Game Times

I noticed that SLU has 6 Saturday home games on the schedule. Does anyone know if they've announced the starting time for these games? I'm assuming they'll all be night games, but I wanted to check.

I also noticed two Friday games and a Sunday game. I'm not really sure why this was done. The sunday game is a conference game, so maybe that dictated the dates.

I noticed that SLU has 6 Saturday home games on the schedule. Does anyone know if they've announced the starting time for these games? I'm assuming they'll all be night games, but I wanted to check.

I also noticed two Friday games and a Sunday game. I'm not really sure why this was done. The sunday game is a conference game, so maybe that dictated the dates.

Most A-10 sunday games are TV games

There has been no announcement of a television deal, and if I remember correctly, we don't officially have a radio deal in place either. Last year's arrangement was for one year

KFNS would be the logical choice to continue to broadcast the games, but if you have been following the local sports radio scene, they aren't exactly in great financial shape and who knows if they'll continue to be around after December.

There has been no announcement of a television deal, and if I remember correctly, we don't officially have a radio deal in place either. Last year's arrangement was for one year

KFNS would be the logical choice to continue to broadcast the games, but if you have been following the local sports radio scene, they aren't exactly in great financial shape and who knows if they'll continue to be around after December.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but how can it be September 1 and there is no TV or radio deal? SLU has spent $80 million on a new arena and are paying a coach a million bucks. Who is responsible for marketing the program at SLU? Maybe it's time RM did the Mr. Congeniality routine for a few months with the local media. I'm hoping something is in the works here, and we just don't know about it.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but how can it be September 1 and there is no TV or radio deal?

Pretty easily, we didn't get a tv deal until NOVEMBER last season.

See below for last year's tv deal announcement:

Six National Games among 13 Billiken TV Appearances

CW11/KPLR Partners with SLU locally; CCIN to air Pittsburgh game on Sunday

Nov. 8, 2007

2007-08 Schedule

The Saint Louis University department of athletics today announced that at least 13 Billiken men's games will be available to fans in the St. Louis television market. The Billikens are scheduled for six appearances on national television, including three games on CSTV and three on the ESPN family of networks. Locally, CW11/KPLR will air six games, three of which are being produced by CSTV Regional, in the metro St. Louis area. In addition, Charter Communications (CCIN) has agreed to televise the Saint Louis-Pittsburgh game this Sunday, Nov. 11, at 5 p.m. (CT).

The Billikens first national appearance is the Southern Illinois game on Sat., Dec. 15, which will be televised on ESPNU. The Billikens host Xavier on Thu., Feb. 7, in an ESPN or ESPN2 game. SLU's game at Saint Joseph's on Thu., Feb. 28, will also air on either ESPN or ESPN2. The Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament final will be broadcast on ESPN on Sat., March 15.

The Billikens make the first of three appearances on CSTV when they travel to George Washington for the A-10 regular-season opener on Thu., Jan. 10. The home contest on Thu., Jan. 17, against Rhode Island also will be televised on CSTV. The Billikens' final CSTV broadcast is at Massachusetts on Sun., Feb. 17.

"We are pleased with the opportunity to continue our working relationship with CW11/KPLR which proved so successful during the 2006-07 season," senior associate director of athletics Doug McIlhagga said. "Combining six national TV exposures through CSTV and ESPN with this local package, we have doubled our TV appearances in the St. Louis market from a year ago. Another highlight is that all but one of our conference road games are coming back to St. Louis."

The CW11/KPLR schedule includes: Sun., Jan. 20 against Temple; Sat., Jan. 26, at La Salle; Sat., Feb. 2, against Massachusetts; Sun., Feb. 10 at Richmond; Sat., Feb. 23, at Charlotte and Sat., March 8, at Duquesne.

"We are very excited to provide Billiken Basketball on free over-the-air television for the second year in a row," CW11/KPLR general manager Bill Lanesey said. "The program is headed to the next level under coach Rick Majerus, and we are proud to be their television partner."

The department of athletics is still actively seeking other outlets to clear additional games in the local television market.

ESPN FAMILY

Dec. 15 Southern Illinois (ESPNU)

Feb. 7 Xavier (ESPN or ESPN2)

Feb. 28 at Saint Joseph's (ESPN or ESPN2)

March 15 A-10 Finals (ESPN)

CSTV

Jan. 10 at George Washington

Jan. 17 Rhode Island

Feb. 17 at Massachusetts

CW11/KPLR

Jan. 20 Temple (CSTV Regional)

Jan. 26 at La Salle

Feb. 2 Massachusetts (CSTV Regional)

Feb. 10 at Richmond

Feb. 23 at Charlotte (CSTV Regional)

March 8 at Duquesne

CCIN

Nov. 11 Pittsburgh

Maybe I'm wrong here, but how can it be September 1 and there is no TV or radio deal? SLU has spent $80 million on a new arena and are paying a coach a million bucks. Who is responsible for marketing the program at SLU? Maybe it's time RM did the Mr. Congeniality routine for a few months with the local media. I'm hoping something is in the works here, and we just don't know about it.

It is out of SLU's hands. CSTV has the right of first refusal for all home games and all conference games. SLU won't even know which games that can sell to a TV outlet until October. It is a terrible situation.

It is out of SLU's hands. CSTV has the right of first refusal for all home games and all conference games. SLU won't even know which games that can sell to a TV outlet until October. It is a terrible situation.

Nark is right on. The previous commissioner killed us with the CSTV deal. We cannot control anything re possible TV games until after CSTV decides what they want to do.

Pretty easily, we didn't get a tv deal until NOVEMBER last season.

See below for last year's tv deal announcement:

Thanks. As I mentioned in the other post, I didn't know the CSTV deal was still in place. No radio yet is kind of tough. IMO SLU isn't doing much to run with the momentum that could be gained from the new building. Let's hope something comes together.

Not trying to damper enthusiasm but who says the CSTV won't be renewed?

Like it or not, the A10 has 14 teams. This contract between the A10 and CSTV is lucrative for most of the schools but is very bad when it comes to exposure for the schools/conference. Believe each school receives $1 million. In exchange, CSTV gets the rights to broadcast but, in reality, has not chosen to broadcast like we (and I believe most/all A10 schools) would like. Hence, less exposure. At the same time, I doubt the lesser schools St. Bonnie, LaSalle and Duquesne are noticing the lack of exposure and/or are losing out on local TV packages like we at SLU are since they most likely did not have great packages before CSTV. Now, at least, they have their share of the money. If I am correct, why would the lesser schools vote to stop the money? In contrast, SLU had a pretty good package (albeit St. Louis area) with Charter and now doesn't under CSTV.

On the other end of the conference, the better schools like XU, Dayton and others cried foul when the CSTV deal was implemented; however, since then, they appear to have improved their local package. Unlike SLU which must compete (and therefore loses out to the Blues and Mizzou), Dayton is the only game in town and can get on their local FOX Sports. Same with XU, because of their history of success and ratings, they are able to be picked up as well. While not 100% pleased, believe some of the better conference schools are making due while cashing their share of the money.

Clearly, CSTV is horrible for SLU. At the same time, not 100% sure if the entire league feels the same.