MLS Soccer Draft

courtside

Congratulations to SLU Senior Dado Hamzagic for being drafted in the MLS professional soccer draft's 2nd round by the New England Revolution.

That caught me completely off-guard. I thought, "Uhm, some other guy named Hamzagic.....wait....Saint Louis U...its Dado????" Wonder what the story is behind that pick?

That caught me completely off-guard. I thought, "Uhm, some other guy named Hamzagic.....wait....Saint Louis U...its Dado????" Wonder what the story is behind that pick?

I'm surprised Calum hasn't been picked. Dado surprises me, but the others not being selected yet doesn't.

I'm surprised Calum hasn't been picked. Dado surprises me, but the others not being selected yet doesn't.

The MLS has a rule where only certain number of international roster spots are available (not sure exactly how many) and without the flexibility that Reserve squads from years past offer clubs, it would be tough to draft an international player (non-US citizen) unless you know he will contribute immediately.

It is unfortunate as I believe that Calum and Kyle are very capable of playing in the MLS. At this point they are almost better off not being drafted so they can shop their services to every team as a free agent and potential injury replacement - as opposed to being one of the final players cut from a spring roster.

Good luck to all the guys. I am extremely happy for Dado! He had tough breaks this year with injuries and hopefully he shines in the league.

Colleges with Multiple Drafted

Wake Forest University 6

University of Maryland 4

Saint Louis University 3

Duke University 2

Indiana University 2

University of Connecticut 2

University of Michigan 2

University of Tulsa 2

University of Washington 2

By Position

D 15

M 17

F 14

M/F 8

GK 5

Colleges with Multiple Drafted

Wake Forest University 6

University of Maryland 4

Saint Louis University 3

Duke University 2

Indiana University 2

University of Connecticut 2

University of Michigan 2

University of Tulsa 2

University of Washington 2

By Position

D 15

M 17

F 14

M/F 8

GK 5

Congrats to all SLU players chosen...

Guess the experts were wrong with Brandon Barklage, and unfortunately Calum. Given the new rules, I suspect both players will end up with a USL team. Shame the developmental rosters were reduced (although who could have lived on the pay?).

I'll also offer congrats to ND's Jack Traynor (/Francis Howell North).