Last night

Tonka

Interesting reading all the thoughts about last night. Forgive the redundancy as a lot has already been said. Overall, I thought it was a disappointing night. Like Coach said after the game, never aplogize for a win. I'm glad we won as losses even in the preseason seem to take their toll. Initially, I was disappointed in what seems to be the patented slow Billiken start. I think it was over 6.5 minutes into the game and we had 3 points on the board. That is horrible! It seems like we have seen that with too many Billiken teams. Luckliy for us, AIA had a horrible start as well. I think we have to do a better job from the start. Since we are not going to be an offensive powerhouse, it's imperative to not get behind from the get go, as it will be hard to catch up. I understand it was the first game, but I hope this won't be a pattern. The other disappointing thing were the turnovers. Enough said, as this has been addressed. I loved TF's intensity and loved his bully attitude. Coach talked about having a quick hook when players have 2 fouls early in the game. I hope TF can learn to find the balance between being an animal but keeping himself in games and out of foul trouble. I too was impressed with RB's shot. I know he really didn't get in any rhythm, but you can tell he has skills. Coach said after the game that he is potentially a 20+ points a game guy. Wow! Wouldn't that be great if that was the case. Looking at the offense on this team, that could happen. Sloan hustled as well, but somebody said it best when they talked about it not being pretty when he went to the basket. That is perfect, as that is the case. I seem to remember Highmark being the same way. I am not comparing the two, but I remember when Highmark did drive to the basket it not being all that pretty. Strength Coach, make Ian a project an bulk him up for the years to come. He looked like a little boy in a body that grew too fast. He definitely has the height and I didn't see enough from last night to comment on his future, but trusting a lot of your judgement, I would say he's going to be a huge asset in the future. The uniform shorts thing is kind of inexcusable. RB looked like he was wearing Yao Ming's shorts and Ian's look like they would have been big on Yao. Great job student section. It was nice to see the Blue. Roy, they must have read this board and your post! Kidding. It was nice to see. I think Varner was okay, but certainly not great. Question: I picked up a pocket schedule from the ticket office and Varner was on the cover. Maybe there are an assortment of them and there are others with other players. If not, I question that. Why not Fish or Sloan? AD was certainly no A Train, but looked okay. He was fantastic at the line, but I did not like his shot selection. Defense was what I expected from these guys. As far as all the praise that has been given to AIA, I don't know about that. I'm not saying they are a bad team as I think they came into last night with a crazy shooting percentage, but we will face much better and will we see guards that are as fast. Let's hope the coaches analyze the game film, iron out the turnovers and work with the players and the defensive lapses and this should be an interesting year.

I think you can give the players a little slack with the lack of scoring early on. It was the first time any of these guys stepped on a court together in a real game, W/O Marque Perry anywhere to be seen (I know he had injuries in the past, but for the past 2 year the thinking has been, give the ball to perry.)

Thinks will hopefully improve.

Steve

the schedules typically have random pics of the seniors. the ones i picked up at first look had fisher on the picture.

I may be wrong but I thought this was a very early date for the first exhibition game. Usually the guys have at least another week of practice before they get on the court together. I think that played a big role in why we started so slow. In two weeks with our next one we should be much better prepared.