Soderberg on Sports Plus

glanderm

instead of asking "what kind of a letter grade do you give yourself for this past season?"

why not ask specifically about some of the things that most of us talk about? for istance, soderberg's insistence on the pack man to man, using an extremely short bench in particular not using the freshmen? players leaving at the semester break? his pre-season star player not living up to expectations. not signing any fall recruits. these are tough questions. these are worthy conversation instead of a random letter grade assessment.

if he didnt, then he shouldnt be doing the interview from that perspective if at all.

to answer your question directly though, i doubt if rene knott knows much of anything about the billikens or anything about st louis sports. the absolute worst sports hire in st louis maybe ever.

I hear you Roy, those are all good questions. Posing the "give yourself a letter grade question" may not have been the best way to go. But if Knott has asked some of those questions you mentioned, and then asked at the end of the interview "Brad, did your performance as coach live up to your expectations this season?" or "Were you satisfied with your own performance this season?" would you take issue with that question?

pathetic. But at the same time you can' hide behind softball interviews with Cusamano and Ramsey all the time. You gain credibility by going on some of these other shows and taking your chances. I honestly don't think recruits would mind if you said we could have done better and I won't rest until we are a constant NCAA team, etc.

he did ask both of those questions and brad said that no there were higher expectations and disappointments all around. said he wasnt about to throw any of his players or staff under the bus specifically and ultimately the buck stops with him. but no one wants to talk about that answer, only the "A" answer.

inthelou said,

"I won't rest until we are a constant NCAA team, etc."

good luck with YOU making that happen. YOU must be cheryl levick or the good father himself. if not, i wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

I didn’t see the interview, so I can only comment on what I have read on this board and Bernie's board. Renee may not be the best sportscaster, but I don't understand what is unfair or inappropriate about the question. When you agree to a live interview, you expose yourself to difficult questions. If Brad were media savvy, he would have given some generic response (e.g., "We don't tend to judge our performance in terms of grades" or "It is difficult to assign a grade to a coaching performance") and then proceeded to put out the key successes and key "opportunities for improvement."

I read Bernie's post regarding the giddy success story being spun by SLU's administration and coach following a season that was a failure by the coach and administration's own standards. I am not a Bernie fan in regards to SLU, but I think he is right on point on this one. The powers-to-be at SLU should be angry and upset that they blew a big chance to get back on the college map, and instead they are acting like it was a big success. I agree with Bernie that this suggests that the standards at SLU are set way too low.

Regardless of Bernie's thoughts or Brad's interviews, I have become so disheartened by this staff on so many levels; I am finding it difficult to be objective. Whether it is poor game-day coaching in big games (see Texas A&M, GW, Carbondale, etc.), coaching and playing down to the caliber of lesser competition, making well-publicized recruiting mistakes, or having no media or public appeal, it drives me nuts! I thought that the program "settled" when they hired Brad five years ago, and he has done little to prove me wrong. I admit there is room for improvement with the administrative resources, but very few of us understand the full story and there are about 300 D1 coaches in the country who will be envious of SLU's new facilities. Many D1 coaches are succeeding with much less. I am also curious to see how those "objective" budget stats everyone cites on this board pan out when the arena expense is factored into SLU's budget.

I said it a year ago and I will say it again today, I am not optimistic about the future of the program under Brad, but I will have to give him another year to prove me wrong because I remain a big fan of SLU basketball.