Summerball..

I agree with everything your saying but the high school coaches have these kids the most and they dont teach fundamentals. Bobby Knight was the main proponent for getting high school basketball out of high school coaches hands. Coaches no matter the level are making money on the kids and I have a problem with that. Who do you blame for kids not hitting free throws and not being able to reverse pivot, and dribble with both hands? Can you blame it on the high summer coach. How many games does your son play in July at high school shootouts. I dont think a kid should ever play more than 2 games in a day and I agree with you.

exactly.. Tyler does do reverse pivot's. Does them in games too. We work on it. I agree.. two a day is enough.

As soon as the summer is over. Aug is the down month. Nothing... up to him what he does.

Sept. and Oct.. just shooting.

Cg

You have to look at it different becuase your son has parents that are involved and a great high school coach. A lot of kids dont have that luxury and people take advantage of them whether it is the high school coach or the summer coach or another family member it is sad. I dont have the luxury to talk to coaches like you so if you can ever ask these questions would love to know the answer.

1. Would Billy Gillespie have hired Deandre Jordan high school coach without Deandre committing to Texas A&M?

2. Was the 1,000 in the emery package sent from eddie Sutton all that he ever sent to players?

3. Ask Clem Haskins if he cared about his players when people were doing their home work so they could concentrate on basketball?

If all the college coaches would quit going to these events summer ball would be over. With the budgets these schools have they have to have the summer to see a lot of kids at once and the smaller schools are able to find players and give the lesser guys schlorships.

more of an ankle-note

not sure he is doing anything yet as he had ankle surgery, as of a couple of weeeks ago he was doing nothing basketball wise from what i was told

not sure when the decision was made on no aau vs knowing he needed surgery

I see it being funny that Matt Painter and Bruce Weber dont like AAU in the summer. Didnt Painter just sign 4 top 100 guys that played on the same AAU team. Didnt Weber make a living on Saint Louis kids when he was at SIU? Probably no way you get all those kids if they dont play together in the summer?

AAU is great if for no other reason than you get to see the best players in the country matchup against each other. These kids might not even face each other over 4 years of college basketball, but you can get 50+ of the top players in the country in the same building for heated competition. A lot of these kids are playing as if their life depends on it, because for some of them it really does. This is the difference between D1 or a JUCO in Anytown USA, or a life on the streets.

I think a coach can see more watching 2 top flight players going against each other vs a high school game where they are playing zone and have terrible officials. I think if a kid has a good high school coach and a good AAU team he is going to have a much better chance to succeed

I don't have a problem with a lot of what your saying, I agree. but..fact remains the present system plain stinks. At least the NCAA and the shoe companies are trying to do something different. I commend that. One of the only positives is that all these kids are in one spot for the coach's, yes they do like that. But this same reason is why some believe US players are falling behind the Europeans and others in skill developement too. Yes we have better athletes. But they are getting better skilled. I'm sure you have heard that argument before?

Thanks for the compliment yes, Tyler does have good parents (at least one... his mom) and yes he has a very good HS coach. So maybe this change is a positive thing for those that don't have those luxeries? At least it is an attempt.

We are on the same page but the high school coaches need to teach the kids better and the summer coaches need to know their role. I hope the skills camps work, I hope college coaches quit cheating and I hope AAU teams look out for the kids and try and teach them something.

I just have friends that coach in the summer and do a good job but they are a minority. From what i have heard St. Louis is lucky having two good AAU teams. Compared to other cities the kids have a few options here. I just think high school coaches have to get better also

I don't feel like reading the entire thread, but what camps will no longer be around. I was recently asked to work at the Hoop Jamboree on the campus of Saint Louis University so I know that they are still doing that for the younger guys.

Mr. Griffey, did you go down to Houston for the Kingwood? I flew back to St. Louis that Sunday night with one of the Gateway teams, I think it was one of the younger teams (there were two white kids wearing Borgia tshirts) and they seemed like an extremely respectful group of players and coaches.

>I don't have a problem with a lot of what your saying, I

>agree. but..fact remains the present system plain stinks.

>At least the NCAA and the shoe companies are trying to do

>something different. I commend that. One of the only

>positives is that all these kids are in one spot for the

>coach's, yes they do like that. But this same reason is why

>some believe US players are falling behind the Europeans and

>others in skill developement too. Yes we have better

>athletes. But they are getting better skilled. I'm sure

>you have heard that argument before?

>

>Thanks for the compliment yes, Tyler does have good parents

>(at least one... his mom) and yes he has a very good HS

>coach. So maybe this change is a positive thing for those

>that don't have those luxeries? At least it is an attempt.

The US has fallen behind as far as team play, but as far as individual players, the US still has by far the best. Of the top 20 players in the NBA, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Shaquille Oneal, Kevin Garnett, Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Amare Stoudemire, Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Shawn Marion, Ray Allen, Ben Wallace, Chris Bosh, Gilbert Arenas, and Yao Ming, only 2 of those 20 are foreign imports. The game's best players are from America, but overseas teams are playing a better team game. Overseas it is okay for some players to just be able to shoot while in America a guy who can only shoot is considered a weakness, that's why you have foreign shooters drafted over the white college basketball shooter in today's game. The white player is being replaced with the foreign player. When I was growing up there was Mark Price, John Stockton, Larry Bird, Chris Mullin, and other white players who were the faces of the franchise, now I can think of maybe one in Steve Nash. But you have foreign players like Ming, Gasol, and Nowitzki who are franchise players.

Hmmmm.. One word.. OLYMPICS!!! Your so called stars.. were destroyed. How soon we forget a team of stars.. somtimes can't compete against a TEAM!!! "The US has fallen behind as far as team play". And what else the &^$%% else is there? There can be no stars without the team. Which of those players were the stars in the olympics? That also equates to NO fundamentals. I really don't think "White" players are being replaced by foreign players either.. but US players. Sorry I'm not buying that one.

I think if a team is picked based on chemistry with a mixture of stars and role players the United States wouldnt get beat. Remember the 84 Olympic team when Knight coached? You had Leon Wood, Jon Koncak and Vern Fleming on that team. Barkley was left out and Knight built a team that destroyed everyone. The reason Florida won the last 2 national championships is because of a team. They had one McDonald AA vs NC and Duke have over 5 a piece. I also think you have to have a pro coach instead of Coach K. The pro game is a different game and K got outcoached in every game. Until coaching gets better in the United States we will behind everyone else.

the mindset of america's team has changed.

when the first dream team was set, the likes of barkley, magic, bird, ewing, jordan, etc, really wanted to win for america.

i havent gotten that impression the last couple of dream teams. i got the impression that

1. the players seemed to think they were doing us a favor by being on the team rather than considering it an honor to even be on the team

2. they were out for themselves more than the team.

imo, we should build a team that can devote at least a continuous year of playing together. that might mean taking players who's nba days are over, or development league players but we would have a hell of a lot better chance of winning with those players than the prima donnas trotted out there last time.