Ya gotta Love It

I do not think a lot of posters realize what really goes on in college level sports.

If you didnt play (NH), ask some people who did, even MU football players, for example: every day the kids compete, get graded, their jobs are on the line. We only read in the paper the ones who are on the team, the ones who get in the game. Others, "come and go".

It can be brutal.

We are just not used to it.

@ SLU, when Majerus got here, the talent level was very low, the only remaining players that were competitive were Lisch and Liddell.

Majerus recruited compettive level players... the question is, what about the others?

I think most decided to leave, some where patted on the butt and told of the reality that they faced.

I do not really like it, but with Majeerus, age is an issue, is he to do this with results targeted for 2013? 2014?

We had results in 2010... with more to come in 2011.

This competition happens everywhere... we are just not used to it.

It was not relevant to our situation.

NOW it is.

A lot of this happened here since the SLU talent was not competitive.

It will taper off as the team gets 3-4 players per academic class yr.

I just don't see why you have to have played college level athletics to understand this stuff. People like sometimes you and billikenbilly use that to make it seem like they automatically know more than other posters. I have played sports all my life up to my current level (high school) and I understand you don't always get along with your coach. But, I could understand that if I had never played sports in my life.

This will be a big year for RM because, for all the praise he gets on this board, up until now he hasn't gotten the results you would expect from a Million $ coach. That is, obviously, to be expected given the age of the players, but next year there is no reason not for us to make a tourney run. I hope and expect that will be the coach.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Billikenbilly,

You berate RM for blaming RM for things, but then you act like RM doesn't have any faults. And by the way, BS almost always came on after the games, including losses. RM rarely comes on, even after a lot of wins.

No, it is not as bad as Roy says it is but he is far from perfect.

Pros

- Has done a good job recruiting

- Seems to be a good in-game coach

- Player development seems to be good

- Has gotten SLU a little national media attention because of his pedigree

- has hired good assistant coaches

- Has very good knowledge of local eateries despite only being hear a couple of years

- No disciplinary or academic problems in his reign as coach

Those are some very important pros and they definitely outweigh the cons in my view, but to deny that there are issues with RM is to be ignorant in my view.

Cons

- Has done a below-average job connecting with the STL media (this has been picking up recently)

- Hasn't done a great job recruiting the STL area (this isn't a big deal to some, but I think it is important)

- Has run several players off the team (that is my opinion, but DM, AK, AM and I bet soon JJ were run off in my opinion)

- Has not assembled a great schedule

- Can not answer a question without rambling off track (Which is why I'm glad he doesn't do the post-game)

- His personality has alianted a lot of fans, media members etc. and also hurt his relationships with some players (as I said earlier, I know that is going to happen, he is who he is and players often don't get along with their coaches, but I hope our next coach does a better job in this category.

I am not denying there are issues. There are many things about every coach that someone can find fault with. What bothers me are the posts on this board that call him a bad person or classless or completely lacking dignity. The same people who see nothing good in our current coach are the people who saw nothing bad in our previous coach and, frankly, its annoying.

For those who can't stand the coach, to each his own. But don't put on blinders and pretend like there were never problems before. And don't just make things up and assume the worst before anything actually happens. There should be some accountability with what gets posted on here.

He's one of the top bench coaches in the game. His players graduate. Most players, even if they found him exhausting to play for, will tell you that playing for him was the best experience of their lives.

Billikenbilly,

You berate RM for blaming RM for things, but then you act like RM doesn't have any faults. And by the way, BS almost always came on after the games, including losses. RM rarely comes on, even after a lot of wins.

Pros

- Has very good knowledge of local eateries despite only being hear a couple of years

Those are some very important pros and they definitely outweigh the cons in my view, but to deny that there are issues with RM is to be ignorant in my view.

Cons

- Has done a below-average job connecting with the STL media (this has been picking up recently)

- Hasn't done a great job recruiting the STL area (this isn't a big deal to some, but I think it is important)

- Has run several players off the team (that is my opinion, but DM, AK, AM and I bet soon JJ were run off in my opinion)

- Can not answer a question without rambling off track (Which is why I'm glad he doesn't do the post-game)

- His personality has alianted a lot of fans, media members etc. and also hurt his relationships with some players (as I said earlier, I know that is going to happen, he is who he is and players often don't get along with their coaches, but I hope our next coach does a better job in this category.

And you are wrong about Soderberg coming on the radio after games. He often threw the other coaches under the bus and made them do it, mainly when we lost. If you are still in high school, you may just be too young to remember.

Majerus has been available to the media after nearly every game. Check Nate's website and you can watch his post-game interviews.

Billikenbilly,

Pros

Cons

And you are wrong about Soderberg coming on the radio after games. He often threw the other coaches under the bus and made them do it, mainly when we lost. If you are still in high school, you may just be too young to remember.

Majerus has been available to the media after nearly every game. Check Nate's website and you can watch his post-game interviews.

I have watched every post-game interview on Nate's site. And BS was on the radio a lot more than RM. Also, every coach does those post-game press conferences.

Sodie may have been a worse coach, but he was certainly more open to the media.

All of these complaints are totally unrelated to the fact that RM is taking us to new heights and is creating a winning program. Complain all you want - fixing his "flaws" will not make this program win more so really it is irrelevant.

By the way, sometimes a little destructive reconstruction is good for a stagnant program.

I have watched every post-game interview on Nate's site. And BS was on the radio a lot more than RM. Also, every coach does those post-game press conferences.

Sodie may have been a worse coach, but he was certainly more open to the media.

Who gives a sh!t how he is with the media, Majerus is the best thing to happen to this program in a long time. He's turning the program around and we are worried about how often he is on the radio and how open he is with the media. It's like listening to my buddy tell me how his ex-wife was worse in bed than his new girlfriend who's a freak, but she communicated so much better than his new girlfriend.......again, who gives a sh!t, you got yourself a freak

Who gives a sh!t how he is with the media, Majerus is the best thing to happen to this program in a long time. He's turning the program around and we are worried about how often he is on the radio and how open he is with the media. It's like listening to my buddy tell me how his ex-wife was worse in bed than his new girlfriend who's a freak, but she communicated so much better than his new girlfriend.......again, who gives a sh!t, you got yourself a freak

Haha...nice post.

Shouldn't we wait until we actually make the tournament before saying he is the best thing to happen to SLU?

You can do what you would like, but I believe he's the best thing to happen to the program in a long time. There is more hype surrounding the team, the recruits and their future then I've seen in awhile, and I would credit Majerus for that.

Excellent post. Couldn't agree more.

Majerus is great for this program.

Freaks are awesome.