Free-throw shooting technique

I don’t know how long he’s been doing this, but we noticed last night that Willie shoots his foul shots standing off-center to the left, with his right foot roughly straight-on to the basket.

I noticed this comment by Bonwich on Billiken Beat.

Actually, this is proper technique. Right-handed players should stand with their right foot pointing towards the hoop. (Left foot for left-handed shooters.) That allows the shooter to keep elbow and shoulder lined up and shoot straight towards the hoop.

I, too, used to think that one should straddle the imaginary line coming straight from the hoop, but that forces the shooter to shoot slightly across the body. The more moving and adjusting you have to do, the more chance there is for discrepancy.

Actually, this is proper technique. Right-handed players should stand with their right foot pointing towards the hoop. (Left foot for left-handed shooters.) That allows the shooter to keep elbow and shoulder lined up and shoot straight towards the hoop.

I, too, used to think that one should straddle the imaginary line coming straight from the hoop, but that forces the shooter to shoot slightly across the body. The more moving and adjusting you have to do, the more chance there is for discrepancy.

I used to shoot free throws with my right front directly on line, but after seeing how JJ Redick does it (best form in the world) I changed. He stands with his foot six inches to the right of center.

I'll watch all of our shooters tomorrow, and until then I'll respectfully disagree. He isn't just slightly off-center, as NH notices his style is. He's shooting from the left side of the circle. It's possible this is exaggerated by his physique, but I think he's, well, unusual in his technique. (I'm also not sure what "right foot pointing towards the hoop" means. Can't you do this from anywhere on the line simply by adjusting the angle with which you face the basket?)

I'll watch all of our shooters tomorrow, and until then I'll respectfully disagree. He isn't just slightly off-center, as NH notices his style is. He's shooting from the left side of the circle. It's possible this is exaggerated by his physique, but I think he's, well, unusual in his technique. (I'm also not sure what "right foot pointing towards the hoop" means. Can't you do this from anywhere on the line simply by adjusting the angle with which you face the basket?)

If you drew a line down the middle of the floor that is where his right foot would be. Willie's free throw problems are not touch or form, he just too arm-heavy which causes inconsistency.

My folks wasted a lot of money sending me to basketball camps as a kid. About the only thing of value I remember is that there is a tiny nail or dot in the center of the free throw line on every correctly designed court. I was always taught to align the middle of the shooting foot on this dot. I guess Wilie and I received the same instruction. :P

My folks wasted a lot of money sending me to basketball camps as a kid. About the only thing of value I remember is that there is a tiny nail or dot in the center of the free throw line on every correctly designed court. I was always taught to align the middle of the shooting foot on this dot. I guess Wilie and I received the same instruction. :P

I made this same comment, w/ no filth even. And the post was deleted. AIDS.