Big Name Basketball Coming to St. Louis

unfortunately we won't be a part of it.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...9B?OpenDocument

I'd guess the college hall of fame organizes this thing, but what a slap in the face for SLU. We couldn't have taken Arkansas' place against UL? Kind of a replay of a matchup that went on for over 50 years in the MVC, Grt MW, Metro, CUSA etc? Just goes to show how lightly regarded SLU is in it's hometown. AD ought to file off a protest letter or at least one in which he expresses how po'd he is. Obviously these games will attract a large turnout as all the school's fans can easily reach St.L by car. So maybe filling downtown's hotel rooms and restaurants was the reason, but still we're ignored in our own hometown. Would have been great if they'd had us play Mizzery.... whoops, had to stop and slap myself in the face to wake up from that dream. Again, this su**s!

I actually think it might be a bigger slap in the face to Mizzou. (OH MY GAWD DID HE ACTUALLY SAY THAT !!!!)

I can see and understand our disgust, and I admit to having a little of it as well. But for those of you thinking we are big deals in the college basketball world, again, please stop hitting the snooze alarm and wake up. What amps up our pedigree to play in this game? The fact that its in our home town? The fact that we have a big man in black on our sidelines? Our "great" back-to-back recruiting classes don't even make a dent in the ESPN top twenty and these are agruably three of college basketball's royalty coming to town to play.

Arkansas? That's where Mizzou --- what, an Elite Eight from a year ago --- ought to really be bitching. Maybe the Tigers were not ocnsidered because they already play a game in Scottstrade and the organizers saw that as a home court thing? I don't know. the only thing that would say this is justice would be for two other lower tier teams to be in this with us and Kansas or Memphis or Louisville. Kind of like what those teams in Milwaukee adn Columbia do when they host the Uncle Merkle Holiday Christmas tournament where three dogs and the home team come to play.

No, this is premier NCAA early season event and we don't merit that kind of consideration just yet.

Agree. And just to add, why would these big names in NCAA basketball want to play us here in town where we'd have an advantage - local fans/venue. Same with Mizzou. Even if either SLU or Mizzou would be involved, the venue certainly would not be here in St. Louis. Appears the whole concept is to get "neutral" court games as the BCS programs have decided not to play "away" games anymore before their conference season when they are actually required to play away games. Pre-season select tournaments for competition, slick marketing and revenue events like this for more competition along with money and recruiting and then the rest of their pre-conference games being "buy games."

For those fixated with geography, it also makes sense for geographic/travel purposes and provides really good exposure for not only their local fans/alumni but also and more importantly it helps them make money while giving them a great and free recruiting recruiting chance -- Mr. Beal at Chaminade and possibly others. Chicago is another options but is largely considered to be too much of a "home" city for Notre Dame. Kansas City is a definite home city for KU.

With these events, the winners can brag about their wins and the losers need to be embarrassed losing to such a good program on an neutral court. The REAL loser of these events are the mid-majors who cannot find good opponents to play home and away series.

I actually think it might be a bigger slap in the face to Mizzou. (OH MY GAWD DID HE ACTUALLY SAY THAT !!!!)

I can see and understand our disgust, and I admit to having a little of it as well. But for those of you thinking we are big deals in the college basketball world, again, please stop hitting the snooze alarm and wake up. What amps up our pedigree to play in this game? The fact that its in our home town? The fact that we have a big man in black on our sidelines? Our "great" back-to-back recruiting classes don't even make a dent in the ESPN top twenty and these are agruably three of college basketball's royalty coming to town to play.

Arkansas? That's where Mizzou --- what, an Elite Eight from a year ago --- ought to really be bitching. Maybe the Tigers were not ocnsidered because they already play a game in Scottstrade and the organizers saw that as a home court thing? I don't know. the only thing that would say this is justice would be for two other lower tier teams to be in this with us and Kansas or Memphis or Louisville. Kind of like what those teams in Milwaukee adn Columbia do when they host the Uncle Merkle Holiday Christmas tournament where three dogs and the home team come to play.

No, this is premier NCAA early season event and we don't merit that kind of consideration just yet.

With these events, the winners can brag about their wins and the losers need to be embarrassed losing to such a good program on an neutral court. The REAL loser of these events are the mid-majors who cannot find good opponents to play home and away series.

Mid-majors should take what they can get. If you have the opportunity to play someone the caliber of KU or Duke, you should take it. I'm not say taking a guarentee game from them, but if it's between playing a tough road game or a home and home with a subpar team, which one will help you out more?

Mid-majors should take what they can get. If you have the opportunity to play someone the caliber of KU or Duke, you should take it. I'm not say taking a guarentee game from them, but if it's between playing a tough road game or a home and home with a subpar team, which one will help you out more?

Rock Chalk, D-bag!

Agree. And just to add, why would these big names in NCAA basketball want to play us here in town where we'd have an advantage - local fans/venue. Same with Mizzou. Even if either SLU or Mizzou would be involved, the venue certainly would not be here in St. Louis. Appears the whole concept is to get "neutral" court games as the BCS programs have decided not to play "away" games anymore before their conference season when they are actually required to play away games. Pre-season select tournaments for competition, slick marketing and revenue events like this for more competition along with money and recruiting and then the rest of their pre-conference games being "buy games."

For those fixated with geography, it also makes sense for geographic/travel purposes and provides really good exposure for not only their local fans/alumni but also and more importantly it helps them make money while giving them a great and free recruiting recruiting chance -- Mr. Beal at Chaminade and possibly others. Chicago is another options but is largely considered to be too much of a "home" city for Notre Dame. Kansas City is a definite home city for KU.

I don't think anyone expects SLU to be in big-time TV games like this right now. While it may be a good thing for the city, the problem is that it makes these teams even less likely to play us in the near future. They are all reasonable opponents for us,

I don't think anyone expects SLU to be in big-time TV games like this right now. While it may be a good thing for the city, the problem is that it makes these teams even less likely to play us in the near future. They are all reasonable opponents for us,

No doubt. SLU has a way to go before landing a big TV game like this. It will be several more years before SLU's big game will be more than just another game to a big time team.

I'd guess the college hall of fame organizes this thing, but what a slap in the face for SLU. We couldn't have taken Arkansas' place against UL? Kind of a replay of a matchup that went on for over 50 years in the MVC, Grt MW, Metro, CUSA etc? Just goes to show how lightly regarded SLU is in it's hometown. AD ought to file off a protest letter or at least one in which he expresses how po'd he is. Obviously these games will attract a large turnout as all the school's fans can easily reach St.L by car. So maybe filling downtown's hotel rooms and restaurants was the reason, but still we're ignored in our own hometown. Would have been great if they'd had us play Mizzery.... whoops, had to stop and slap myself in the face to wake up from that dream. Again, this su**s!

No wonder they want to introduce out of town basketball to Saint Louis. We have not had these teams play and when we do get the

chance to schedule public school basketball teams with powerful alumni and athletic departments reeling in football type money to

spend on smaller program sports like basketball we will need to recognize who the other players are and they must see it is easy to

get to Saint Louis. This is a win-win for us just like it is great for our team to play in Chicago for a tournament up there. Cubs fans

come to Saint Louis all the time hoping some day to win a World Series and visiting a team that has done it many times gets the idea a little closer. We need to get back to home and home with De Paul and schedule some other better basketball programs such

as Bradley, Butler, etc who all wish they had been invited. I can't imagine TV scheduling a tournament in Champaign or Columbia without Missouri or Illinois but they get plenty of chances to see them during the year without having to travel by bus. Here, you fly right in and out of Saint Louis and there are lots of things to do and see to admire our city.

The glass is half full.

This is good for local tourism as all these programs are close and travel very well. It makes a lot of sense. Part of the appeal in playing this for these teams is to get a little neutral site feel that may help prepare them for March.

unfortunately we won't be a part of it.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...9B?OpenDocument

I think it's a non-issue for us. Really not that much different than having a regional here. It's not a negative for SLU. It will get a little love by the local media and then it will be gone. If it doesn't sell out they'll be all kinds of excuses by Viverito as to what happened.