Conspiracy Theory

bg

Wouldn't it be interesting if a couple of the kids who are said to be leaving the program ended up transfering to WIU? That announcement might be followed by a release of Josh Harrelson from his "obligation"?

I have absolutely no knowledge of anything along these lines happening, but I do love conspiracy theories.............

Athletic scholarships are one-year renewables. I don't think Josh is going to sign another letter of intent with Western. So that will lapse. I woudl think that whenever schools renew scholarships, all other things revert back to square one. A LOI has a one-year shelf life, I think. If Harrison qualified out of high school, he's free to leave SWIC and go where he wants. If he didn't qualify, he has to complete two years at the JUCO and get an associate's degre before moving on. Then, if he moves on, the courses he took at SWIC have to be transferrable to the secondary school in order to maintain progress in an accredited degree program. If he took 30 hours of welding at SWIC, well, he only has one option ----- the Olean School of Welding at St. Bonaventure.

My mistake. I know that qualifiers out of high school can leave JUCOs after only one year, but I was under the impression that qualifiers who signed LOIs had to either complete two years or receive a release from the school with which they had signed.

Another conspiracy theory shot down!

Athletic scholarships are one-year renewables. I don't think Josh is going to sign another letter of intent with Western. So that will lapse. I woudl think that whenever schools renew scholarships, all other things revert back to square one. A LOI has a one-year shelf life, I think. If Harrison qualified out of high school, he's free to leave SWIC and go where he wants. If he didn't qualify, he has to complete two years at the JUCO and get an associate's degre before moving on. Then, if he moves on, the courses he took at SWIC have to be transferrable to the secondary school in order to maintain progress in an accredited degree program. If he took 30 hours of welding at SWIC, well, he only has one option ----- the Olean School of Welding at St. Bonaventure.

Josh has to get a release from Western to be able to play at a four year school next year. If he would have enrolled in a prep school after signing his LOI he would have only had to wait one year, but because he enrolled at a Juco after signing his LOI he has to get his realease or finish two years at the Juco to be eligble to play at a four year school. If he wouldn't have signed at Western and enrolled at SWIC he would have been free to sign with anyone this year. It is a weird rule.

Taj, I think you are technically incorrect on this one. Under obscure NCAA rules, Harrelson (who qualified out of high school) will have to spend another year at juco unless he gets a full release from Western Illinios. To date, It is my understanding that Western hasn't been willing to grant the release.

Taj, I think you are technically incorrect on this one. Under obscure NCAA rules, Harrelson (who qualified out of high school) will have to spend another year at juco unless he gets a full release from Western Illinios. To date, It is my understanding that Western hasn't been willing to grant the release.

and if he'd enrolled and played this year at Western they could now boot him and he'd have to sit a year before playing elsewhere while they immediately fill his spot with no penalty at all.

There is absolutely no way this rule would hold up if challenged, and I doubt the NCAA would want the pros and cons of it discussed at length by the media if it was challenged. If I was Josh's or Adam's or any player who is obligated to sit a year for leaving ... we'd be in court and the rule would go away.