VTIME....

SLUSER

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Bonner was miffed at losing the kid to another school and hated and then got mad when it happened to his incoming transfers Baldwin and Smith. He didnt know the kid was that good. He was only averaging 4ppg at Vashon as a sophomore. Once he saw that the only thing keeping him from playing Bobby Hill and that the kid had grown to 6'6, a move had to be made.

The board that said he could come back is just making waves. This ruling will be irrelevant in weeks as the state will take over and new board will be comprised of people appointed by the mayor, BOA, etc. I guarantee the new board will not let this pass.

VTime has sharpened up a little bit around here but his blind allegiance to Floyd is disturbing. This isn't just about kids playing ball. Floyd is a felon, a hood, a dumb thug, who surrounds himself with even worse people. Pocketing money he charged his own students, recruiting kids illegally, and stealing uniforms is just scratching the surface with this guy. Irons belongs in a cell. At this point his only supporters are foolish basketball junkies, his armed entourage of gangsters, and the people who he has threatened with violence.

vtime said,

"Bonner is the reason Kenny Harris and Derron Hobbs are over at Gateway Tech. He lost to Parkway South at Sectional. How can you like that. They wont even win the PHL next year. I've also heard that he is the one that petitioned to make Kenny Harris ineligible after Harris had that outstanding Whitfield tournament."

what do you mean by the last sentence? when and why did bonner make the petition against harris?

vtime said,

"There are kids playing for nearly every school that dont stay in the district big deal. Let the kids go where they want, as long as they arent being recruited, I dont see what the problem is."

the problem is that it is against the rules and gives the cheating school an advantage. how can you not see the problem?

what makes me sick is that in some cases the players that floyd recruited and enticed to cheat and play at vashon when they should have been at other schools, likely only harmed their academic progress by going to a lesser academic environment.

now if floyd actually provided the kids an academic advantage, one could at least point to that. but that is the furtherest thing from the truth.

he had all those D1 players on one team. That's a no brainer. He should have had many D1 players on all his teams. Vashon never just got players from their District. They got players from all over the place. If you have more players to choose from, you're always going to have a a good team. If I live in a District and only allow for players who live in the District to play on my team, I have to work with what I have. If I allow players to play for me from many different districts then I have a much better selection to pick my team from. If I have more players to pick from, of course I am going to field more D1 players than normal. That's a no-brainer. Vashon had a good basketball tradition and many kids wanted to play on a winning team, so they went to Vashon and play. It has been proven that his players lived out of the district, what is so difficult to understand about this. He cheated and he was caught cheating. How can anyone defend that?

Also, how do you know he didn't recruit? Did you just take his word for it? Did you spend every minute of every day with him? Did you listen to his phone calls? Did you see what his assistants were doing? You can't say for certain he didn't recruit, you can only speculate. Can we say for certain he did recruit? Well, there has been evidence he did. Also, if he cheated in regards to letting players from outside his District play on his team why wouldn't we believe he cheated when it came to recruiting. A dishonest person is a dishonest person.

Also, you say it's where a kid resides. So, you're right - If I am a young kid and I want to stay at my cousin's house and it just so happens to be in the District of the team I want to play for, then I guess that is where I reside. Don't you see anything wrong with that? Don't you have a problem with kids trying to cheat the system? Don't you have a problem with parents allowing it? Don't you have a problem with Irons allowing it or quietly avoiding knowing about it? Any way you cut it, it's cheating.

But, many get away with it and it also comes back to haunt many later in life. These kids that do never learn consequences or honesty and think they are above the system. Well, later in life they make it to the pros and have the world in their hand but because they still don't know the difference between right and wrong they get caught up in the law and legal issues and ruin their careers. It's sad and it's even sadder that their are people out there defending it on message boards.

so you are saying hobbs came home from school one day and told mom and dad to move so he could play basketball somewhere else and mom and dad did that?

so vtime, in 30 years of his coaching reign all these kids that you say gave the school wrong addresses unbeknown to floyd, floyd never once found out that the player was lying and actually lived in a different residence than he told the school?

Everyone knew Harris transferred. It was mentioned in June that he was going to Gateway Tech. All of a sudden after a brilliant tournament run to open the season, someone challenges his transfer. Its only hearsay, but the people say Bonner is the one who led the charge to get him ruled ineligible for the rest of the year. He's good to go for next year though. Why would Bonner want a Vashon transfer starring at another school. Shades of what happened to Will Franklin when transferred to Vashon except he missed his entire junior year, both sports.

your example isnt apples to apples. borgia is a private school that is in the same school district as public school washington. players indeed could go to either one.

berkeley, mccluer and mccluer north are all separate public school districts with distinct boundaries that the students within those districts are bound by law as to which one they can attend correct? if i am wrong and there is an ability to go to whatever school a student wants to go, please advise.

my daughter had to prove residence to not only attend her high school, each sports season she has to do the same before the season starts before she is allowed to participate in that particular sport. the coaches need to take some responsibility for their own rosters or at least the athletic director. who was floyd's athletic director? oh that's right it was floyd.

Floyd had kids transfer and he had kids transfer out. He had Laray Washam transfer to Marquette. He didnt report him. He let the kid play out his senior year in peace. He had Rob Murphy transfer to Sumner, he didnt petition, he let him finish out his career in peace. When there are kids who arent happy with their time and they transfer, he wishes them all the best. I was actually surprised nothing happened to an ex-Vashon player from last year that went back to McCluer this year. I'm sure he didnt move twice. He had the best year of his career and I'm sure Floyd was happy for him, and I hope bonner was too. I can name a million kids that transfer. The kids have to make the best decision for themselves personally. Johnny Hill wouldn't have gone D1 at Alton. Muse wouldnt have even gotten any offers at Riverview. If Washington and Polk went to Sumner they would've never been heard of. The kids did what they had to do to improve their stock. What is wrong with that. Would you rather have them out on the streets doing lord knows what?

i think most coaches would have taken steps to make sure it never happened in the first place. i know quite a few coaches in illinois, and in fact i dont know a single coach that has knowingly tried to use a player that lived out of district.

before we all give floyd a medal for not turning in the kids he was going to cut for transferring to another school that vtime claims should have been at vashon, don t lose sight of the likelihood that if floyd turns those schools in, it only would have shed more attention on floyd's own problems he was overlooking.

it would have been sumner and marquette's job to insure those players were legally allowed to play.

floyd's job was to insure the athletes in schools in his district were legally allowed to play.

vtime, i think tr_troops was inferring that they got to d-1 academically because of juco. that is the part that vashon failed too many kids.

the kid lived in Alton and went to Vashon. im still laughing about this one. I'm sure Floyd never knew this. Or he did, and was just trying to keep Johnny off the mean streets of ALTON. Floyd should be praised for this....he took him out of the ghetto of Alton to the beautiful and up and coming area of NORTH GRAND. what a guy!

what about the kid who got shot outside his home in Jennings? sounds like he didn't get "off the streets". i guess that one instance didnt pan out like Floyd visioned it would.

He wasnt going to cut them, they were just going to rot away on the bench because he had 4 transfers coming in J. Hill, Hicks, Muse, and Franklin. Raymond Harrell and Ben Adams should've transferred. They would've started at most schools at 6'8 most of their careers instead of rotting at the end of Vashon's bench. Hicks who transferred in from Kirkwood, should've stayed at Kirkwood where he was a promising sophomore and the top dunker in class of 2004.

you're the one that brought yeshiva up. i thought it would show that floyd truly did care about the kids and not the self glory.

The Hill's werent residing in Alton when they played for Vashon. How can you blame Floyd for a kid getting gunned down in Jennings. Floyd didnt order the hit. It was summer 2002 and they were coming off a state title. 6'10 Malik White would've been an outstanding pairing with 6'10 Curtis Muse who transferred to Vashon that summer. That would've been something.