VTIME....

SLUSER

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if i am a coach and i allow one kid to fail academically just so they can play basketball, then yes, i failed and it is my fault.

so yes, only the negative. if a player is behind academically that coach does not pass them through the system to let them play basketball.

You got me. There shouldn't be any reason for a kid who moves to STL from Hannibal to not be able to play basketball for the school of the district in which he lives. And maybe I don't know the rules of transferring from a school like Career Academy.

Perhaps both of the kids did not live within Vashon's boundaries. Maybe, for example, they lived in Beaumont's district and tried to play for Vashon.

that doesnt say much for the national rankings and nike.

in fact nike should have reacted just the opposite. the fact they didnt makes one wonder what their part was in the first place.

I can name many and recently since 2000.

Arnold Britt- Missouri graduate

Jimmy McKinney- Missouri graduate

Darren Boone, senior Western Illinois

Antonio Scaife senior- SEMO

DeAlan Hicks-junior Clark-Atlanta

James Washington- freshman Western Ill.

Johnny Hill- sophomore SEMO

B. Hill- freshman Ill State

Jerry Brown- freshman Illinois

Laniya Stevens- senior Harris-Stowe

These are just athletes that the casual fan would know. There are several Vashon alums that I personally go to school that are doing just fine academically.

So not letting them play ensures academic success. If you dont let them play they'll probably drop out of school. I've seen a lot of that. For a lot of kids its the only reason they come to school. Everyone doesnt come up in a home where school is emphasized and the SLPS, from kindergarten on up isnt the most fertile climate for learning.

Yes, in any group of people, there is a small percentage of smart ones, a small percentage of dumb one's and a very large percentage in the middle. I'm saying that high schools dont always have the resources to help the kids that need it the most. Take it how you want.

Shouldn't Irons' focus be on the kids' academic well-being since they need the help? He has the connections, he can find tutors. He can get the resources for these kids. 'cause i got news for you, 99.9% of these kids aren't going to make it in life playing basketball and the sooner that some academic discipline can be installed the better.

I'm all for a kid using athletic prowess to get a scholly. But if you don't know what to do in college and have been given everything, the light isn't going to just be switched on because there are resources at your disposal.

Vtime, you really believe 25% of what you are saying on here? If so, you are definitely part of the problem and not part of the solution.

A lot of times people drag Borgia into the controversies of recruiting and such. There's just not much truth to that. A couple years ago, when Borgia won the state championship, the entire Borgia roster was made up of boys whose fathers had played at Borgia. Pretty much the same families of athletes and students there have been attending Borgia for generations.

Borgia's success comes from parents and faculty that care and kids that are motivated.

Generally, i argue with someone to try to either learn their position or to convince them of the correctness of mine. once i learn that their position and/or that they won't budge, i try to quit arguing.

I've learned your position and learned that you won't budge (either because you are just flaming (probable) or you actually support the majority of Irons' actions (maybe)).

http://www.troopsports.com/first.html

* March 5 (9:45 pm) Irons Returning to PHL?

- Credible sources close to MoSports.com have rumors swirling that former Vashon basketball coach Floyd Irons might return to the PHL with either the Wolverines or the Gateway Tech Jaguars.

I spoke with Irons on the phone Monday evening and he had a different story.

“I don’t have a comment on that†said Irons about the rumors.

Irons also said that he hasn’t talked to anyone in thePHL, including Vashon and Gateway Tech.

“Maybe there are people who are wishing that I come back. And maybe there might be people wishing that I don’t come back. So I don’t know.â€

When asked if anything was in the works Irons said, “I don’t have any comments. The Public High League is what it is. This is exactly what they wanted and it is what they got.â€

I also asked Irons about former player, Leon Powell. Powell has several Division I scholarship offers but has not committed to a program yet.

“I haven’t had a chance to talk with him,†said Irons about his former standout post-player who averaged.