Doc??

What are your friends saying about the new coach at IU? Seems like a pretty good get to me.

After the Sampson debacle, I would think the spirits should be up.

Not sure who he will have to play next year but I am sure it won't take him long to get things gong in the right direction.

the buzz is good in Btown and in Indy, folks are just wondering why this kind of hire took so long.

ps --I am still waiting on someone to give some analysis of Crean, and tell me what his record is like as far as HONESTY, CHARACTER, you know, that sort of thing. (I may have missed it, I do not scour this site as much as I used to, so forgive me if this has been answered in the 43rd posting on some thread somewhere)

pax

the buzz is good in Btown and in Indy, folks are just wondering why this kind of hire took so long.

ps --I am still waiting on someone to give some analysis of Crean, and tell me what his record is like as far as HONESTY, CHARACTER, you know, that sort of thing. (I may have missed it, I do not scour this site as much as I used to, so forgive me if this has been answered in the 43rd posting on some thread somewhere)

pax

I can't open 3-Star's link at work, and I know I've posted some of this before. Crean and his MU staff were absolutely hated by Soderberg and his staff. Not sure where the bad blood started (both have Wisco connections around the state, both were Big Ten assistants), but it was nasty. Crean often refused to shake hands after games, as did the assistants. At least once when SLU visited Marquette, Crean's staff forced SLU to have the day-before practice (scout and shootaround) in the hundred-year-old rickety gym on campus instead of their shiny new Al McGuire center, and not because the Al Center had another event. They didn't even extend the courtesy of putting out water or towels- bush league in every way. Crean is widely known as overbearing, aggressive, and detail-oriented, so there's every reason to believe he at least knew about this treatment. SLU's staff never treated Marquette or any other team this way when hosting; always opening the Scottrade Center the day before and day of the game, and often extending use of West Pine Gym if requested.

Crean is a workaholic to a fault, which comes off as overbearing and aggressive, like I said above. This results in longer mid- and late-season practices for his teams, sometimes twice in a day even in the thick of the season. If you look at Marquette's schedule and results each year since he's been there, he's had a decent amount of teams that lose a lot more down the stretch than in the first half. He just plain wears them down. He might have gotten better about this in the past couple years, I don't know that for sure, but he is known for overworking his guys.

The students I know from Marquette like Crean. I know in his earlier years there (once again, can't speak for the past 3 or so), he would go around to dorms and apartments before the season to build support among the student body. He'd literally go door to door and give them some rah-rah routine, which went a long way- student ticket demand there is extremely high. The students loved his energy. I wonder if he's had to keep this up or if it was just to build his program the first few years. This would be a lot harder to do at Indiana because it's so much bigger; plus, basketball is way more entrenched in the culture there.

He also has a pretty big ego. Sometimes he's quotable and good with the press, sometimes he comes off as an a-hole. He has a lot of traits that might not make him a fun guy to hang out with or work with, but that could also help him as a D1 coach. He won't get into the kind of trouble that Sampson did, he doesn't seem dirty like that or slimy like a Bruce Pearl-type, and as far as I know hasn't been close to any violations. But he has had a fair share of players quit on him and personality conflicts (but hey, SLU fans might know what that's like, too). I'm personally not a Crean fan but see no reason why he wouldn't succeed at Indiana.

pax

Ok, here ya go.

One of the best graduation rates in the country. Never gets in trouble with NCAA or anyone else. He knows the rules and follows them.(even though he has some friends that don't) The only other position in the country he would leave IU for is possibly and only possibly, Michigan St. The other count on one hand positions, he'll never get nor be considered. He's always wanted to coach at as high of a profile school as you can get and compete for National Titles, one of the half dozen or so. He has lots of ambition. He's a tireless worker and recruiter, non-stop, every day. He's always wanted to coach at a Kentucky, UCLA type of school.

He's a master promoter and salesman, and also a good basketball coach too. Getting IU to Final Fours won't be as challenging annually as getting Marquette to Final Fours. It's always easier to recruit to the big state schools, for many reasons, and add in the Big Ten isn't as challenging as the behemoth Big East, and IU's prosimity to recruiting. He recruits nationally, and will always start inside out. He will secure the in state kids first as best as possible and the region, and then go nationally.

He's very detail oriented, hands on every single detail that you wouldn't even imagine. i.e...oh say, what goes on the jumbotron at the under 12 timeout type of hands on, ....tons of little things no one would think of, he'll consult with the marketing firm and dept and be in on all decisions.

He's smart. He befriended Al McGuire, and went out of his way to befriend former players recent and distant and honor many of them at seemingly every home game in some way shape or form. Lots of Marquette's hoops budget went to fly former players and families into town to be a part of the current regime and re-connect with the school.

You will often see Tom in multiple cities in the same day on the recruiting trail.

He'll be received by Marquette fans with mixed emotions because he left for a lateral position, signed a ten year extension, after Marquette did a lot for him. But he also did a lot for Marquette on and off the floor. So, it will always be a mixed bag. He like many coaches is all about himself and his family first.

The Big Ten isn't going anywhere, and won't change down the road, safe. Hoops is everything at IU(he likes being big fish in small pond) and frankly it is easier to win in the Big Ten annually right now. Tv deals, money are all comparable with the conferences. But he's the one out there busting his tail every day recruiting, and it's easier to do that at IU than Marquette in his opinion. Bob Knight isn't as far removed as Al McGuire and therefore IU receives tons of media attention currently. Look at the coverage, it is all about IU and little of Marquette. Bob Knight's stilllingering presence is the reason for that and that he is a big polarizing figure.

Crean's practices are legendary for their intensity, physicality and toughness. Rick even says they are tougher than his have ever been....

He'll do well at IU. The issues for him will be how difficult it will be the first few years, and how he can get through that before he gets his kids in there and does well, and how patient the fans will be in years 1-2. Then his issue will be, will he be able to handle the annual, "Why didn't we win the national title this year and every year?" ....that is Indiana fans. They aren't as bad as Kentucky, but it will be a huge pressure cooker to get to Final Fours. He'll get the big star recruits. He'll have an easier time getting the all elusive 4-5 star big men that only very few schools nationally get. And his style of play will reflect his roster. Lots of pro sets on offense. He has hundreds of sets, but uses less than 15-20 per game. Prefers to play man to man 100% of the time when personnel allows for it. Doesn't like full court pressure very often. Team will prefer to play uptempo, but will play in 90's or 50's.

IU was lucky to land him and they know it. He'll go out of his way to continue his Bob Knight friendship and it wouldn't surprise me if he convinced Bob to go back some time and unite Bob with IU again. Crean does those types of things and sees their value to the program. He'll learn everything about IU's history and study it and honor it and try to build on it. That's what he does.

He clearly caught everyone by surprise with this move.

He's on every radio/tv station in the country, all over the place all week, all the time, ....gotta get that jump on recruiting...lol....always the multi-tasker. He leaves no stone unturned.

He's a solid guy. People like him. Those who don't simply are guessing or agenda hating from afar.

IU took so long to answer your question, because they didn't land their first choice. They also had to wait until some teams stopped playing. I think many IU fans are off the charts unrealistic, just as UK fans were last year when they were turned down time and time again. Many coaches have figured out that you can win, make good money and have a less pressure cooker gig for a long time with their family at some other places. Now, I do believe that most goog non-BCS conference teams will lose their coaches to BCS conference schools. There will be some exceptions, but once in a BCS league, things are more equal and easier. Then it is a matter of football vs hoops schools, etc...and commitment to winning.

IU got a lucky bail out. Time will tell if it is a long term successful relationship, but short term, I think it will be very good for IU. Long term remains to be seen.

Thanks for the reports. I am beginning to get fairly excited about the future of IU roundball again...

I actually liked IU at times this past season, and saw a few games where Eric Gordan of DJ White looked like one of the best 1-2 punches in the country. I predicted that they would make some noise in the tourney but they lost in the first round to a so-so Arkansas group. but now. . . .

here's a nice quote by Crean:

"I'm taking over a very challenging situation, and I know it is and you know it is," he said. "But that lit something in my heart because Indiana is bigger than any one person. I can't tell you with eloquence how I feel. It's Indiana. It's Indiana."

YES! IT'S INDIANA!!!! bigger than any one person. all hail the hoosier state! (though I am still not sure why Indiana leaps out at him so strongly --does he have any hoosier connections??)

so long for now...

Thanks for the reports. I am beginning to get fairly excited about the future of IU roundball again...

I actually liked IU at times this past season, and saw a few games where Eric Gordan of DJ White looked like one of the best 1-2 punches in the country. I predicted that they would make some noise in the tourney but they lost in the first round to a so-so Arkansas group. but now. . . .

here's a nice quote by Crean:

"I'm taking over a very challenging situation, and I know it is and you know it is," he said. "But that lit something in my heart because Indiana is bigger than any one person. I can't tell you with eloquence how I feel. It's Indiana. It's Indiana."

YES! IT'S INDIANA!!!! bigger than any one person. all hail the hoosier state! (though I am still not sure why Indiana leaps out at him so strongly --does he have any hoosier connections??)

so long for now...

I know you aren't that naive Doc. College hoops is a business. Crean said the same things about Marquette. Quotes don't mean much. Indiana leaps out at him because he is getting $2.3 million per year for the next 8 years.($3million buyout first few years) It's in the Big Ten where he has coached, in the Midwest where he has lived and coached, and where he's already recruited. It's easier to compete than the behomoth Big East. The school is committed to hoops and it's an easier school to recruit to than where he was previously. As for IU connections....he's close friends with Kelvin Sampson, and also friends with Bob Knight. That's about it with his Indiana connections, except for recruiting Dominic James out of Richmond Indiana. Bob Knight is not far removed from IU hoops and therefore IU is currently still in the spotlight in regards to hoops.