The RPI is a joke!

This is not a direct comment about our Bills but I was looking at teh RPI this morning and found out the following:

So. Ill is listed as ranked as 18th--this is a team that is 0-1 against top 50 teams--even our Bills have beaten 3 top 50 teams!

But a team like Ga. Tech who has 4 wins against top 25 teams--including Duke and Conn. and 4 more wins against top 50 teams is ranked 19th. Does anyone seriously believe that SIUC is better than GT?

The same is true with Cinn. a team with 4 wins over top 25. does anyone think that SIUC is better than Cinn. Yet they are 4 spots behind in the RPI.

There are numerous other examples like Wisconsin, North Carolina State, etc.

this puts to rest the issue of playing strong teams with high RPI. SIUC has played only one team in the top 50 and they are in the top 20 of the RPI!!

with thier SOS any loss they have is going to cause their RPI to drop much more than if they had loisvilles record and SOS. Look at Louisville, they had lost 4 of five games, but i think their RPI rank only fell to as low as about 20 they are now 14 with two straight wins.

I think you also miss the point of the RPI. It is not a stat that says which team is the better team. Rather which team has had a better season given the different types of schedules teams have played.

In all honesty I cannot compare SIUC to GT because I have not seen SIU play. I would say I am impressed they almost went undefeated in conference. Moreover, if you look at their record yes they have played one team with RPI <50 but 6 teams with an RPI 50-75....a win for a few of these teams may well make them top 50.....

The most talented teams do not always win, the teams that play well do. Otherwise the Marlins would not have won the WS.....twice....

i wont say they definitely better than the likes of cincy or georgia tech, but i wont bet on siu to lose either. siu guards are top notch and the inside players do good enough to rebound and defend to keep them there. it wouldnt surprise me to see the saluki's in the sweet 16.

btw, on frank's frankly speaking today, doug woolard said that siu and the billikens have agreed on a new series contract. however he said that the southwest series has not been renewed or cancelled yet. that is too be decided when the season is over.

according to doug, a lot of this next schedule is about forsight of what the a-10 will want the next year. the problem being how many 1-10 conference games will there be? if there is 18, then the billikens will have to cancel a couple of non-conference games. thus they dont want to get into too many contracts for extended series that would then put them in a difficult position the following season.

i say dump two of the buy games and get sms signed up.

Why not start a little early, and play an A-10 (in addition to Dayton) team next year. You know, just as a preview of what is to come? I am bias on what team I want SLU to play by, if they even played Xavier or something, it would be good.

Steve