Temple to the MAC for all sports?

"Will the MAC expand to 14 teams?

Posted by Steven Rosso May 28, 2008 19:46PM

There is a real possibility of the MAC moving to 14 teams in the very near future. According to college basketball insider Andy Katz of ESPN, the MAC is in discussions to bring in Western Kentucky and Temple for all sports. For one thing, this would create a huge conference, one of the biggest in basketball and the biggest in football. This would definitely be nice for football, as having a 13 team conference makes divisions and scheduling a huge problem. Both Western Kentucky and Temple are getting stronger in football, and are both pretty good in basketball already. This would seem to be a winning situation for the MAC.

May 28, ESPN.com The MAC meetings are going on in Chicago, and according to a coach in attendance, there was more talk about expanding the league to 14 teams with adding Temple (Atlantic 10 for all sports but football) and Western Kentucky (Sun Belt) as full members. Temple plays a MAC schedule in football and has added MAC nonconference games for basketball. This kind of decision would be made for football, but if they did ever join the league in hoops, it would make this league even tougher and potentially put it in position to earn multiple bids (which hasn't happened since 1999)."

http://blog.mlive.com/fireupchips/2008/05/...to_14_team.html

If they do leave I hope we bring in someone like Butler to help bridge the gap between us and the rest of the A10.

If they do leave I hope we bring in someone like Butler to help bridge the gap between us and the rest of the A10.

Why not go for Bradley and Butler and get rid of LaSalle they could go to the Patriot League

Why not go for Bradley and Butler and get rid of LaSalle they could go to the Patriot League

Suggestion: Valpo and Butler then go to divisions: western division (Xavier, Dayton, SLU, Butler, Valpo, Duquesne).

Instead of Bradley, the ideal one would be Creighton.

LaSalle and/or St Bona would be my choice to get rid of. Instead of the Patriot, I think both would do better in the MAAC. Both schools would have some nice rivalries in the MAAC. St Bona already plays Canisius and Niagara annually. LaSalle could develop a nice rivalry with St Peter's and Iona. If I am not mistaken, the Patriot Conference does not give athletic scholarships.

"Will the MAC expand to 14 teams?

Posted by Steven Rosso May 28, 2008 19:46PM

There is a real possibility of the MAC moving to 14 teams in the very near future. According to college basketball insider Andy Katz of ESPN, the MAC is in discussions to bring in Western Kentucky and Temple for all sports. For one thing, this would create a huge conference, one of the biggest in basketball and the biggest in football. This would definitely be nice for football, as having a 13 team conference makes divisions and scheduling a huge problem. Both Western Kentucky and Temple are getting stronger in football, and are both pretty good in basketball already. This would seem to be a winning situation for the MAC.

May 28, ESPN.com The MAC meetings are going on in Chicago, and according to a coach in attendance, there was more talk about expanding the league to 14 teams with adding Temple (Atlantic 10 for all sports but football) and Western Kentucky (Sun Belt) as full members. Temple plays a MAC schedule in football and has added MAC nonconference games for basketball. This kind of decision would be made for football, but if they did ever join the league in hoops, it would make this league even tougher and potentially put it in position to earn multiple bids (which hasn't happened since 1999)."

Does Butler have much to gain? They get to the big dance almost every year. Besides, for a lot of reasons Butler might have been a better choice when SLU came on board a couple of years ago (closer geographically, better recent success, etc.). Butler didn't pursue it then. Why would they now?

LaSalle and/or St Bona would be my choice to get rid of. Instead of the Patriot, I think both would do better in the MAAC. Both schools would have some nice rivalries in the MAAC. St Bona already plays Canisius and Niagara annually. LaSalle could develop a nice rivalry with St Peter's and Iona. If I am not mistaken, the Patriot Conference does not give athletic scholarships.

I think it's funny that SLU has been in the A10 for a couple of years now and our fans keep trying to get schools booted from the conference while hoping and praying that Marquette and DePaul will want to re-align with us. Why should the conference accommodate SLU if they think SLU will bolt at the first opportunity?

I think it's funny that SLU has been in the A10 for a couple of years now and our fans keep trying to get schools booted from the conference while hoping and praying that Marquette and DePaul will want to re-align with us. Why should the conference accommodate SLU if they think SLU will bolt at the first opportunity?

I don't know, intuition tells me we may be in the A10 for awhile. Also, if we got a Bradley and a Creighton to replace St Bona and LaSalle and had a East/West conference make-up similar to the SEC, why would want to leave. :rolleyes:

I don't know, intuition tells me we may be in the A10 for awhile. Also, if we got a Bradley and a Creighton to replace St Bona and LaSalle and had a East/West conference make-up similar to the SEC, why would want to leave. :rolleyes:

I agree that SLU will probably spend at least several years in the A10. How are "we" going to kick two schools out of this league and convince Creighton and Bradley to join? It might sound pretty good to us, but it also has to sound good to a lot of other schools.

I agree that SLU will probably spend at least several years in the A10. How are "we" going to kick two schools out of this league and convince Creighton and Bradley to join? It might sound pretty good to us, but it also has to sound good to a lot of other schools.

I have a hard time believing that the old guard of the conference will want to move that far west with any new members to get two games their fans won't come to the arena to see. The philly five could care less about playing Creighton or Bradley.

I have a hard time believing that the old guard of the conference will want to move that far west with any new members to get two games their fans won't come to the arena to see. The philly five could care less about playing Creighton or Bradley.

Guys, look at a map. Omaha is impossibly far to the west for the A10. St. Louis is impossibly far to the west for the A10 as it stands and you want to go another 350 miles to the northwest? Creighton is wonderful in every respect (was a Blue Jay in undergrad) but it's just way, way too far out of in the western cornfields for membership in the A10.

Butler has repetedly resisted overtures to join the Valley, they are very happy in the Horizon and do not have the overall athletic budget (or interest in increasing it) to move up to a different conference.

The idea of a new school to the conference leading a charge to kick out a charter member (St. Bona) and a long-time member (who has been rather successful recently) in Lasalle is laughable and reeks of undeserved arrogance. Aren't we 0-2 against St. Bona? Plus, the MAAC is not interested in expanding.

Also, the Patriot League does give scholarships, Holy Cross demanded it when they joined. Not every school gives them and some don't give the full amount, but the days to John Feinstein's book are long gone.

, but the days to John Feinstein's book are long gone.

Could you please explain what this means? Maybe I've lived in the Midwest too long but this escapes me.

, but the days to John Feinstein's book are long gone.

Could you please explain what this means? Maybe I've lived in the Midwest too long but this escapes me.

Not Marq_Law, but Feinstein wrote The Last Amateurs about the Patriot conference, and at the time the conference's schools did not award scholarships.

The idea of a new school to the conference leading a charge to kick out a charter member (St. Bona) and a long-time member (who has been rather successful recently) in Lasalle is laughable and reeks of undeserved arrogance. Aren't we 0-2 against St. Bona? Plus, the MAAC is not interested in expanding.

I don't know, you may call it arrogance but the A10 ridding itself of LaSalle and St Bona and adding schools like Bradley, Butler and/or a Creighton would not only help SLU but strengthen the conference. The A10 needs more strong BBall schools in the west and I think this maybe the answer to conference affiliation difficulties. Chances of getting into the BE are slim, I don't like the MVC for us and the idea of a Papal Conference will never sell.

For those who say Creighton is too far west, look at the BE. At one time it stretched from ND to Boston College to Miami. Our old CUSA stretched from Marquette to ECU to So FL to Houston.

Also Law, aren't we 2-0 against St Joe's the last 2 years? Are we better then St Joe's? Also, I would never advocate for St. Joe's to leave the A10. :(

If we're going to start kicking teams from the conference, Fordham should be at the top of any list of schools to bid farewell too. While the Bonnies have been horrible as of late (due to NCAA probation back in the early part of the decade), Fordham has been worse in my opinion.

We should just accept the fact that we are in a crappy conference instead of advocating for the ouster of any of the schools. I couldn't imagine any school leaving the Valley for the A-10 at this point in time - Creighton and Bradley are perfectly happy where they are.

Oh, and we're 1-2 against Bonawelding since joining the A-10, not 0-2.

We should just accept the fact that we are in a crappy conference instead of advocating for the ouster of any of the schools. I couldn't imagine any school leaving the Valley for the A-10 at this point in time - Creighton and Bradley are perfectly happy where they are.

Oh, and we're 1-2 against Bonawelding since joining the A-10, not 0-2.

Correct:

03/01/08 BONA 70 SLU 50

01/03/07 SLU 69 BONA 74

01/03/06 BONA 58 SLU 60

11/30/02 BONA 54 SLU 56

01/03/01 BONA 63 SLU 76

If we're going to start kicking teams from the conference, Fordham should be at the top of any list of schools to bid farewell too. While the Bonnies have been horrible as of late (due to NCAA probation back in the early part of the decade), Fordham has been worse in my opinion.

Just getting to St Bona is such an ordeal. :( Nearest airport (Pittsburgh or Buffalo) is about 3-4 hours away. Wait till Rick has that trip this winter. I can hear him moaning on the his radio show now. If that game is scheduled mid-week it can eat up 3 days of school/practice just of travel and game day.

Just getting to St Bona is such an ordeal. :( Nearest airport (Pittsburgh or Buffalo) is about 3-4 hours away. Wait till Rick has that trip this winter. I can hear him moaning on the his radio show now. If that game is scheduled mid-week it can eat up 3 days of school/practice just of travel and game day.

Maybe before the team chartered all its mid-week games, but they will spend 1 night there and fly home after the game.

However, Coach probably won't like the lodging and the food choices in Olean.

Maybe before the team chartered all its mid-week games, but they will spend 1 night there and fly home after the game.

However, Coach probably won't like the lodging and the food choices in Olean.

Who could forget the win vs St. Bona at Rochester....DD with 2 late 3's and Sloan seals it at the line

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-bask.../113002aaa.html