SLU Ath. Director-a WPP job

bauman

I've heard that our hockey program was fairly popular back in the day - the decision to shut down the program must have been hard on the fans.

Until a few years ago, the largest crowd ever at an NCAA hockey game was a SLU home game, Ohio State, I think. Unfortunately, crowds had fallen off for the final year of the program (there were actually two final years -- in true SLU competent style, they announced they were stopping the program, then changed their mind and tried it for another year. Interesting group of, er, scholar-athletes for that final year.)

I got thrown out of the pressbox after I went down into the stands between periods and sat with my friends, who had brought a sign that said "Dump Dick -- Keep Bill" (McDonald, Selman). Ironically, both those guys ended up working for A-B in sports marketing, just a few desks away from each other.

Completely useless except to be at Majerus beckoned call. Now chasing deficit left by RM hiring and salry bumps of his asst's, figure it out, he ain't doing nothing but helping basketball-and that would be the men's side. He is a smooth-talking politician who knows a little about everything. Trying his damndest to feed Rick's machine, 15 other sports sit around the same.

Completely useless except to be at Majerus beckoned call. Now chasing deficit left by RM hiring and salry bumps of his asst's, figure it out, he ain't doing nothing but helping basketball-and that would be the men's side. He is a smooth-talking politician who knows a little about everything. Trying his damndest to feed Rick's machine, 15 other sports sit around the same.

How long have you worked in the athletic department?

"Beck and call."

Taj and I were the sports editors of the U. News during that period, which clearly accelerated student apathy. :P

We lost hockey because the Blues ended their subsidy of the program.

Oh, and Father O'Connell didn't believe in athletics, or at least he saw it as a fiscal drain at a time when university finances were deteriorating rapidly.

And the most famous thing our AD, Dick McDonald, did was say, "If we just get a few wins under our belts, I think you'll start to see our record improve."

I tend to think Ekker (who, remember, succeeded the immortal Ron Coleman) was less of a cause than a symptom.

If Ekker had remained we would have had trouble filling Baumna-Eberhard for men's basketball games.

Yes, I can see that the lack of track facilities is a problem but we just spent a ton at Chaifetz and the new Chemistry or Research center for the med school at Chouteau and Grand