Real Basketball

slu72

Just read SI about Memphis. Enjoying a great start, and still Calipari is not pleased with their effort. So much so, he bought in that famous sport psych, Rotella I believe, to speak to them. This is a top tier coach, whose team has talent up the wazzoo, yet he's griping. I think this maybe a common characteristic of great coaches, they never stop trying to make their teams better. They know what it takes to win big and constantly push their teams to excel. Some on here want RM to back off and throw roses on our guys. I don't think RM would be saying anything different if we were 11-0. Even 2-3 years down the road if we have a top caliber team, I think he'll be whining about something not being right. The big names never get complacent.

Just read SI about Memphis. Enjoying a great start, and still Calipari is not pleased with their effort. So much so, he bought in that famous sport psych, Rotella I believe, to speak to them. This is a top tier coach, whose team has talent up the wazzoo, yet he's griping. I think this maybe a common characteristic of great coaches, they never stop trying to make their teams better. They know what it takes to win big and constantly push their teams to excel. Some on here want RM to back off and throw roses on our guys. I don't think RM would be saying anything different if we were 11-0. Even 2-3 years down the road if we have a top caliber team, I think he'll be whining about something not being right. The big names never get complacent.

Memphis?!?

Even with the Chaifetz we aren't close to the resources and history they have.....they have been swimming in the big pond for quite a while and are shooting for the final four this year! Maybe Rotella can stop by STL on the way back home from Memphis...he could do a group therapy session tonight.

Comparing ourselves to Gonzaga or Xavier might be more reasonable...

Memphis?!?

Even with the Chaifetz we aren't close to the resources and history they have.....they have been swimming in the big pond for quite a while and are shooting for the final four this year! Maybe Rotella can stop by STL on the way back home from Memphis...he could do a group therapy session tonight.

Comparing ourselves to Gonzaga or Xavier might be more reasonable...

Slu72 maybe comparing the situation coach to coach not team to team..

and makes a good point, his (RM) "critique" of players efforts is labeled as negative, simply because as a society we are accustomed to here false compliments rather than matter of fact talk. The flip side of that is that when a coach like this says something nice about a player it carries more authority.

and makes a good point, his (RM) "critique" of players efforts is labeled as negative, simply because as a society we are accustomed to here false compliments rather than matter of fact talk. The flip side of that is that when a coach like this says something nice about a player it carries more authority.

RM should also point the finger at himself and his coaching staff (if he doesn't do it on the radio shows, etc. already). I think he has called out certain players that doesn't seem real constructive (who knows, maybe it has been). I don't mind negative talk about the team (i.e. "our team doesn't concentrate enough and therefore we commit stupid turnovers"), but there is enough blame to go around for how we are playing and it resides both with the coaches and players.

Again, before someone accuses me otherwise, it's great to have RM here. I'm excited for the future and have a lot of faith that we'll have very positive results in the future. I just expected more this year.

Memphis is flushed with FEDEX $.

I believe they foot the bill for whole weight and training room just for the BBall team.

Memphis is flushed with FEDEX $.

I believe they foot the bill for whole weight and training room just for the BBall team.

I wasn't comparing Memphis' program w/ ours. Just what some winning HC's have in common. Coaches, the best ones, are always striving for perfection from their teams. They know they're never going to get the perfect game, ie players will always make mistakes. But it doesn't stop them from pointing them out so they can be avoided in the future. No doubt, Memphis is college hoops at the highest level. John Calapari, who I'm not big fan of, rebuilt them into that. The whole point was the "cultural" thing. No matter how much talent you've got, a good HC is never going to be satisfied. And if Calipari can get on his bunch of Mickey D all americans, then RM ought to be allowed to get on our players without the fans jumping all over his a**. C'mon, this isn't youth soccer where every player gets a trophy even if the biggest contribution made was his parents bringing the post game snacks.

RM should also point the finger at himself and his coaching staff (if he doesn't do it on the radio shows, etc. already). I think he has called out certain players that doesn't seem real constructive (who knows, maybe it has been). I don't mind negative talk about the team (i.e. "our team doesn't concentrate enough and therefore we commit stupid turnovers"), but there is enough blame to go around for how we are playing and it resides both with the coaches and players.

Again, before someone accuses me otherwise, it's great to have RM here. I'm excited for the future and have a lot of faith that we'll have very positive results in the future. I just expected more this year.

This year is far from over.

This game gives us hope. Before this game I was wondering how RM had coached Tommie and Kevin into mediocrity. They certainly showed their talent and confidence is still there. Maybe RM knows what he's doing afterall. It will be interesting to see if we can build on this with a W over Loyola.