Maintaining student enthusiasm

bonwich

There is really no such place...Wackadoo's should be the place, but they are so difficult to deal with Blue Crew has stopped patronizing them. They have a projection big screen, its on campus, and they have a bar, but they are so poor at managing the place, not to mention serving the food, that a lot of people have stopped going there. I know KSLU, the campus radio station, has also stopped using them. This is something I personally would like to see- a place where students can watch the away games with other fans. In fact, if I managed Wackadoo's I'd market this and try to start a watching party...theyre just not that bright though. Unfortunate...

Now, let me get this straight. We have a brand-new, $22M student center. Wackadoos is in this center and thus is probably run directly by the University or is run under a license from the University. And the primary spirit organization for the basketball team is unable to obtain a minimum level of service such that it can gather to watch away games on campus.

Is there something wrong with this picture, or am I simply again on my "vendetta"? (I'd also be interested in knowing whether 1) whether there are any other facilities on campus where a big screen either exists or could be wheeled in; 2) whether the U. has negotiated with Charter to ensure that games can be viewed on campus.

Over and above that, having the Blue Crew watch games is all well and good, but wouldn't it make sense to have a regular gathering spot for *all* on-campus folks who wanted to get together to watch away games?

Good point. Why have a facility if it isn't student friendly?

Of course, there are two sides to every story. I think Box and Won mentioned an Young Alumni Club event to watch a game at Wackadoos is coming up next week. I wonder how the arrangements for that were handled.

Wackadoos is actually a pretty nice place, lots of tables and chairs, big television nice size bar, but then again, the Titantic was a nice ship. It has to be well run and avoid the icebergs to achieve its objective.

Has this problem been brought to the attention of anyone higher up? If so, what was the response? I will probably try to attend the event for the Young Alumni Association, even at my advanced age. I guess we will get a firsthand view of how it works, then I will feel more comfortable being critical or questioning the problem more.

It was nice to meet you the other night, AlumniFan. I'm interested to see how smoothly the Young Alumni event goes in light of what BlueCrewPres has told us.

It's surprising to me that Wackadoo's wouldn't bend over backwards for the Blue Crew and anyone else who wants to watch a game there. Shouldn't the operators of the new and improved Busch Center want the revenue-generating operations to bring in as much cash as possible?

In theory, Wackadoo's would be the ideal place for students to gather, but if that's not the case, what are the other options? Could huge projection screens, pizza, beer, etc. be brought into the West Pine Gym for game viewing parties?

before we had our little board grouping for the marquette game, (which btw was a horrible location and setting. we couldnt have been treated much worse) i e-mailed a contact in the athletic dept and suggested that they hold the event somewhere in the busch center. suggested the big screen, refreshments, snacks etc and a great opportunity to solicit new billiken club members. i was told that the main athletic dept people were all going to the game in milwaukee thus more or less no one could host such an event. talk about wasted opportunity.

SGA elections take place on Monday and one of the big issues is the BSC. While the building is definitely new and modern looking, the consensus among students is pretty much that it is more of a conference center for the administration than a student center, which is problematic considering the name of the building is Busch STUDENT Center, not Busch Conference Center.

The old Busch Center had a Chick-fil-a, Starbucks, as well as I believe a Pizza Hut. The new BSC has Wackadoo's(which I do go to sometimes), Au Bon Pain(like a Bread Co.), and the Grand Market (which I'm convinced is only open about 4-5 hours a day).

Very frustrating. And disappointing.

Maybe we should organize an game-watching event at Wackadoo's ourselves instead of relying on the athletic department. If we were to work with say, the office of alumni relations and the SGA, perhaps we could put on a fun and successful event.

I feel the same way as you do on the BSC. It feels more like a conference center than a student union. Typical Biondi not being concerned about what is best for students and instead building something too nice for students and just to impress outsiders. Plus, Wacakadoo's while a cool place to hang, is a JOKE in that it takes forever to get food there. The U should do a lot more events at that place - could be THE student place to go for games, concerts, etc.