Long-time reader, but first time-poster

MissouriAlum

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in St. Louis but grew up in Carbondale and went to SIU (They don't tell you that a reprieve from the Governor isn't required to attend a different institution of higher learning until it's too late.) so I find this conversation intriguing.

Growing up I always was a SLU fan because I thought we had more in common with SIU than with MU or UofI - lack of respect, scheduling etc... After moving here and trying to understand the high school obsession by the locals - the one thing that I most certainly noticed was the arrogance of not only MU fans but more-so of the Billikan faithful. I understand that rivalries will bring out the worst in people at times, Mets = Pond Scum, etc... But before you go bashing Missouri have a hard look in the mirror. SLU had an opportunity to join a historically good conference with a mix of private and public institutions and local rivalries already in place. What did they do? Chose to use the A-10 as a stepping stone to the "All Catholic League to be Named Later." While that decision has been debated ad nauseum on this board, those of you that feel it was a sound choice have no room to criticize MU fans that say, "At least we have a real program." That's exactly the excuse I read on this board for the snub of the Valley...

SLU's future is bright. New arena on the way - a new softball coach that might actually know something about softball... I just hope the "All Catholic League to be Named Later" comes sooner rather than, well, later.

Abomb your posts showed the kind of class Alumnifan was ripiing on a tiger fan for showing. Mybe you are a tiger fan. you fit the mold laid out by members of this board, young drunk bully.

Why don't you go get your head blown off in some worthless war. Be one of the few the proud that gave their life for bull ######.

I have NEVER heard anyone say that "we have a real program" therefore we will not join the MVC. You are either picking out one obscure post or you are MSU.

The A10 choice was about way more than men's bball, yet all the casual fans want to INSIST that SLU chose the A10 for the bball conference.

If that is the only reason you think SLU fans are arrogant, then you must have loved us for the preceeding 50+ years before the move to the A10.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

>No, it's not. A-Bomb is a veteran. He's lived through

>something you will never even have to fathom. That is just a

>classless, tasteless, inappropriate thing to say. I don't

>care what you think of him, the war, billiken roy, or coach

>soderberg. I'm sick to think you're even a Billiken fan.

You mean smart enought not to live through. What kind of idiot puts his life on the line so some rich spoiled brat can try and show up his father?

I'm the idiot> You are the one whose blood is boiling over my silly comments. More proof you guys would rather talk about this crap than bills b-ball. Another poster falls into my trap. I hope you guys didn't graduate from SLU. I thought you had to be smart or good at b-ball to go to SLU.

>This isn't about the war. You are obviously a kid. I bet

>when you grow up, you will be quite embarrased you made

>these comments. Until then, maybe the Mods will ban you for

>such awful comments toward one of the most respected posters

>on the board.

Lets remember that I went after him because he went after a new poster that was being very respectful to the board and bills fans. He drew first blood. I just shut him up. I hate to see new intelliget posters get chased away by idiots like abomb.

Timmy - welcome to the board. Let me say I am 1) a SLU fan, 2) a SIU-C fan and 3) a Mizzou/Illini fan. I also am a big fan of the MVC and wouldn't mind if the Bills ended up there. I will share a few of my personal thoughts on your following statement:

"before you go bashing Missouri have a hard look in the mirror. SLU had an opportunity to join a historically good conference with a mix of private and public institutions and local rivalries already in place"

I don't think bashing any school is a way to generate productive discussion. I will say that if you took a poll of posters on this board you would find most are either indifferent or actually Mizzou fans. When looking at message boards, I found it best not to let a few yelling and screaming to be considered what the board is really like.

Your comment about "a mix of private and public institutions" is an interesting perspective. One of the reasons I think the A10 is considered a plus over the MVC is that the A10 has 10 of its 14 schools being private universities in mid to large metro areas, compared to the MVC having 4 of its 10 teams being private schools in small to mid size metro areas. I personally don't know if this is a big issue but it shows there are different perspectives on the same issue.

Your next comment about "local rivalries already in place" is also intriguing. With SLU having been in 5 or 6 conferences over the last 30 years or so, I don't think they have any true rivals, unfortunately. I do think playing SIU-C over that past several years on a regular basis has created a lot of interest in the game and if continued in the future you might start thinking of it as a rivalry - a good idea in my opinion.

I really don't see SW Missouri (or Mo State) being a rivalry. I sort of lump them with the Illinois, Indiana and Wichita States. If SLU would become part of the MVC in the future I could see Bradley and SIUC becoming rivals.

Just a few of my thoughts.