RPI article

SShoe

but how bad a team wins/loses should have some factor in a teams computer rankings. If you have two teams that play the exact same schedule and finish 8-2. One team wins every game by 20 points and loses the 2 games by 1 point. The other hand, the other team wins every game by one point and loses by 20 in the others. The RPI will tell you those teams are the exact same, but I think any reasonable person would argee they are not equals.

The whole point of this article, however, was to reward teams that play well on the road. The problem with any analysis of just road games is a lack of datapoints (since most teams only play a couple non-conference games on the road). Thus, the RPI numbers are about equal to the numbers you see in mid December which we all know are garbage.

Kshoe ... I've been making that same arguement for a while ... There should be a factor for margin of victory or loss ... just a diminishing value to prevent teams from running up the score to increase their rpi.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Great article thanks for posting it.

He makes some good points. While I think margin of victory should be included I still think home and road aspect is more important. As his chart showed these teams especially in the SEC that schedule all home games in their non con have a distinct advantage over teams who play tough games on the road. We all have seen these conferences with bloated numbers get trounced in the NCAAs because they inflated their RPI with all the home games. Something needs to be added to offset this.