new recruiting name - Paul Banister

Nate Latsch

I've been told St. Louis University has some interest in Lafayette senior center Paul Banister. I don't know how much interest, but the Billikens are at least giving him a look.

Banister is 6-foot-8 and has gotten taller, stronger and better over the last few years. He's a good rebounder and a decent interior defender, but he doesn't show much on the offensive end because Lafayette has several good scorers.

He'd be a project, but he's the best available local big man not named Curtis Muse. If the Bills don't land a decent JUCO with the fourth scholarship, they might take a chance on Banister.

- Nate

ps: DON'T kill the messenger on this one. PLEASE.

Truth is I would rather have the scholarship lay fallow than give it to someone who would have to be redshirted and then be taking up a spot for 5 years. JUCO is a good deal if you can find one that has anything to offer - only a 2 year investment and you can use them immediately and then provide a year of transition for a freshman. I think I will take my chances with either a JUCO or get a good high school player next year.

truth is, that while i am not wild about getting banister. he has a mean streak, he has some decent size and knows the game. will he dominate the game and have 3 alley opp dunks each game? no. but my guess is he might end up being as capable as a couple of bigs we got sitting around right now.

that all said, i hope we find better, but i dont know if we can afford to let the scholarship lay around for a year. unless ian and bryce's skills really pick up, we need inside help badly for next year imo.