what are the flats at 374? a new residence hall?

is that the grand view apartments? is it the whole complex or just part of it? just curious, since i have not seen that before.

It is the two story building in front of grandview that used to be the convention center/office spaces/ whatever thingy right next to deltaco.

It is the two story building in front of grandview that used to be the convention center/office spaces/ whatever thingy right next to deltaco.

thanks. i wonder if buying the grandview apts is in the future for slu. they seem to have a greater demand for student housing than ever before

The project was developed by the same guys who are about to renovate the Railway Exchange building downtown (home of the downtown Macy's). They recently sold it to SLU.

I don't think they sold it to SLU. A deal was reached so SLU would be able to offer it as 'on campus' housing, but SLU doesn't own it.

The flats are a point of HUGE disagreement at SLU.

As many of you probably know SLU decided to stop being a commuter school many years ago and began offering scholarships specifically for housing. This naturally made On-Campus Housing a better option then commuting...resulting in more students on campus.

This year SLU decided to make Freshmen live on campus and next year both freshmen and sophmores must live on campus (in following with many other private schools rules). Therefore with 2 full classes living on campus and many juniors/seniors living on campus because of their housing scholarships making it cheaper....there was not enough room for all the students.

Sophmores took some juniors and seniors spots on campus causing juniors and seniors to find residence off campus. Also the housing scholarship was not upheld at the Flats causing many people to complain. That situation has been resolved temporarily. basically it comes down to SLU needing more housing.

Search on Facebook for "slu Housing Fiasco 2010" or "Slu housing petition" - it explains the situation in more detail.

The flats are a point of HUGE disagreement at SLU.

As many of you probably know SLU decided to stop being a commuter school many years ago and began offering scholarships specifically for housing. This naturally made On-Campus Housing a better option then commuting...resulting in more students on campus.

This year SLU decided to make Freshmen live on campus and next year both freshmen and sophmores must live on campus (in following with many other private schools rules). Therefore with 2 full classes living on campus and many juniors/seniors living on campus because of their housing scholarships making it cheaper....there was not enough room for all the students.

Sophmores took some juniors and seniors spots on campus causing juniors and seniors to find residence off campus. Also the housing scholarship was not upheld at the Flats causing many people to complain. That situation has been resolved temporarily. basically it comes down to SLU needing more housing.

Search on Facebook for "slu Housing Fiasco 2010" or "Slu housing petition" - it explains the situation in more detail.

a few years ago the Sansone people (I think) tried to give SLU the high rise apartments that included many union retirees and disabled There

was a demonstraton of sorts (bad Publicity) and the deal did not go through. It is under utilized space and very near Del Taco; I know that

is pretty vague but someone must know the story better than I do.

a few years ago the Sansone people (I think) tried to give SLU the high rise apartments that included many union retirees and disabled There

was a demonstraton of sorts (bad Publicity) and the deal did not go through. It is under utilized space and very near Del Taco; I know that

is pretty vague but someone must know the story better than I do.

Wow, that brings back memories.

It used to or still is called Council House. I recall back in the old days (35 years ago), taking a gerontological social work class and going to that housing project and doing surveys.

When I went to SLU, housing was never a issue. Walsh was completely empty and female students lived in Rogers (now Jesuit Hall). Lots of students found very cheap accommodations living in the large homes (which owners broke up into apartments) west of the campus or, as I did, reside in the Laclede Town public housing east of the campus. At that time Laclede Town was pretty nice.

Wow, that brings back memories.

It used to or still is called Council House. I recall back in the old days (35 years ago), taking a gerontological social work class and going to that housing project and doing surveys.

When I went to SLU, housing was never a issue. Walsh was completely empty and female students lived in Rogers (now Jesuit Hall). Lots of students found very cheap accommodations living in the large homes (which owners broke up into apartments) west of the campus or, as I did, reside in the Laclede Town public housing east of the campus. At that time Laclede Town was pretty nice.

-------------

I was told by one of the department chairs that the percentage of local students vs. out of town students attending SLU has not changed that much in the past 35 years, but that over 80 percent of the local kids now reside on campus. When I went there, the number of locals that lived on campus was around 10 percent. With the incredible expansion of the campus and all the amenities now available, I wish I was a student again.