OT - 2 SLU opponents open regular season today.

saluki762

Tuesday, Nov. 11

Arkansas-Monticello vs. Massachusetts, 5 p.m.

California (Pa.) vs. SIU, 7:30 p.m.

If SIU and UMass take care of their 1st round opponents they face each other in round two. A chance for the Bills to see what two future opponents look like early in the season.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UMass 90 --- Arkansas-Monticello 71: Ricky Harris led the way with 22 points and Chris Lowe added 18 with 11 assists. tony Gaffney threw down 16 to go with 13 boards and Andy Gurley, the third guard in Umass's three guard attack added 14. The fifth started is Luke Bonner, who I recall as a stiff last year. Absolutely nothing exciting in terms of bench support so Umass' early indication is as a four-man tema with three guards and the Bonner stiff.

Southern Illinois 66 --- California (Pa,) 52: Tied at half at 25. SIU shot 41% from the field, 33% from the three and 44% from the line. Carlton Fay led the way with 16 points and 11 rebounds. Torres Roundtree started at guard and got 13 minutes but didn't put up a shot and had one rebound, one assist and two fouls. Anthony Booker bested Roundtree by one whole minute of playing time and ended with seven points on 3-fo-8 shoorting from the field, and 4 each -- rebounds and fouls. California is from western Pennsylvania and is in a DII league (I thnk) with the likes of Kutztown, Cheyney, Bloomsburg, Clarion and Lock Haven.

I think its pretty serious sh*t when you play one team at your place in Amherst one night, and then jet off to a middle-of-nowhere place (Carbondale) to play the next night. Before I get jumped on that "crack" about Carbondale, other places would be considered the same way ----- Tuscaloosa, Spokane, Reno, Olean --- places that are somewhat harder to get to than just a plane into that particular city. One or two planes and then a bus ride as well. Nothing directly against Carbondale but that was my intent.

I guess it showed in the second half as Umass squandered an eleven point halftime lead and got blown out in the second half. Fay again led the way with 17 points. The Umass three-guard attack of Harris, Gurley adn Lowe scored 56 of Umass' 73 points. Luke the Stiff threw up a goose egg in nine minutes. I guess he just couldn't go against SIU. He didn't have a single foul so it must have been a coach's decision to get him out of there. Conversely, Roundtree started again but played only five minutes making one of two shots and recording an assist. No foul trouble and no note of an injury. Booker got 14 minutes and threw up a gooze egg as well ---- but did come away as the leading SIU rebounder with seven. Only 5,500 in the house after an opening night of 7,400 for California (Pa.). Interesting.

I know I'll be watching next Thursday when the Salukis move to MSG and meet Duke. Ought to be interesting. Its only the Bungles and the Squeelers on Thursday Night NFL so I'll go with the college matchup over that easy. And I'm rooting for the Dogs. Just can't seem to root for Puke ---ever.

UMass's first game against Arkansas-Monticello was in Carbondale yesterday as the 1st game of a doubleheader, not in Amhearst.

YOUNG SALUKIS BEAT ATLANTIC TEN BASKETBALL POWER UMASS

The youthful salukis beat a veteran u mass team last night going away. The young salukis had a few jitters in first half and u mass built a 9 to 11 point lead.

Second half the salukis let it out and beat this atlantic ten basketball power (east coast talk) going away.

Next game for the salukis is 8th ranked or higher DUKE, at the basketball icon..MADISON SQUARE GARDEN.

Do not know if dukie dickie v is doing game or not.

This is some SCEDULE to start off this young saluki team. Looking for Illinois native coach K s klinger,sheyer DUKE team to clamp down hard on the young saluki team and get a win here.

Freshman roundtree, who started last night sprained his ankle and left early in first half and did not return.

Also booker off the bench got banged up too.

Mr Illinois Basketball freshman kevin dillard helped lead the charge in the second half. When they learn the tough take no prisoner man to man defense coach L and the salukis play, this young team could be something to reckon with.

Mr Dillard is going to be the next big time star of this tradition rich basketball school. Book it

:) They have had some decent teams in recent years, but surely your last comment is a joke. Thanks for the laugh.

JMO

But you saying a mr basketball freshman is not going to be another great player,have you ever seen him play? In high school??

Or have you seen him play at all???

So you say being a Mr Basketball, esp in the rich rich land of tradition led Illinois basketball players...

NOW THAT IS THE JOKE

RECENT YEARS....RECENT YEARS....

That statement speaks for itself

There have been many many great saluki teams....and great players

Next time do your homework

I said decent and you said great. BIG DIFFERENCE. You have very low standards if you think SIU has had a long list of "great teams and great players." Although the fact you went to SIU indicates that your standards aren't very high. You would think that you would have a long list of NBA players by the way you talk. Where are all these "great players"?

BTW, where were you when middle of the pack A10 team SLU beat one of the top teams in the Valley last year? :)

I said decent and you said great. BIG DIFFERENCE. You have very low standards if you think SIU has had a long list of "great teams and great players." Although the fact you went to SIU indicates that your standards aren't very high. You would think that you would have a long list of NBA players by the way you talk. Where are all these "great players"?

BTW, where were you when middle of the pack A10 team SLU beat one of the top teams in the Valley last year? :)

I think its pretty serious sh*t when you play one team at your place in Amherst one night, and then jet off to a middle-of-nowhere place (Carbondale) to play the next night. Before I get jumped on that "crack" about Carbondale, other places would be considered the same way ----- Tuscaloosa, Spokane, Reno, Olean --- places that are somewhat harder to get to than just a plane into that particular city. One or two planes and then a bus ride as well. Nothing directly against Carbondale but that was my intent.

I guess it showed in the second half as Umass squandered an eleven point halftime lead and got blown out in the second half. Fay again led the way with 17 points. The Umass three-guard attack of Harris, Gurley adn Lowe scored 56 of Umass' 73 points. Luke the Stiff threw up a goose egg in nine minutes. I guess he just couldn't go against SIU. He didn't have a single foul so it must have been a coach's decision to get him out of there. Conversely, Roundtree started again but played only five minutes making one of two shots and recording an assist. No foul trouble and no note of an injury. Booker got 14 minutes and threw up a gooze egg as well ---- but did come away as the leading SIU rebounder with seven. Only 5,500 in the house after an opening night of 7,400 for California (Pa.). Interesting.

I know I'll be watching next Thursday when the Salukis move to MSG and meet Duke. Ought to be interesting. Its only the Bungles and the Squeelers on Thursday Night NFL so I'll go with the college matchup over that easy. And I'm rooting for the Dogs. Just can't seem to root for Puke ---ever.

This is some joke ..............or you are the joke.

Look up your history.

Do not embarrass yourself

Not from carbondale, just a basketball fan. Can see you are the jealous type. WHY?????

Get a life....please

I know the history. Where are the "great players" in the NBA? Where are the "great teams" with Final Four appearances? I am jealous of great teams, but not yours. Not jealous of teams we beat last year.

So you are not from Carbondale and just a basketball fan, yet you are on a SLU bball message board beating the drum for SIU basketball and you are telling somebody else to "get a life"? ... :):):)

Most basketball programs fly charter. Doesnt St louis u also??

When going to carbondale fly in airport I would say is closer that Lambert. Very nice airport and used the college. Sure they take the very short bus trip from there, as most progams do.

All teams have to get to the arena they are playing at

Know flying into lambert is no short drive. And for the scenery that is one of the worst scenery I have ever seen going into a city.....no it is the worst sceneryI have ever been through.Scary actually.

Asked some people in st louis about it.and they say yes it has been the same for years and years.Have never seen so many burnt out areas right on the interstate going to and getting to the arena.

Know when people go to st louis, like Illinois playing in the final four.. or playing missouri....most fly into a airport about 5 minutes from st louis in Illinois. Cannot think of the airport but think it is in a town with an indian name.

Also talked to someone who knew some people from u mass, said u mass was there for two games.

Heard the head coach and players raved about the area.

Know they said it was beautiful country..reminded the coach of some areas in their area.

Even the small drive to the campus the players were raving about the area and the lakes.

Also heard they went to garden of the gods which is some more beautiful country. Also some of the many many lakes in the area....and might of even stayed on the lake on campus.

Also Giant city state park......heard the players all fell in love with the area.

Do know for a fact that they were treated very well and had a great time.....except for the loss I am sure.

You saying oleans and places like that......How do you do that?? Flying to different airports and getting on buses for long drives like that must really suck for st. louis u.

I know the history. Where are the "great players" in the NBA? Where are the "great teams" with Final Four appearances? I am jealous of great teams, but not yours. Not jealous of teams we beat last year.

So you are not from Carbondale and just a basketball fan, yet you are on a SLU bball message board beating the drum for SIU basketball and you are telling somebody else to "get a life"? ... :):):)

This guy is unreal.

Guess he doesnt know st u got is in the same conference that u mass is in.

It has only been a couple years now.

Dont get so stressed dude

st louis u has some good freshman too.....if they get some good coaching they should be a good ball team.

I love peanut butter M&Ms. I almost ate an entire large bag of them the other day.

I like plain and peanut M&Ms too, but the peanut butter ones are really good.

This is some joke ..............or you are the joke.

Look up your history.

Do not embarrass yourself

Not from carbondale, just a basketball fan. Can see you are the jealous type. WHY?????

Get a life....please

this is a stunning post. is there anyway we can find out what billiken fan physically made this guy post on our board? that would likely be a felony in most states.

Back to the real reason I posted this in the beginning.

UMass - Looks like they can score the ball. Cannot play a lick of D.

SIU - Could be scary good this year. Will definitely lose some some games they should win however, 1st half showed that. With Mullins and Dillard running the point, we have something special there. 46 pts, 36 assists, 11 turnovers through the 1st 2 games. Need better post play. Fay is starting to look like the player SIU fans thought he would be last year.

Roundtree did leave last nights game with an ankle injury.

I really cannot wait for the game on 12/02.

No offense, but this was the single worst bit of analysis based on a box score that I've ever seen. :) Your assumptions were pretty much entirely wrong. We appreciate your support in our game against Duke though. :) Looking forward to seeing how SLU's new class matches up with ours. I expect both teams will have the ups and downs associated with youth. Good luck in the coming season.