Insider Article... Enjoy

jobekwslu

Hours before Rick Majerus' first official practice at Saint Louis, his assistants reminded him that he had signed up for three hours of gym time even though the Billikens only have eight healthy players.

There are only eight on scholarship, two players are hurt and there is one walk-on overall on the roster.

So, top assistants and former head coaches Porter Moser (Illinois State) and Paul Biancardi (Wright State) reminded Majerus that once the team divides into four stations, there will be no waiting in line for the drill.

"So, they kept saying that I can't push them that way," Majerus said Friday afternoon as he prepared for his first practice since leaving Utah four years ago. During that time, Majerus spent time with ESPN as an analyst as well as a brief four-day spell as the USC head coach two years ago.

Majerus plotted out Saturday's practice, too, and realized he better not go twice. That prompted his Utah former player, Alex Jensen, to tell him, "'You're going soft coach.' Well, I told Alex, 'You don't have to worry about me being soft,'" Majerus said.

Even though practice hadn't started yet, healthy bodies are hard to find and expectations aren't too high, Majerus definitely seems to be in a good space (save a nasty bout of allergies he said he's fighting for the first time in his life).

I've talked to Majerus countless times throughout the past 18 years since I used to cover the WAC in the early 1990s. And Majerus' self-imposed stress was always an issue. It might rear it's ugly head again, but so far, he seems to be much more at ease as he enters what is likely his last coaching job at the age of 59.

He will still prepare as well, if not better, than any other coach in the country. His attention to detail will be precise. He will implore that this team adopt his desire to ensure the importance of defending, rebounding and then shot selection before finally defining everyone's role.

But he might not be as hard on players. Majerus' frustrations are with the inability to land walk-ons so far (he said the tuition package in the $40,000 range makes it harder to find walk-ons as compared to state schools at Utah and Ball State). He has recruited well so far but isn't burning himself out. He has hired two former head coaches for his staff in Moser and Biancardi, whose NCAA show-cause penalty ended on Oct. 1 from his violations at Ohio State, have helped tremendously in locating talent.

The schedule bugs him a bit, especially agreeing to play in a three-day tournament in Pittsburgh in November.

Still, Majerus is committed to building a program, not just a team. He loves practice, always has and always will. That's why he couldn't wait for the start Friday night.

But he also loves being a part of the process and a city, especially a pro town. He talks fondly of throwing out the first pitch at a Cardinals game and receiving a Stan Musial jersey from Musial himself.

Saint Louis is expected to be an upper division A-10 team this season with guards Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch. But the squad is missing true bigs. And that's why expectations have to be tempered.

Still, you can bet that Majerus will have this team well prepared.

Hours before Rick Majerus' first official practice at Saint Louis, his assistants reminded him that he had signed up for three hours of gym time even though the Billikens only have eight healthy players.

There are only eight on scholarship, two players are hurt and there is one walk-on overall on the roster.

So, top assistants and former head coaches Porter Moser (Illinois State) and Paul Biancardi (Wright State) reminded Majerus that once the team divides into four stations, there will be no waiting in line for the drill.

"So, they kept saying that I can't push them that way," Majerus said Friday afternoon as he prepared for his first practice since leaving Utah four years ago. During that time, Majerus spent time with ESPN as an analyst as well as a brief four-day spell as the USC head coach two years ago.

Majerus plotted out Saturday's practice, too, and realized he better not go twice. That prompted his Utah former player, Alex Jensen, to tell him, "'You're going soft coach.' Well, I told Alex, 'You don't have to worry about me being soft,'" Majerus said.

Even though practice hadn't started yet, healthy bodies are hard to find and expectations aren't too high, Majerus definitely seems to be in a good space (save a nasty bout of allergies he said he's fighting for the first time in his life).

I've talked to Majerus countless times throughout the past 18 years since I used to cover the WAC in the early 1990s. And Majerus' self-imposed stress was always an issue. It might rear it's ugly head again, but so far, he seems to be much more at ease as he enters what is likely his last coaching job at the age of 59.

He will still prepare as well, if not better, than any other coach in the country. His attention to detail will be precise. He will implore that this team adopt his desire to ensure the importance of defending, rebounding and then shot selection before finally defining everyone's role.

But he might not be as hard on players. Majerus' frustrations are with the inability to land walk-ons so far (he said the tuition package in the $40,000 range makes it harder to find walk-ons as compared to state schools at Utah and Ball State). He has recruited well so far but isn't burning himself out. He has hired two former head coaches for his staff in Moser and Biancardi, whose NCAA show-cause penalty ended on Oct. 1 from his violations at Ohio State, have helped tremendously in locating talent.

The schedule bugs him a bit, especially agreeing to play in a three-day tournament in Pittsburgh in November.

Still, Majerus is committed to building a program, not just a team. He loves practice, always has and always will. That's why he couldn't wait for the start Friday night.

But he also loves being a part of the process and a city, especially a pro town. He talks fondly of throwing out the first pitch at a Cardinals game and receiving a Stan Musial jersey from Musial himself.

Saint Louis is expected to be an upper division A-10 team this season with guards Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch. But the squad is missing true bigs. And that's why expectations have to be tempered.

Majerus has to "sign up" for gym time? SLU doesn't have its own basketball practice facility?

Men's basketball, Women's basketball, Volleyball, and Cheerleading all fight for gym time in West Pine!!! Reports say that will be the case in Chaifetz as well due to the fact that Larry doesn't want the basketball floor down in the main arena unless it is game day! I truly hope that report is false!!!!

Men's basketball, Women's basketball, Volleyball, and Cheerleading all fight for gym time in West Pine!!! Reports say that will be the case in Chaifetz as well due to the fact that Larry doesn't want the basketball floor down in the main arena unless it is game day! I truly hope that report is false!!!!

If I remember correctly, I believe there is two practice courts at the new arena - correct me if I am wrong. Also, The women bb team can and does practice at Simon Center. I also would not see why the cheerleaders would not do the same. I think the idea of signing up is just that if the gym is not being used then others can use it so by signing up you are simply being fair for the other groups.

If I remember correctly, I believe there is two practice courts at the new arena - correct me if I am wrong. Also, The women bb team can and does practice at Simon Center. I also would not see why the cheerleaders would not do the same. I think the idea of signing up is just that if the gym is not being used then others can use it so by signing up you are simply being fair for the other groups.

You guys habitually miss the point. Thats why I registered to be on this site. The mens basketball team can do whatever they want. Argue about sign-ups all day and make no sense. I appreciate your exclusive insights. I'm pissed I pay for insider when you guys give up your info for free...

You guys habitually miss the point. Thats why I registered to be on this site. The mens basketball team can do whatever they want. Argue about sign-ups all day and make no sense. I appreciate your exclusive insights. I'm pissed I pay for insider when you guys give up your info for free...

Thanks for posting the insider article, it is appreciated.

Thanks for posting the whole story.

Pretty decent piece, but it seems like they are painting an overly dramatic picture of the situation. Sure, we have some question marks, but I don't think it's quite as bad as he makes it out to be. Like, what's with the "only 8 players on scholarship". Last I checked we had 12.

I am still trying to figure out this post.

I am still trying to figure out this post.

Me too.......

It reminds me of foreign posters on an RC aero-modeling website I frequent. I love hearing chatter from Treblisi, Georgia and Norway and Kiev and the Czeck republic. Most of the foreign posters use the English language as or more effectively than jobekwslu.......

Again, thanks for the info......

My last post was made in an effort to deter further arguments about insignificant points. Arguing about practice slots makes us all look like dumb-asses.

I agree with you about the practice slots. Rick just has to write down when he wants to practice. Everybody else has to work around his schedule.