Back from the game

kshoe

Let me start by saying the SLU fans at the game were incredible. I'd estimate around 300-400 fans were there, including the Blue Crew which stood the entire game and made a bunch of noise. Awesome. At halftime a Depaul fan complimented us on having so many people there. I truly believe the fans that attended made a difference.

I thought Brad coached a great game. I disagreed with bringing Ross in but that was clearly the difference in the game and Brad deserves credit for the call. The other thing he did was tell the guys to stop driving to the hole as much and just start shooting threes. Andre Brown had an unbelievable 1st half (I don't have the stats but I'd guess over 5 blocked shots) but the new strategy essentially elminated his precense. Great job by Brad and the coaching staff.

Most of all, the players were great. Reggie was incredible, Drejaj kept us in the game in the 1st half and had some huge plays in the 2nd half and of course Varner was great. Most impressive was his defense on Brown but the threes and the clutch free-throws were critcal. All of the guys deserve credit for the fts at the end and this was a great team win. Congrats to the boys and lets keep the shooting goig on Wed.

Those that claim that the Billikens play boring basketball (see Marquette board) must not have seen that second half today. The Billikens scored 50 points in the second half and shot 12-17 from three point land for the game. SLU was positively on fire in that second half. That was a great victory over a sizzling hot and talented DePaul team.

Since when is playing tough defense and doing what you have to do to win give the talent you have boring?

These references to the Billikens on the Marquette board are fascinating. Perhaps some of the venom stems from Coach Soderberg previously being at Wisconsin. Coach Soderberg is doing a great, great job coaching our Billikens. Frankly, I do not think SLU's talent is as thin as some claim. If we had an Anthony Bonner type at power forward, we would at least be a top 40 team. But it is fun to watch these guys play nonetheless. This is written by an alumnus whose 4 undergraduate years at SLU coincided with the "Ron Ekker Era."