Cody Ellis minutes where do they come from?

GOSLU68

Reed is defintely a C, at least in the A-10. Conklin is our PF, however he is undersized. I think that BC fits best as a PF because he does not have the skill set of a SF, but he is still undersized as a PF. Now, it would seem that CE has the skill set of a typical 3, in terms of shooting and ball-handling ability. Yet, he also has at least 2 inches on BC. And, most likely, can rebound better than BC. Thus, do we look to play CE at the 4 or the 3? You can look at the the plusses and minusses on both sides...

BC is a tough player, willing to mix it up with anyone down low, take the tough foul, enforce, etc. However, his offense is very limited, he is not a great rebounder, he has shown issues with finishing in the low post, etc. CE has shown greater potential, albeit in the international game against different competition. However, in that specific scenario, he has shown he can shoot from beyond the arc, let alone from 15 feet. He has also shown he can board and play both 3s and 4s defensively. On top of that, he can pass from both the high and low post. Once again, this is against different competition, and BC has shown great aptitude passing from the high post (we've seen tons of alley oops to WR from him!)

Basically, I think CE is a true 3 and BC is an undersized, tough 4. Eventually, I see RM playing all 3 at the same time, and the minutes that go to CE are taken from Femi and KC, along with CR. JS hasn't had many minutes so far but if CE shows that we can play a true 3 on a regular basis, then he might see JS' minutes increase. We have a lot more athleticism with CE and JS than people realize, and I think we will see it over the next few games.

Reed is defintely a C, at least in the A-10. Conklin is our PF, however he is undersized. I think that BC fits best as a PF because he does not have the skill set of a SF, but he is still undersized as a PF. Now, it would seem that CE has the skill set of a typical 3, in terms of shooting and ball-handling ability. Yet, he also has at least 2 inches on BC. And, most likely, can rebound better than BC. Thus, do we look to play CE at the 4 or the 3? You can look at the the plusses and minusses on both sides...

BC is a tough player, willing to mix it up with anyone down low, take the tough foul, enforce, etc. However, his offense is very limited, he is not a great rebounder, he has shown issues with finishing in the low post, etc. CE has shown greater potential, albeit in the international game against different competition. However, in that specific scenario, he has shown he can shoot from beyond the arc, let alone from 15 feet. He has also shown he can board and play both 3s and 4s defensively. On top of that, he can pass from both the high and low post. Once again, this is against different competition, and BC has shown great aptitude passing from the high post (we've seen tons of alley oops to WR from him!)

Basically, I think CE is a true 3 and BC is an undersized, tough 4. Eventually, I see RM playing all 3 at the same time, and the minutes that go to CE are taken from Femi and KC, along with CR. JS hasn't had many minutes so far but if CE shows that we can play a true 3 on a regular basis, then he might see JS' minutes increase. We have a lot more athleticism with CE and JS than people realize, and I think we will see it over the next few games.

athleticism, 6-9, can dribble, shoot the 3,

rebound-sounds like 3.5 years of heaven

but what I still say we lack is control

of the bacboard; WR had none with two minutes left

in the game and we were outrebounded

by more than 10 mostly due to a very

good 6-9 and 285 pound center. It is hard to

believe BG is about .500 out of conference

I was worried about Polk going into this game and my concern turned out to be well placed. Reed gets in early foul trouble and remains ineffective against a much larger and athletic player. This is why Loe will help if he comes (Thompson would have helped by freeing up Willie). Ellis will help because he will spread the defenses out.

Either way, I am really concerned that Majerus is looking at his first losing season. Ellis will take awhile to get acclimated to everything and in the meantime we are going into much more challenging play.

From what ive seen of ellis, athletic is not the word id use. He is a good shooter, with good size and good instincts who knows how to play around the basket. But we dont have kevin durant coming in.

We had this argument before NH! How do you know he's not athletic? You have never seen him play.

Like you, Ive seen some of the FIBA games. He is about average athleticism from what Ive seen, but he makes up for it with size and shooting ability.

-just curious about what some think a reasonable expectation should be...for practice

-how much time should be spent trying to get cody up to speed as opposed to advancing the rest of the players/team?

-i am guessing until school starts there is extra time, rick may think all but unlimited, but when school starts in a week practice time becomes limited

-guessing rick and company have thought through this