Bench Scoring

It seems like the Bills have a glaring need to have a guard who can come in off the bench and knock down some threes. They miss Cotto or a player who was supposed to fill that role. Eckerle sounds like a great kid and a good player to have in the program, but he doesn't really seem to offer much if he is going to get extended minutes. He had one nice game where he hit some threes, but never really did it again. I hope the player I am describing is on next year's roster and Paul gets moved further down the bench. On the plus side, another nice game by Barry.

I echo your thoughts but the bigger question to me next year is WHO SCORES? Forget the guard off the bench lighting it up from three point land. Who scores throughout the game? Mithcell should have the ball in his hands and has done some nice things since the concussion on. But who's next? Inside, we will have Reed who should be better but not THEE answer. Thompson is also a keeper but we all know he needs work. If I'm the defense, I drop two into the lane to limit Mithcell's dribble/drive. If or when that happens, who is Mitchell's release outlet? Cassity hasn't shown much in terms of being able to stop and pop with any real consistency. All the reports I get on Femi say "slasher" and not a spot up shooter. And you just said it ain't Eckerle which I certainly agree with. If you agree on those points, then we'd have to agree that the shooter is not yet on our active roster. So what's coming?

Remuken is not a candidate as most believe we are looking at a redshirt there. Smith, I don't think so. Not from 20 feet anyway. I saw where someone recently said Salesich is a defender more than a scorer and some have even suggested that we offered him to get Ellis. Ellis seems to be a big with range, which, while nice, is not the spot up shooter I think you are desribing. A nice to have but not the answer. Which leaves Reid. Even if it is Reid or Salesich or even Ellis, all are (doom drum roll) Freshmen and we know what happens there.

All is not lost. All one needs to do is look to Dayton and see that a reliable or dependable shooter is not really a necessity. Provided you have a group of athletes where you throw it up and let them clean the window or run-and-gun. Problem with that is that I don't see that as RM's style. Problem with a team like Dayton is eventually, teams wise up, put no coverage on your non-shooting point guard, play zones, keep you off the boards, play slow down and make you beat them at a style you are not used to. If you impose your will and your style on them, more times than not, you can and will win. Again, look at Dayton.

I happen to think skills are way down across the basketball universe. You get your facetime on ESPN with the facial dunk, not the blase jump shot. Kids emulate what they see. I was really hoping Maguire before him and now Cassity were the proverbial second coming of Chris Collins but that does not seem to be the case at SLU.

So who do the rest see as our "skill" shooters next year?

Majerus has great faith in Cassity, but I agree with your opinion that he really hasn't found "it" yet on the floor. But, on the flip side, if it's development that he needs, there is no better in the business than Majerus, so maybe next year will be the epiphany that we're looking for.

Otherwise, I agree, the Bills will have a problem getting points of the bench. Eckerle's role is ever-decreasing with the team, and we lose Barry this year. I would think that Thompson and Reed won't start at the same time, so that might be one answer, though Thompson hasn't shown much this year either (albeit he also hasn't played all that much). So that will leave the incoming freshmen to back up the starters -- but who knows, as you pointed out, it does work and it could work here.

Majerus has great faith in Cassity, but I agree with your opinion that he really hasn't found "it" yet on the floor. But, on the flip side, if it's development that he needs, there is no better in the business than Majerus, so maybe next year will be the epiphany that we're looking for.

Otherwise, I agree, the Bills will have a problem getting points of the bench. Eckerle's role is ever-decreasing with the team, and we lose Barry this year. I would think that Thompson and Reed won't start at the same time, so that might be one answer, though Thompson hasn't shown much this year either (albeit he also hasn't played all that much). So that will leave the incoming freshmen to back up the starters -- but who knows, as you pointed out, it does work and it could work here.

To add about KC. I heard the end of RM's radio show last week and forgot to post this earlier.

RM was saying really nice things about KC. In fact, he said KC was a "good" passer, then corrected himself and said, no he is a "great" passer, that KC has come a long way and that he hopes and expects real improvement in the offseason. Apparently, he sat down with KM last year and told him he needs to work on his outside shot and lift weights. KM did that and now he will sit down with each of this year's guys (w/in 3 days of the end of the season) and go over a similar checklist for them to work on in the offseason. Among them, RM said KC (similar to KM) needs the weights and to improve his outside shot (I wondered why he didn't sit down - maybe he did - with KC and the other Freshman as well). But then I found it interesting when RM noted that, this summer, KC will NOT be playing baseball - sounded like his first summer ever - but instead will be working on his basketball game/weights all summer. With this time all Spring, Summer and Fall, and with the knowledge about what it takes to succeed in the college game and with experience gained from this year's season, RM hopes for great improvement. So do I!!

Sorry for the rambling post - but I typed it the way RM said things on the radio!! :lol:

To add about KC. I heard the end of RM's radio show last week and forgot to post this earlier.

RM was saying really nice things about KC. In fact, he said KC was a "good" passer, then corrected himself and said, no he is a "great" passer, that KC has come a long way and that he hopes and expects real improvement in the offseason. Apparently, he sat down with KM last year and told him he needs to work on his outside shot and lift weights. KM did that and now he will sit down with each of this year's guys (w/in 3 days of the end of the season) and go over a similar checklist for them to work on in the offseason. Among them, RM said KC (similar to KM) needs the weights and to improve his outside shot (I wondered why he didn't sit down - maybe he did - with KC and the other Freshman as well). But then I found it interesting when RM noted that, this summer, KC will NOT be playing baseball - sounded like his first summer ever - but instead will be working on his basketball game/weights all summer. With this time all Spring, Summer and Fall, and with the knowledge about what it takes to succeed in the college game and with experience gained from this year's season, RM hopes for great improvement. So do I!!

Sorry for the rambling post - but I typed it the way RM said things on the radio!! :lol:

-what i heard rick say 2 things on this - 1-he will meet with all of the returning players within 3 days of the end of the season and the player will receive direction on what to work with their game on until practice starts, and 2-he will visit the incoming frosh and give them direction on what they need to work on before practice starts, same as did last year in visiting the current frosh and instructing KM on shooting. he mentioned the kids from oz and i am not sure if he said he was going there or not, he mentioned money and time but i could not hear exactly what he said

-what i heard rick say 2 things on this - 1-he will meet with all of the returning players within 3 days of the end of the season and the player will receive direction on what to work with their game on until practice starts, and 2-he will visit the incoming frosh and give them direction on what they need to work on before practice starts, same as did last year in visiting the current frosh and instructing KM on shooting. he mentioned the kids from oz and i am not sure if he said he was going there or not, he mentioned money and time but i could not hear exactly what he said

Could someone be kind enough to inform me:

How much contact does Majerus and/or anyone involved with SLU basketball have with the players between April and September?

The way these statements are made seems to hint that the answer is minimal (give them a checklist and wish them good luck), which doesn't make a whole lot of sense given the amount of time and energy which a program invests in every one of its players. Please provide any insight you may have.

Could someone be kind enough to inform me:

How much contact does Majerus and/or anyone involved with SLU basketball have with the players between April and September?

The way these statements are made seems to hint that the answer is minimal (give them a checklist and wish them good luck), which doesn't make a whole lot of sense given the amount of time and energy which a program invests in every one of its players. Please provide any insight you may have.

-rick talked about this as well on monday as there is an ncaa imposed limit on coaching time after one season ends until practice for the next season begins

-he mentioned what the limit was and it was something with 2 hours and i think he said it is 2 hours per player per week and that was from all coaches (2 hours not 2hours times 4 coaches = 8 hours), but this very easily could be incorrect and if some knows for sure would like to see it

-he also said he expects the aussies to get on campus in mid august as once they get here it will be tough for them to go back home and they are playing in a tourney (world jr's??) in new z in july sometime

-i guess if you make a national team you get an exemption to the coaching limits???