Power Forward, Where art thou

bart

Watching #45 work over poor Chris Sloan was really ugly tonight. Don't blame Chris. For four years Chris has been playing out of position and we recruit no one who is a legit power forward. I continue to maintain that unless we recruit a legitimate PF with one of the two remaining scholarships (I continue to be pessimistic about Tommie)this is NOT a good recruting class. Issac does not have the personna to be a PF, he is best in lots of space and JJ wants to run and jump NOT bang. If a 6'6" guy from Chuppala JC averaging about 10 points a game is the answer, I'll be surprised. It sounds like one more example of someone playing out of position because we can't recruit a true PF then we blame the kid we recruit for not being a PF. Where is Anthony Bonner when you need him?

>>JJ wants to run and jump NOT bang<<

I think it is too early to make that assessment. The guy has only played a handful of minutes in the last month. In the few minutes we saw him last night, I liked what I saw on defense (he does put a body on his guy) and he produced the one time all night one of our guys out jumped a DePaul guy for the ball (it was on the offensive glass, JJ jumped over his defender who had him boxed out and we got the ball after it went out of bounds off the DePaul player). It is so hard to make judgments based upon so few minutes. Next year Justin is going to have to play alot of minutes at PF and I for one am not dismayed by that prospect. He has all the tools we have been looking for. The guy was diligent on the weights last summer and I expect the same thing again this summer. Also, I expect Izik to again gain weight this summer.

Nobody said it was easy being a Billikens fan.

You are all correct about needing a high jumping PF - it has been a real problem for the Bills for sometime. The reason we lost the game was because we did not play tough defense the entire game. Now you can say it was because we do not have the athletes and I accept that but there was an awful lot of open 3s shot by DePaul last night and you can not tell me that our lacking a real PF was the cause of that. We simply did not contest everyshot and this team is in trouble when we don't do that.

Anytime you sign the likes of Polk and Meyer you have a good recruiting class. IF Liddell makes it into SLU, even as a prop 48, it becomes a very good class. If Liddell goes the prep school route, this can still be a very good recruiting class depending on what SLU does with the 3rd and 4th scholarship. Not being able to use McClain's scholarship next season (assuming no changes to the 5/8 rule) hurts.

It appears our current roster of talent is better suited for the

A-10, rather than the upper echelon of the C-USA.

about a walk on commiting to SLU??? I noted it talked about but no one seemed to confirm it. Wat is Kalicak??

as for the PF at Chippola, I would not poo poo it just yet. TF's stats were not that impressive there either. I have been quite impressed with him thus far. If this guy is a guy that TF says can play, and Brad's friend/ former teammate says can play, I would have hope for him.

Another point. Brad has brought in three big men in his last recruiting year. TF can play. Ian seems to have it based on what I saw last night. Husak is still an unknown, but based on what I have seen from TF and IV i would have to say that Brad's judgement is sound. He will not bring in any Sekue Barentine.

nate latsch reported here after frank made the comment that he talked to steiner and stiener denied any truth to it. i would guess the kid wants some assurance there is a scholarship waiting or something. otherwise to be honest, i would take the umkc scholarship or whatever else apparently is there for the taking instead of a walkon for 24k tuition out of pocket and then another 9k for rm and bd.

holland is so strong, and long, that he can get the look he needs whenever he wants. he made a few of them and there wasnt much anyone could do to stop that. those were bigtime shots he made.

we've been over diener's open looks. unforgiveable.

broy, perhaps the cost of a walk-on is half that amount (still a lot of $$$$). I think a walk-on could prove to the coaching staff in four months of practice (Sept-Oct-Nov-Dec) whether he is capable of helping the Billikens in the future. If he gets positive feedback from the coaching staff that a scholarship will be forthcoming, the walk-on stays on. If not, he transfers to another school.