Jimmy McKinney

Mobile-iken

part of $nyder's fault that continues to feed the transfer monster, is that apparently he tells every recruit they will be the #1 option.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming TL is here next year and with Reggie, Meyer, and Drejaj, would we really want to use a scholarship on McKinney in the first place (i.e. Mizzou on probation and McKinney comes next year to play)? I don't think that is where we need help. The PF position is the hole right now especially with Sloan graduating. What am I missing (there's usually something).

http://www.mwsc.edu/griffonnews/oldpages/0...12s_story4.html

Now we know DeSmet and Vashon's history, which is very heated. If Steiner has an ax to grind, it would be with Floyd Irons and Vashon rather than Miles or Hughes. Plus, the quote is attributed to Steiner after his team got thoroughly embarrassed by Vashon.

As for waiting on Johnson a couple of more years, I'll watch intently. I'll do the same with McKinney.

and just to go on record aj, i have not said that mckinney is a bust either. i think he is a typical college sophomore who has a lot of potential and the world still waiting at his feet.

yours or Steiners?

For what its worth, I think that article misquotes Steiner. I believe his real quote is he is the most COMPLETE player to come out of St. Louis since Jo Jo White. Basically, Steiner felt Jimmy was a better shooter than the Legend or whoever else he could be compared with.

AJ, do you think Brad and company will be happy with a .500 hit rate on quality recruits (enough to field 6.5 good players if everything goes right) or an NBA scout will be kept if he has two lottery picks and one of his choices is a bust. I think standards are much higher than that, personally.

For one, I've heard Steiner say that McKinney was the best player since JoJo White more than a few times, in print and on KFNS. I just quickly did a Google search which gave the quote like I stated. I certainly didn't get that quote from that article. He said it. His evaluation might have been off, but McKinney is still a sophomore, so let's wait.

Even though McKinney has struggled more than I thought, I would still say he's far from a bust. His assist to turnover ratio has improved dramatically from a slow start and is over 1. He's on the cusp of averaging double digits, and is unexpectedly playing more at the point. My original premise last year was that McKinney's numbers would rise exponentially because I thought he'd be playing predominantly at the 2. However, the well-documented Pulley disaster has forced McKinney to play the point. Admittedly, I'm surprised by his poor shooting numbers, but again I attribute a part of that with the demands of playing the point.

With Conley showing great potential at the point, it is my hope that McKinney will blossom next year with a three guard lineup of Conley, Gardner and McKinney. That has the makings of an exciting backcourt. While disappointed, I have certainly not given up on a player with the high character of McKinney.

"The best thing I can say about Jimmy is he's the most complete player to come out of the St. Louis area since (Boston Celtic great) Jo Jo White. That's how much respect I have for him."

AJ, if you don't understand that the word "complete" is not the same as "best" I can't help you. Every time I heard it on t.v. or read it Steiner specifically used the word "complete" because he knew Larry Darius, etc. were better.

Here is the complete article for your reference.

Think back to the days when Chuck Taylor's Converse All-Stars were the shoes of choice for basketball players.

This is the era where Jimmy McKinney belongs. Back when gum came in the baseball card-packs, when soda machines charged only 10 cents, when vinyl spun on record players and CD only meant the third and fourth letters of the alphabet.

So much about McKinney, a senior guard on the Vashon basketball team, makes us push the rewind button when we see him on the court. A jump stop precedes every pass. The ball is caught in triple-threat position. There's no killer crossover in his game, just a head fake and a dribble to create an open shot. No tattoos cover the arms, just a wristband that says "Jesus."

He wears no cornrows. Actually, sideburns and an Afro would suit him better.

"Jimmy McKinney is just old-school," said Eric Bossi, a recruiting analyst for PrepStars.com. "You don't see him making a living off crossover dribbles. You don't see him talking trash or arguing with referees after a call. He just plays."

Fans dig McKinney and think his retro game is groovy. Internet message-board posts read: "Jimmy McKinney is a throwback to the days when a guard was a guard." No doubt, the kid plays like he could have been the guy setting the screen when Hickory High ran the "Picket Fence."

"I don't get into all that," said McKinney, moving his arms in the motion of a crossover dribble. "I leave that for somebody else."

This nostalgia, combined with the athleticism of his game, has folks debating where he ranks all-time among the area's best players.

And why not? McKinney has championships. He has a scholarship to the University of Missouri. And he has fan appeal, judging by the youngsters who before games line up outside the Vashon gym talking how they can't wait to see Jimmy.

"When you're out and you're on the Vashon team, you're seen," McKinney said. "People notice you like you're an NBA player. It's like you're Darius Miles or something."

From the old school

McKinney, a 6-foot-3 guard, has the personality to match his old-school game. He still wears Air Jordans from 1996. He's just as likely to pop a cassette of Betty Wright or Al Green in the tape deck as Nelly.

And there are no mentions of Garnett, Kobe or Vince when talking about the NBA.

"I just remember watching Mike (Jordan) in his prime," McKinney said. "And Magic and those guys. Don't get me wrong, I respect today's players. But it's more like rock-and-jock slam-dunk ball. It was more intense back then."

A four-year varsity starter, McKinney appears to be the opposite of today's high school player. In an era of who can score the most, his first priority is getting his teammates involved. Trash-talk is thrown in the garbage. He respects the opposition, even when a player may be more talented.

Vashon's lone loss of the season came last December against St. Vincent-St. Mary of Akron, Ohio. McKinney spent most of the game in foul trouble while defending star junior LeBron James, a player who some say is ready for the NBA.

"Every newspaper article, every magazine cover that he's gotten, he deserves it," McKinney said. "Because most of the time guys get that stuff on recognition and pub."

McKinney settles for the local headlines. Besides, winning is all that matters. He has the Wolverines on pace for their third consecutive Missouri Class 4A state title. Vashon is 25-1 and ranked No. 4 in the nation by USA Today.

Floyd Irons, who has coached at Vashon since 1973, calls Sean Tunstall the only player he's seen with more ability than McKinney. The one thing, Irons said, that separates them is McKinney's work ethic.

There are the days during the summer when McKinney is at the Vashon gym by 9 a.m. There are the nights after practice where he is alone shooting jumpers.

All of which resulted in McKinney becoming the first Public High League player to sign with Missouri in more than 30 years.

"He doesn't think his work ethic is hard enough," teammate Darron Boone said. "But everything he does on the court is because he's worked hard at it. I tell him every day that he's going to make it."

"Make it," of course, means playing in the NBA. Everything is certainly fastened in place -- talent, a strong family base and a level head -- for McKinney to achieve something he has dreamed of since his days of shooting baskets into garbage cans in the backyard.

"I'm going to tell you like this," McKinney said. "If I don't make the NBA, it's going to take a lot out of me."

All in the family

The shirts easily stand out among the Vashon crowd during a recent game at Sumner. Three fans in the bleachers are sporting nylon-like, dark blue No. 20 jerseys with the name "McKinney" across the back.

"Those are made by the family," Jimmy McKinney Sr. says proudly. "And they're only meant for the family to wear."

McKinney receives a lot of love from the family. At least 10 relatives are in attendance at this game. All are spread throughout the stands, each carrying on different conversations about McKinney. Uncle Dwight, 42, talks of how he refuses to play his nephew in one-on-one anymore, never again wanting to experience the embarrassment of losing to McKinney when he was 12.

Joseph, an older cousin, rambles about how surprised he is to see McKinney avoid the flypaper that catches so many inner-city youth: violence, crime and drugs.

His mother, Emma, is not too fond of basketball, but she knows to stop chatting once the crowd begins chanting "Windmill" when her son has a breakaway dunk attempt. After McKinney disappoints the fans with a simple reverse dunk, she returns to explaining how she sells raffle tickets to raise money for the Vashon program.

The family is always there, whether it is monitoring McKinney's acqua intances or his work in the classroom. In the sixth grade, McKinney let his grades fall during the basketball season. The parents let him attend the game, wear the uniform and participate in warm-up drills. But before tip-off, the coach was told not to let McKinney play.

"It was like I was in foul trouble sitting on the bench -- except I knew I wasn't getting back in," said McKinney, who now has a 3.0 grade-point average and a qualifying score on the ACT college entrance exam.

An All-American

Mizzou assistant coach Tony Harvey insists McKinney is a McDonald's All-American . . . when it comes to character.

"If it were based on personality, man, Jimmy could jump to the pros from high school," Harvey said.

Humble and respectful are how most describe McKinney. And don't forget cool. McKinney is often the best-dressed on team trips. Although his wardrobe consists mostly of today's fads -- polo shirts and Hillfiger jeans.

McKinney credits a man with old-school roots for his flair. "I get my style from Coach," McKinney said. "Because he's just so smooth. You always want to look your best. I'm not wearing suits or anything, but I want to look professional."

An easygoing personality is one of the reasons McKinney has little problem attracting friends, even multi-millionaires.

"He's someone that I always call when I come back," said former East St. Louis standout Darius Miles, now of the Los Angeles Clippers. "He's one of my closest friends, even though I'm from East Side and he's from St. Louis."

In order for McKinney to join his buddy in the seven-figure salary department, however, he is learning a new position. He switched from shooting to point guard this season.

Scouts and analysts noticed McKinney's struggles last summer at the Nike All-American Camp in Indianapolis.

"What people had heard about Jimmy was that he was such a great scorer," Bossi said. "When he wasn't scoring like he normally did, we assumed that he wasn't playing well."

McKinney has adjusted, averaging five assists to go along with his 22 points per game. The improvement made Irons say that Missouri point guard Wesley Stokes "better be ready next year." Mizzou also is recruiting a point guard out of Southern Idaho junior college.

McKinney, meanwhile, simply can't wait to reach the next stage.

"I'm definitely going to put something in Wesley Stokes' mind," McKinney said. "But I'm not coming to take his job. We're not going to compete, because we're teammates. I'm just going to let them know that there's a freshman coming in who's not going to back down."

===

What they are saying about Jimmy McKinney

"The best thing I can say about Jimmy is he's the most complete player to come out of the St. Louis area since (Boston Celtic great) Jo Jo White. That's how much respect I have for him."

DeSmet coach Bob Steiner

"He's got all the showtime skills in his game, but he's more about substance, which is more important. He's the most gifted guard the St. Louis area has produced in many years. The Jimmy McKinney era will be right there along with the likes of Larry Hughes, Ryan Robertson, Darius Miles and Chris Carrawell."

Earl Austin Jr., St. Louis basketball historian

"I remember when Jimmy was a freshman and we played Vashon. He caught this backdoor 'oop' on us and I said, 'Who is this young boy?' I knew then that he had game. On paper, they probably wouldn't rank him in the top 10 players that have come out of St. Louis. But in my book, he's definitely top 10."

Darius Miles, East St. Louis alum and current L.A. Clipper

"He's the best player ever to play in the PHL, and that includes me. I was a pretty decent player back in my day. Every team has what I like to call their 'bell cow.' When they need something, they ring that bell. Jimmy is one of those players. He likes to have the ball in clutch situations and usually delivers."

Beaumont coach Richard Hamilton

I wouldn't dismiss Jimmie just yet. He has certainly not been the impact player he was billed to be, but I think he still is progressing and could be very good still as a junior and senior. I hope he stays at MU, but I would think SLU would be interested in him. I've never heard anything legitimate (other than a BRoy rumor) about him being anything but a good kid. He's just not as good on the court as he was built up to be.

i have never said anything bad about jimmy other than report the story about his act test. other than that, jimmy is a model citizen from what i have heard.