VCU -- Public university challenge for BE7?

davidlee

If the confere

I read on the VCU message board this morning that one reason the B7 would only invite private institutions was due to the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act).

Would the FOIA be a concern if a public institution was added to the B7+5?

If the conference wanted to keep certain financial matters private - things like payouts - VCU would be obligated to publicly disclose those matters if it were a member. Makes sense, I guess.

The Freedom of Information Act requires the Federal Government, and state governments in programs in which federal money is being used, to divulge nearly all documentation to individuals or the media upon receiving a written request. Most, if not all, states have similar laws which apply to state government which are referred to as Sunshine Laws. Folks in the media are the most knowledgeable on utilizing these laws to their advantage when wanting to obtain information for a story.

I assume that what the VCU message board poster is referring to is the idea that if the new conference is made up completely of private institutions, information like the split of TV proceeds can be kept private. If VCU is included, such information would have to be made available to the media or the general public after a proper sunshine law request.

The Freedom of Information Act requires the Federal Government, and state governments in programs in which federal money is being used, to divulge nearly all documentation to individuals or the media upon receiving a written request. Most, if not all, states have similar laws which apply to state government which are referred to as Sunshine Laws. Folks in the media are the most knowledgeable on utilizing these laws to their advantage when wanting to obtain information for a story.

I assume that what the VCU message board poster is referring to is the idea that if the new conference is made up completely of private institutions, information like the split of TV proceeds can be kept private. If VCU is included, such information would have to be made available to the media or the general public after a proper sunshine law request.

Would the FOIA apply to a private institution that receives federal funds in excess of a certain threshold?

That poster is incorrect. A conference only needs one private institution to be exempt from the public records requests. That is why every conference has at least one private university.

Big 12 - Baylor

SEC - Vandy

ACC- Many

Big 10 - Northwestern

PAC - Stanford

VCU would get in because they don't fit culturally and their success is still too new.

Remember, SLU got invited to the A10 before VCU did and they will get the invite to the C7 before VCU does.

That poster is incorrect. A conference only needs one private institution to be exempt from the public records requests. That is why every conference has at least one private university.

Big 12 - Baylor

SEC - Vandy

ACC- Many

Big 10 - Northwestern

PAC - Stanford

VCU would get in because they don't fit culturally and their success is still too new.

Remember, SLU got invited to the A10 before VCU did and they will get the invite to the C7 before VCU does.

I'm not an expert in sunshine law requests but I'm pretty sure its a fairly new thing (i.e. just in the last 25 years). Vandy, northwestern, stanford have been with those conferences basically since they were formed.