Bernies Comments on SLU

I don't consider Mizzou to be one of those top 25 schools. As a matter of fact, even at their peak, which would have been the Top Ranking year of Stipo, Dressler, Sunvold, Frazier and McCary (sp?), they were in my book a fluke ... a one-and-done kind of thing. They weren't a staple on the national scene up to that point, and really haven't been at that level since. That' swas what, 1980? Sure, they've been better than us as evidenced by their more (at least I am perceiving more) NCAA appearances but not a national destination player on the national scene.

They are not even one of the top programs in their league, as I'd rank Kansas and Texas and probably Oklahoma and Ok State above them in the Big 12 alone. So in that book, they'd be fighting for at best a five ranking and there are times Iowa State, Texas A&M and othes are ahead of or at least equal to them. While the bottom of the Big Twelve may not be as mediocre as say the A10 adn the Mo Valley, it sure ain't that great.

While I like the Majerus hiring and adding the new arena to that is two of the biggest pluses I have ever seen in our program, I am stopping short of endorsing BM's comment that Biondi came through and made SLU a top 50 program. Proff is in the pudding and we are not there just yet. Two huge stesp certainly but let's see what November brings in the way of signings. Gab and all the others can talk and argue and opine all they want, nothing is certain other than we have more "buzz" right now and its buzz for right reasons rather than wrong.

As for Majerus having talks with all the influential AAU folk --- that's a thing of the current and future I guess. Got to kowtow down to the perceived handlers and straphangers of these kids nowadays. I could not do it. And let's not forget Majerus has been accused of rubbing some folks the wrong way. For some reason, I don't see him cozying up to these guys if the cozy isn't paid back.

Mizzou was pretty good in the late 80's early 90's. Norm could win conference crowns all day, he just couldn't win with any consistency in the tourney.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

.... I believe that what the two of you point out buttresses my point. They might have been good in the 80's and 90's under Norm, good enough to win league titles, and they may have had a run under Quinny to an Elite Eight, but shot the wad and went away. Maybe if Norm wins a couple in the tourney in his time frame, the overall picture is different, I don't know. But the fact that they didn't pours more cement on my point. And as for Quinny, well, all I can say is we were extremely lofty twice ... ranked as high as 17 with Claggs and crew and Round of 32 with Hughes. So we have our "even a blind squirrel finds a nut" moments as well. Not as lofty as Mizzou's but that's what I kind of mean ttoo.

I place them higher than us overall and in the state. I don't beleive they play major college football but with some representative 11 out there on fall Satrudays, they do more than we ever will. I think they milked a Detroit connection years ago to tread water at a certain level but did not get much higher and now find themselves sulking down near the bottom of top 100 programs. No where near 50 and certainly not the cream of the crop 25.

For a long while Mizzou was at least a consistent top 50 team. The hiccups would have been when they weren't not when they were. Without looking it up I'd say there were good periods when they were consistently top 25 not just a year or 2. Wins in the tourney would have changed a lot, they just never seemed to et it done. SLU's basketball history over the last 30 yers though doesn't touch Mizzou's. TIme for that to change though and I don't see any reason it shouldn't.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.