How would Al McGuire coach this team?

I'm serious. Rick Majerus played and coached under the legendary Al McGuire at Marquette.

Do you think Al McGuire had guys like Dean "The Dream" Meminger, Butch Lee, Bo Ellis, et al., confined to this "system?"

I remember reading an article about McGuire sometime ago, like 20 years, and hearing an interview with him on sports radio. I think his style was 1.) in your face defense, critical, because your offense is more subject to downers and poor nights. Good D can keep you in it. 2.) A bad shot taken was a mortal sin requiring the sinner to do his pennance on the bench. He related a story about one player who was very hot one night and then took a bad shot and made it! Bench! He got into a fight with the rest of the team about taking out the hot handed guy. He finally inserted him toward the end of the game, and the kid hit the winning shot. But his point was made. 3.) He loved a big #5. Said you should always look first for the high percentage shot, ie layup, dunk, little jumper. Now he wasn't around to coach during the 3pt rule, I don't think. So I don't know how that would have changed his coaching philosophy. I also think Al had run ins with a lot of his players. Hell, he tried to punch one during the half time of a semi final NCAA game for, guess what?, taking a bad shot. RM had to pull the player out of the locker room. Bottom line: I think Al would be doing just what RM is doing.....his way or the high way. I'm thinking RM would consider this year a wasted year if he didn't instill his philosophy and system immediately and at the sacrificing of a few more W's. It's gonna be a tough year, I'm afraid, until the light goes on and his system becomes instinctive rather than giving it a lot of thought. A lot of the missed open shots maybe the results of a player thinking: is this a good shot or a bad shot rather than just taking it without any thought. Basketball ain't chess.

It is hard to go through this change. I would be willing to accept a lot of losses in order to be ready to win four in a row at the end of the season at Atlantic City.

Can we get it down by then, that is the question.

I remember reading an article about McGuire sometime ago, like 20 years, and hearing an interview with him on sports radio. I think his style was 1.) in your face defense, critical, because your offense is more subject to downers and poor nights. Good D can keep you in it. 2.) A bad shot taken was a mortal sin requiring the sinner to do his pennance on the bench. He related a story about one player who was very hot one night and then took a bad shot and made it! Bench! He got into a fight with the rest of the team about taking out the hot handed guy. He finally inserted him toward the end of the game, and the kid hit the winning shot. But his point was made. 3.) He loved a big #5. Said you should always look first for the high percentage shot, ie layup, dunk, little jumper. Now he wasn't around to coach during the 3pt rule, I don't think. So I don't know how that would have changed his coaching philosophy. I also think Al had run ins with a lot of his players. Hell, he tried to punch one during the half time of a semi final NCAA game for, guess what?, taking a bad shot. RM had to pull the player out of the locker room. Bottom line: I think Al would be doing just what RM is doing.....his way or the high way. I'm thinking RM would consider this year a wasted year if he didn't instill his philosophy and system immediately and at the sacrificing of a few more W's. It's gonna be a tough year, I'm afraid, until the light goes on and his system becomes instinctive rather than giving it a lot of thought. A lot of the missed open shots maybe the results of a player thinking: is this a good shot or a bad shot rather than just taking it without any thought. Basketball ain't chess.

Al McGuire was my favorite coach. He did like the big guy; he called the big guy "the aircraft carrier." But he also had guys that could shoot, "zone busters." I don't remember McGuire reigning in Butch Lee; he even let Lee create those turquoise pullover jerseys.

Another thing McGuire often said that is still so true: "Games are won and lost at the beginning of the second half." I still see that time and time again on both the college and prep levels.

As for Dr. K's post, IMO, if SLU can just win the games it is supposed to win (i.e. not lose to a Sam Houston State at home), SLU would have a fighting chance at post-season play. But something is wrong with this team. I have to admit that I am surprised the way this season has gone to date.

I'm serious. Rick Majerus played and coached under the legendary Al McGuire at Marquette.

Do you think Al McGuire had guys like Dean "The Dream" Meminger, Butch Lee, Bo Ellis, et al., confined to this "system?"

However McGuire coached, he's still look like Grandpa Munster. Now that I think about it, RM looks a lot like Uncle Fester.

I thought Bo Ellis was the designer who did the uniforms, not Butch Lee.

Bottom line is talent. Ask the question, did Al's teams have talent? And the coach's son. I remember an article in SI entitled "Get Da Shoo-Dah, said Fa-Dah" or something like that. It was a play on Al's New Yorker accent in white-bread Milwaukee and his relationship with his son on the court. It focused on Ally McGuire playing for dad Al. At the opposing foul line Al would always holler "Get the shoo-dah, Al-lee!" or something like that. Coach's sons are always gym rats, and always seem to be of caucasion persuasion (I guess because most coaches are the same). But its always the same --- how the kid adopts the dad's philosphy and work ethic and makes himself into a player that, on talent alone, he should not be. Becomes the de-facto coach on the floor, an extension of the dad. I remember Scott Highmark being a "gym rat." I always figured that his desire was what separated him from similar players, guys like Drew Deiner. i thought they were essentially the same ballplayer, but the results were dramatically different. And Deiner was a "gym rat" and coach's son as well. Different degrees, I guess. Who wants it more.

Again, talent wins games with consistency. Sure, you can hide one game, maybe two, with preparation and coaching but in the long run, no horses, no beer hitch.

I would think the results would be much worse if Al McGuire were coaching the Bills... Fewer set plays and lack of flow on offense - probably a complete lack of defense - much worse recruiting.

Can't really blame McGuire though - he's been dead since 2001.