SIU & Missouri Man -To-Man Defense

Big Al 1

After observing the SIU and Missouri man to man defense it appears that both coaches have their players play very close and are constantly bumping their opponent and doing a lot of grabbing...The coaches tend to evaluate what the refs will stand for during the first 4 or 5 minutes and go from there...It seems the refs get tired of making a call even though constant bumping is a foul...In the meantime the players on offense are getting frustrated and make unforced turnovers of their own...What do you think?...Should this type of defense be allowed in college ball?...In last night's game it appeared that Kansas figured out that one needs to just bully one's way past the guard with dribble penetration and then pass off or go hard to the basket.

Good post.. NO I HATE THAT!!! Point of emphasiss this year..was hand checking foul in high school anyway. Same hold true for college ball though too. Defenses continue to get up on you and bump and grab and hand check. BLOW THE #$% WHISTLE!!!!

This is guard play too.. don't even talk about play in the post now.

I agree. GW was allowed to do it to us in the A10 tourney. We can't even get the refs to call it in Jr High girls basketball. We get 10-15 jump balls a game 90% should be fouls, but as long as they are allowed they will continue.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I didn't say that it was why we lost. This thread was about the physical play being allowed and it does pertain to our game with GW.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

griffster joins us in the "blow the whistle" club!!!

welcome.

btw, just finished watching the florida butler game on tv. what a joke that florida supposedly had only fouled 8 times with about 2 minutes to go. my gosh they foul that much one time down the floor.

Roy I've been in that corner for some time now. It's just rediculous what defense has come to now days. I may have even started the movement!!!

How about the FL guy that backed that Butler defender in with 3 hits (not bumps) until he got under the basket and then laid it in with a foul. What is the defender suppose to do? He backed that guy in from the 3pt line with 3 hits. You might have heard me on TV with that play. Just sickening!!! Just atrocious .. you hit them back you get the foul...you flop.. you don't get the call.. you play straight up and they just lower the shoulder and back you in.. not once but 3 freaking times. I'm still irritated just thinking about that play.

I too was furious about that play. I was just yelling at the tv. Horford was doing it all game. The last time he did it he fouled Chrome out of the game which was game over for Butler. Its ashame that Horford got away with that all game.

i remember that play. and ironically on butler's previous possession, the butler guy got hit way harder with the body and the ref was making the tip signal no call. puke.