Meyers Leonard headed to the Illini

They're not signed yet. The fall of 2009 is a long way away.

The fall of 2008 is coming right up, and DJ Richardson, Brandon Paul, Tyler Griffey and Joseph Bertrand will be signing in November. As for the fall of 2009, Crandall Head and Meyers Leonard grew up Illinois fans. It was a given that they were coming to Illinois. Jereme Richmond is the pied piper of the whole group, the first one to commit. Three top 50 kids in 2010, including two top 12 kids.

brian, you can hate on Illinois all you want, but Weber is as clean as they get. The difference is that he is offering earlier and offering Illinois kids not controlled by a street agent.

The fall of 2008 is coming right up, and DJ Richardson, Brandon Paul, Tyler Griffey and Joseph Bertrand will be signing in November. As for the fall of 2009, Crandall Head and Meyers Leonard grew up Illinois fans. It was a given that they were coming to Illinois. Jereme Richmond is the pied piper of the whole group, the first one to commit. Three top 50 kids in 2010, including two top 12 kids.

brian, you can hate on Illinois all you want, but Weber is as clean as they get. The difference is that he is offering earlier and offering Illinois kids not controlled by a street agent.

I am sure it is all good. There has never been a history at Illinois of under the table stuff happening. Oh wait.

I am not saying Weber himself is dirty. I just find it very intresting that a guy that could recruit after making it to the national championship game, can all of sudden become the best recruiter in the country. He has never had the history of being a great recruiter at SIU or at Illinois before this. He was a great coach who found diamonds in the rough.

Guest BillikenReport

I am not saying Weber himself is dirty. I just find it very intresting that a guy that could recruit after making it to the national championship game, can all of sudden become the best recruiter in the country. He has never had the history of being a great recruiter at SIU or at Illinois before this. He was a great coach who found diamonds in the rough.

I've heard from a few parents of Illinois recruiting targets that Weber refuses to do some of the things that other coaches and schools do to get players. This would help explain why Illinois has missed out on several talented players in the Chicago area in recent years who ended up at schools you might not expect.

When you look at Weber's recent run in recruiting, you have to remember they are all basically local kids. It's not like he's pulling top recruits from all over the country and away from schools like North Carolina, Florida or Kansas. Weber is getting kids who are already interested in Illinois to stay home. Getting commitments from one or two key kids has helped them land others, like Tyler Griffey and Meyers Leonard, who could have gone elsewhere.

Now, Illinois will have to make sure they keep all these kids committed all the way till signing day. Then, we'll see if the coaching staff was correct in their evaluations and these kids turn out to be the successful college players that people think they could be.

Brian, did you mean the following?

I am sure it is all good. There has never been a history at Illinois of under the table stuff happening. Oh wait.

I am not saying Weber himself is dirty. I just find it very interesting that a guy who couldn't recruit after making it to the national championship game can all of sudden become the best recruiter in the country. He has never had the history of being a great recruiter at SIU or at Illinois before this. He was a great coach who found diamonds in the rough.

Wait...that's all Bruce Pearl's fault. :)