe you truly believe that Majok is better recruit because he had BCS offers in the Spring as compared to MM who only had offers from Northern IL and IL State. I guarantee that that if MM changed his mind over the Winter months, MM would have received many more offers, and from even better schools, than Majok received. In the Spring, with scholarships going unused, all teams throw scholarships at kids - especially if they are 6'8" with some skill. If coaches sign no one, the coach loses his job. BCS coaches would much rather take credit for signing a 6'8" kid in the Spring and hope he develops than save the scholarship. If the kid doesn't turn out, then the schools find ways to make them leave so the scholarship returns again.

2. The foreign born kids give you little to read about and compare to the American kids. These kids, such as our Aussies and KIWI, have their summer months during our winter months. Therefore, their recruitment is really in the Spring and not the Fall - the complete opposite of the American kids. Also, many BCS schools do not have the connections and contacts that RM has made. Hiring an Aussie with connections as our assistant coach, spending money on travel/time/resources, and then using the existing foreign born kids to help recruit has been really smart.

Guess it will take RM/SLU to win and then get American kids who score high on the recruiting publications until you realize what the kids really think about the eccentric bald-headed fat man.

NH.

You are totally missing the big picture. Instead of talking with these recruits, you are reading their quotes online. No disputing that you are spending ALOT of time reading everything you can find about these kids online. I fully concede that you have read, and that you will read, much more than me about these kids. Where I say you are missing the big picture is:

1. McCall and Evans signed with SLU in the Fall signing period. McCall is shorter than the some of the BCS schools wanted and therefore he was picked over by some of them in the Fall. Some kids should be picked over so that they can go after other targets while they let the picked over kid play their Senior year. If he has a good Senior year, then they will try to get him in the Spring. You fail to really give RM credit. RM is commiting to these guys in the Fall (KM, MM, DE) and THEN when these guys turn out to have really special Senior years, we are so thankful that RM's judgment was right on and that we had locked him up earlier. Because of the Letters of Intent, the big schools cannot offer these kids during the Winter and Spring. Some try (as teams tried to get KM to change his mind) but cannot. You therefore don't read about these would-be offers on Scout and Rival. Instead, you diminish the quality of these kids and RM's successful recruiting by saying these kids only had offers from the above schools -- that was in the Fall -- not now.

IMO, YOU, are the one who is judging who can play and who cannot play based upon the offers of other schools. Maybe you truly believe that Majok is better recruit because he had BCS offers in the Spring as compared to MM who only had offers from Northern IL and IL State. I guarantee that that if MM changed his mind over the Winter months, MM would have received many more offers, and from even better schools, than Majok received. In the Spring, with scholarships going unused, all teams throw scholarships at kids - especially if they are 6'8" with some skill. If coaches sign no one, the coach loses his job. BCS coaches would much rather take credit for signing a 6'8" kid in the Spring and hope he develops than save the scholarship. If the kid doesn't turn out, then the schools find ways to make them leave so the scholarship returns again.

2. The foreign born kids give you little to read about and compare to the American kids. These kids, such as our Aussies and KIWI, have their summer months during our winter months. Therefore, their recruitment is really in the Spring and not the Fall - the complete opposite of the American kids. Also, many BCS schools do not have the connections and contacts that RM has made. Hiring an Aussie with connections as our assistant coach, spending money on travel/time/resources, and then using the existing foreign born kids to help recruit has been really smart.

Guess it will take RM/SLU to win and then get American kids who score high on the recruiting publications until you realize what the kids really think about the eccentric bald-headed fat man.

I really dont think I misunderstand. And I am only quoting quotes from accurate sources.

If MM hadn't committed till the spring he would have had multiple BCS offers. Same with DE. But, as you note, RM got on them early and locked them up, showing his great ability to recognize talent. But, he did not really beat out big schools for these players, which is what I am saying.

To clarify my thoughts:

I would not take Majok over any of our current recruits.

I think RM has a good eye for talent

I think foreign players do not care as much the prestige of schools since they are not used to it.

I do not think Majok's choice of Fairfield indicts him as not a good player

I do not think that Majok will be the next Curry

I do give RM credit for our quality recruiting classes not because he is out recruiting these other coaches, but because he is out-evaluating them.

I do not think the name "Majerus" means as much as you think to 17 year-old basketball players.

I really dont think I misunderstand. And I am only quoting quotes from accurate sources.

If MM hadn't committed till the spring he would have had multiple BCS offers. Same with DE. But, as you note, RM got on them early and locked them up, showing his great ability to recognize talent. But, he did not really beat out big schools for these players, which is what I am saying.

To clarify my thoughts:

I think foreign players do not care as much the prestige of schools since they are not used to it.

I do give RM credit for our quality recruiting classes not because he is out recruiting these other coaches, but because he is out-evaluating them.

I do not think the name "Majerus" means as much as you think to 17 year-old basketball players.

Speaking to your last point, Majerus may not mean as much to 17-year-olds, but "Majerus" still means a lot to high school and AAU coaches.

To clarify my thoughts:

NH.

I actually agree with all your statements except the last one. Speaking of reading comprehension, all this started with my post "+1". I never started a post saying that Majok sucks b/c he chose Fairfield. I am not indicting him as a player and I wish the kid well. Surprised you were so big on a 16 ppg kid from a prep school. Maybe you were completely wrong on the other Aussie (CE) and now want to be ahead of the curve. Who knows.

Sorry, but statements like yours:

But, it is not like he is beating out all sorts of top flight schools for these recruits.

certainly imply to me that RM is recruiting middle tier players. If you are so adament that a player's choice of school does not reflect, in any manner, upon the quality of the kid (MM going to Fairfield), why do you make such statements above. My point is that RM IS IN FACT recruiting high level recruits (KM, MM, CE, RL and DE), that he is realistic in his approach (not working on "one and done" guys like other and even Romar did), that he is making accurate and decisive judgements on recruits (which was a problem for Brad Soderberg), that when SLU lands these guys (b/c it is SLU) and (b/c they are foreign born), their recruiting rankings/stars/numbers are not then inflated and that your statements are misleading (whether accurate or not) about our recruits final choices in the Fall when compared to some of these Spring recruits.

As to your last statement, let's keep things simple: Please answer why is SLU getting so many good recruits if the name "Majerus" does not mean so much to 17 year-old basketball players? I see a long drought of NCAA Tourney appearances, I see an inferior league (A10 v. Great Midwest/Conf USA), I see less rival games and I see no comparison to any coach from to Grawer, to Spoon to Romar to Brad as far a recruiting. After 3 full years on the job, Romar finally got 1 kid - Hollis and Romar was/is a good coach/recruiter. RM land 5 before his first game. Spoon had some good recruits and teams but never the depth of 3 classes in a row. I think you are understating how good RM really is. After he is gone, or after this year's season, RM will finally get the credit he is due. In an earlier thread, you mentioned that RM has not done enough to justify his $1 million salary and to earn him due credit. Guess this is just another continuation of that line of thinking.

NH.

I actually agree with all your statements except the last one. Speaking of reading comprehension, all this started with my post "+1". I never started a post saying that Majok sucks b/c he chose Fairfield. I am not indicting him as a player and I wish the kid well. Surprised you were so big on a 16 ppg kid from a prep school. Maybe you were completely wrong on the other Aussie (CE) and now want to be ahead of the curve. Who knows.

Sorry, but statements like yours:

But, it is not like he is beating out all sorts of top flight schools for these recruits.

certainly imply to me that RM is recruiting middle tier players. If you are so adament that a player's choice of school does not reflect, in any manner, upon the quality of the kid (MM going to Fairfield), why do you make such statements above. My point is that RM IS IN FACT recruiting high level recruits (KM, MM, CE, RL and DE), that he is realistic in his approach (not working on "one and done" guys like other and even Romar did), that he is making accurate and decisive judgements on recruits (which was a problem for Brad Soderberg), that when SLU lands these guys (b/c it is SLU) and (b/c they are foreign born), their recruiting rankings/stars/numbers are not then inflated and that your statements are misleading (whether accurate or not) about our recruits final choices in the Fall when compared to some of these Spring recruits.

As to your last statement, let's keep things simple: Please answer why is SLU getting so many good recruits if the name "Majerus" does not mean so much to 17 year-old basketball players? I see a long drought of NCAA Tourney appearances, I see an inferior league (A10 v. Great Midwest/Conf USA), I see less rival games and I see no comparison to any coach from to Grawer, to Spoon to Romar to Brad as far a recruiting. After 3 full years on the job, Romar finally got 1 kid - Hollis and Romar was/is a good coach/recruiter. RM land 5 before his first game. Spoon had some good recruits and teams but never the depth of 3 classes in a row. I think you are understating how good RM really is. After he is gone, or after this year's season, RM will finally get the credit he is due. In an earlier thread, you mentioned that RM has not done enough to justify his $1 million salary and to earn him due credit. Guess this is just another continuation of that line of thinking.

I think that Majerus is getting high quality players. I never said I didn't. I just don't think he is beating out big-time programs and out recruiting lots of other coaches for them.

And I was not completely wrong on CE. I was wrong in a lot of aspects and right in some others.

I think RM will have justified his $1 million salary when we make the tournament this year.

Has Stephen Strasburg warranted his salary? No.

Is he on pace to? yes.