Kevin gets 3rd Team All American

SluSignGuy

Kevin Lisch Earns Academic All-America Honors

Joins sister, Theresa, in earning distinction

Feb. 25, 2009

Saint Louis University senior guard Kevin Lisch (Belleville, Ill. / Althoff) has been selected to the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America men's basketball third team by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). Earlier this week, Kevin's sister, Theresa, was a women's basketball first-team Academic All-America selection, marking the first time that a brother-sister tandem have earned the distinction in the same year at the same school.

Lisch has already earned his degree in business administration and is enrolled in the University's M.B.A. program. This season, he leads the team and ranks 11th in the Atlantic 10 Conference in scoring at 14.1 ppg. Lisch is second in free-throw shooting at 83.1 percent, eighth in 3-point field goals made per game at 2.31 and 10th in 3-point field goal percentage at 39.7. He is sixth on SLU's career scoring list with 1,617 points, second in 3-pointers made with 248, eighth in steals with 127 and ninth in assists with 313. Lisch was selected to the 2007-08 A-10 Academic All-Conference team. He was a third-team All-Conference and an All-Defensive team choice as a junior.

To be eligible for the award, a student-athlete must be a starter or an important reserve with at least a 3.30 cumulative grade point average and must be at least a sophomore in academic standing. Lisch becomes the sixth Billiken to earn Academic All-America honors, following Scott Highmark (1993-94; 1994-95), Ted Mimlitz (1985-86), Gary Lamps (1971-72), Rich Niemann (1967-68) and John Kilo (1966-67).

2008-09 ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America Third Team

Patrick Foley, Columbia, Jr., Blue Point, N.Y., Political Science

David Kool, Western Michigan, Grand Rapids, Mich., Physical Education

Kevin Lisch, Saint Louis, Grad., Belleville, Ill., Business Administration - MBA

Greg Paulus, Duke, Sr., Syracuse, N.Y., Political Science

Andy Wicke, Belmont, Sr., Hendersonville, Tenn., Envornmental Studies

This is truly great news and Kevin exemplifies what I believe SLU student athletes should aspire to. Congratulations to Kevin!

On a rather glum day in billiken land, can we notice that the glass is half full?

Yeah, I guess... (harumphy voice) It'd be a lot more full if he'd go for 30 next game.

This is truly great news and Kevin exemplifies what I believe SLU student athletes should aspire to. Congratulations to Kevin!

On a rather glum day in billiken land, can we notice that the glass is half full?

How do they choose who gets 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team? Is it based on GPA, performance on the floor, or some matrix of both? Because as much as I like to be a glass half-full kind of guy, he's a 4.0 student who will have graduated with his MBA in 4 years. He's first team when it comes to just the academic side; I'd be interested to see what the guys on the first two teams can claim that makes them more qualified.

How do they choose who gets 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team? Is it based on GPA, performance on the floor, or some matrix of both? Because as much as I like to be a glass half-full kind of guy, he's a 4.0 student who will have graduated with his MBA in 4 years. He's first team when it comes to just the academic side; I'd be interested to see what the guys on the first two teams can claim that makes them more qualified.

Complete list below...I agree Kevin did well, but you can't really argue with the folks above him. Congrats to both Lisch kids!

FIRST TEAM

Name School Dist. Yr. Hometown GPA/Major

Jason Holsinger Evansville V Sr. Lapel, Ind. 3.89/ Economics

Aaron Linn Gardner-Webb III Sr. Lenexa, Kan. 4.00/ Finance

Bryan Mullins (2) Southern Illinois V Sr. Downers Grove, Ill. 4.00/ Finance

Alex Ruoff (3) West Virginia II Sr. Spring Hill, Fla. 3.79/ History

Brett Winkelman (1) $ North Dakota State VII Sr. Morris, Minn. 3.88/ Ind. Engineering & Mgmnt

SECOND TEAM

Jimmy Baron Rhode Island I Sr. E. Greenwich, R.I. 3.42/ Communications

Matt Howard Butler V So. Connersville, Ind. 3.72/ Finance

Yves Mekongo Mbala La Salle II Jr. Elizabeth, N.J. 3.82/ Int. Science, Business & Tech.

Mike Schachtner (2) # Wisconsin Green Bay V Sr. Somerset, Wis. 3.81/ Psychology

Ryan Schneider Marist I Sr. Yorktown Hts., N.Y. 3.72/ Communications/Sports Comm.

THIRD TEAM

Patrick Foley Columbia I Jr. Blue Point, N.Y. 3.81/ Political Science

David Kool Western Michigan IV Jr. Grand Rapids, Mich. 3.38/ Physical Education

Kevin Lisch Saint Louis VII Gr. Belleville, Ill. 3.48/ Business Admin. (MBA)

Greg Paulus Duke III Sr. Syracuse, N.Y. 3.35/ Political Science

Andy Wicke Belmont IV Sr. Hendersonville, Tenn. 3.74/ Environmental Studies

Complete list below...I agree Kevin did well, but you can't really argue with the folks above him. Congrats to both Lisch kids!

FIRST TEAM

Jason Holsinger Evansville V Sr. Lapel, Ind. 3.89/ Economics

Aaron Linn Gardner-Webb III Sr. Lenexa, Kan. 4.00/ Finance

Bryan Mullins (2) Southern Illinois V Sr. Downers Grove, Ill. 4.00/ Finance

Alex Ruoff (3) West Virginia II Sr. Spring Hill, Fla. 3.79/ History

Brett Winkelman (1) $ North Dakota State VII Sr. Morris, Minn. 3.88/ Ind. Engineering & Mgmnt

SECOND TEAM

Jimmy Baron Rhode Island I Sr. E. Greenwich, R.I. 3.42/ Communications

Matt Howard Butler V So. Connersville, Ind. 3.72/ Finance

Yves Mekongo Mbala La Salle II Jr. Elizabeth, N.J. 3.82/ Int. Science, Business & Tech.

Mike Schachtner (2) # Wisconsin Green Bay V Sr. Somerset, Wis. 3.81/ Psychology

Ryan Schneider Marist I Sr. Yorktown Hts., N.Y. 3.72/ Communications/Sports Comm.

THIRD TEAM

Patrick Foley Columbia I Jr. Blue Point, N.Y. 3.81/ Political Science

David Kool Western Michigan IV Jr. Grand Rapids, Mich. 3.38/ Physical Education

Kevin Lisch Saint Louis VII Gr. Belleville, Ill. 3.48/ Business Admin. (MBA)

Greg Paulus Duke III Sr. Syracuse, N.Y. 3.35/ Political Science

Andy Wicke Belmont IV Sr. Hendersonville, Tenn. 3.74/ Environmental Studies

Anyone else notice that all but one of those guys is white? I'm just sayin'....

Anyone else notice that all but one of those guys is white? I'm just sayin'....

I figured that one out by the names alone...

Jason

Aaron

Bryan

Alex

Brett

Jimmy

Matt

Yves

Mike

Ryan

Patrick

David

Kevin

Greg

Andy

Which one doesn't belong???

Also, how does David Kool make 3rd team as a PE major w/ a 3.38? Are the good basketball players that stupid on average? I mean there's almost 4,000 D1 men's college basketball players out there...